Very limited IFF - Can someone briefly explain what that means?

Mr_sukebe

I wonder why square and diamond was chosen, because there is danger of confusion if one is in a banked turn, a square becomes a diamond when looked at from a 45 degree bank angle. Think square/triangle or square/pentagon would be easier to distinguish. Wonder what the real life symbology is...

Strange as it might seem, we think about this kind of thing when designing and developing aircraft systems. ;)

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

You're correct, but also it's just a quick WIP. I expect they'll put different symbology in time and things won't be confusing.

I think the symbol should be a diamond and not a square that has been rotated 90 degrees. Right now, we have the latter. And yes, there is a difference. When you're turning with head movement on, it is easy to mistake a diamond for a square with your head turning. A diamond should be a rhombus with four equal sides but no 90 degree angles. The mind is quicker to see that kind of figure and distinguish it from a square rotated...OR we could go with enemy diamond red and friendly green... :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As I don't have the update yet, can someone verify what is displayed when armed with an A-A weapon and the locked target gets within range? Specifically, if it is a hostile, "SHOOT" should be displayed above the diamond, and for a friendly/unknown, "IN LAR" above the TD square. (acknowledge it is still wip)

I think the HUD Symbology is correct concerning the diamond and the box.

You can see at the edge of the HUD Video that the training “hostile” is a diamond.

At 8:57 the Targetbox changes to the diamond on the left HUD Video in the lower left corner.

Edited by TaoGaming

I think the HUD Symbology is correct concerning the diamond and the box.

You can see at the edge of the HUD Video that the training “hostile” is a diamond.

At 8:57 the Targetbox changes to the diamond on the left HUD Video in the lower left corner.

Not exactly correct (or same if using this video as a reference). There is small arrow above diamond (can be seen 0:54) which would help clearing the confusion of mixing diamond with the box.

Not exactly correct (or same if using this video as a reference). There is small arrow above diamond (can be seen 0:54) which would help clearing the confusion of mixing diamond with the box.

You’re right. I didn’t see that before. That makes things a lot easier to distinguish between the box and the diamond.

Thanks for the Info.

At the moment it only checks if the Targetbox is in the HUD area. Is that intentional or is that a bug?

When I lock a friendly track that is not direktly infront of me it will display it as a diamond and only change it if I navigate it infront of the plane to a box.

If I lock a friendly target that already is infront of my plane it immediately displays a box.

Has anyone else encountered this behaviour?

Same here, it's very finicky at the moment. I was flying back to base yesterday and almost went weapons hot on a friendly AWACS because it was displaying as a diamond. I'll test a little more today.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Same here, it's very finicky at the moment. I was flying back to base yesterday and almost went weapons hot on a friendly AWACS because it was displaying as a diamond. I'll test a little more today.

I had a Mig29 closing in from heads on onto Texaco. Texaco was a 12 o'clock too. I armed weapons, Aim 7, i got a lock, diamond, identified as hostile, i got a green "shoot", Fox1, hit. I seldom score a hit with a Fox1. Fox2 are way better. Unfortunately this time, the Mig was still there and I realized this exactly when that bloody archer struck me. Right stab gone, right wing flaps gone, wingtip gone. But hey, I stayed in the air and made it back to Batumi. Belly landing ;) My wingman kicked the Mi29 a**

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S