Delight to Fly (after the Dora)

Weegie

I rarely do combat, so this is just about the flying qualities

I jumped into the Spit after a lot of time in the Hornet and Viper, jeez back to the learning curve

After mastering it again (well as much as I can master anything, about average on a good day), I jumped into the Dora.

I know the Dora is good if you keep it fast but after the Spit it felt like going from a Sportscar to a Bus. The low speed handling and turning of the Dora is unbelievably ponderous. I cannot get away with how much fun the Spit is to fly in comparison

I know the Dora is Boom & Zoom and is superior in a fight as it can choose to attack or make a run for it, therefore command the fight, but for the sheer fun of flying the Spit is a real thoroughbread.

I can appreciate the confidence it gave its pilots even if that was purely illusionary, it just responds to every command so easily

Great Module :thumbup:

Agreed, it's currently my favorite out of them all

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Spitfire feels the most rewarding to fly in my opinion, then again I'm british so biased :D.

Narrow gear track, fixed sight, wobble pump and a big old Merlin to get you hual you through the air. Oh and differential brakes to stop you.

It takes an exceptional pilot to deal with a good spitfire pilot because of the turning capability.

I hope that ED will finish spitfire soon.

I'm curious … what is outstanding ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hello,

On my side also, I like this Spitfire module. As already mentioned, narrow gear, taxi with its brake, ‘’mastering’’ the take-off and landing … without forgotten this beautiful cockpit :)

I have built some ‘’short’’ missions on Normandy map on which I like to play.

I have also played on Fw190A-8 and Bf109K4, but I do not find the specificity I like on Spitfire.

Belly

Edited by Belly

Bf 109 K-4 / Fw 190 A-8 / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / P51-D / Normandy 1944 map + ww2 assets pack

I'm curious … what is outstanding ?

We know the damage model is being replaced, which might be what he's talking about. As I understand it, that will also include an update to the engine/heat modelling, which appears to be "not quite right" as is.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Yeah I'm also blurry on what he means. Currently the Spitfire itself is finished. Only items left to change will effect all warbirds, not Spitfire specifically

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

We know the damage model is being replaced, which might be what he's talking about. As I understand it, that will also include an update to the engine/heat modelling, which appears to be "not quite right" as is.

Ram air/ thermostatic vales in cooling system,

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I also wouldn't mind the old, fake windscreen reflections removed / tweaked as they were in last 51/190D/109 "great cockpits overhaul", because now these reflections stick out like a sore thumb.

The whole cockpit texturing and shading lags behind the other warbirds quality-wise, because not all of it has been updated for 2.5.4+ compatibility.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

One item I consider outstanding is the option to install the Gyro Mk.II gunsight. By March 1944 all Spitfire Mk.IX in squadron service had been fitted with one.

Old hacks like ours, built in early '43, would have been removed from frontline squadrons and relegated to OCUs, maintenance training or long term storage.

Part of the delight is also certainly due to believable engine sounds, which was not the case before. It was a huge improvement in the overall feeling when flying one of the most beautiful airplane. :thumbup:

Let's hope the difference will also be perceived and recognized by other module makers, and that some effort will be put into increasing the sound quality of their products ;)

I also wouldn't mind the old, fake windscreen reflections removed / tweaked as they were in last 51/190D/109 "great cockpits overhaul", because now these reflections stick out like a sore thumb.

++ I could do without that too, when the user viewpoint changes and the fake reflections remain at the same place, they are inevitably seen as a stain on the canopy, which makes the cockpit environment feel very cheap.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

One item I consider outstanding is the option to install the Gyro Mk.II gunsight. By March 1944 all Spitfire Mk.IX in squadron service had been fitted with one.

Old hacks like ours, built in early '43, would have been removed from frontline squadrons and relegated to OCUs, maintenance training or long term storage.

part of me wants the gyro sight but part of me doesnt, i question its effectiveness considering how much the cowling blocks sight downwards.

then again if the raf considered it good enough to warrent putting it in future aircraft it must be half decent :D

So like I say, make it an option, that way we have an aircraft that is good for early 1943 to early 1944 and from there to the end of the war. They just need to adjust manifold pressure for the later part.

Trials with the Mk I Gyro indicated a 50% improvement in gunnery

I personally, if given the sight, would have it always on fixed.

The whole cockpit texturing and shading lags behind the other warbirds quality-wise, because not all of it has been updated for 2.5.4+ compatibility.

1) take a copy of the current cockpit texture file Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip from Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.

2) download https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3632750 the zip file from this thread

3) extract SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_RoughMet.dds from the zip file in 2

4) copy SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_RoughMet.dds into the copy of Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip you made

5) either make a MOD via OvGME or backup the orgional Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip file and copy over your modified zip file

6) sit back and enjoy a mostly clean cockpit window

I also copied in the High contrast gauges in to the same textures.zip from https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302602/

I can't post the full zip file, doing so violates several T&C's.

HTH

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

1) take a copy of the current cockpit texture file Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip from Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.

2) download https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3632750 the zip file from this thread

3) extract SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_RoughMet.dds from the zip file in 2

4) copy SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_RoughMet.dds into the copy of Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip you made

5) either make a MOD via OvGME or backup the orgional Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip file and copy over your modified zip file

6) sit back and enjoy a mostly clean cockpit window

I also copied in the High contrast gauges in to the same textures.zip from https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302602/

I can't post the full zip file, doing so violates several T&C's.

HTH

I think it is not going to pass integrity check.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I think you will find it does...

y4mekJmDJQBQoPVY_Yt2a4Zlh6-R-n4TsFIXqr0iPZqdDzvsOs2uIqrN07C1QyA-UJdP8cpLNAJqq-joYrojTdpBvGGG7F-fPy6YBdVFSE07osr9vOgQyMuqfNZepM8bTHJtC776ajCUfapMuZ8CDVrrEEGbkeiTdpgOGKstvGy2VEBp9pL0EzBi-zkqHDDoPzT

as you can see , my integrity check fails because I have made changes in the scripts database, the countrydb for USA, Norway and UK Troops... but the changes I made in the zipfile are ignored

Edited by speed-of-heat

and your point?

Just observation.

I don't have a single mod instaled heh

Edited by grafspee

:) and now you know you can without breaking IC ...

• 4 weeks later...
Spitfire feels the most rewarding to fly in my opinion, then again I'm british so biased :D.

Narrow gear track, fixed sight, wobble pump and a big old Merlin to get you hual you through the air. Oh and differential brakes to stop you.

It takes an exceptional pilot to deal with a good spitfire pilot because of the turning capability.

The spitfire is the most beautiful machine ever produced for me in history. Sir Mitchell did a splendid job !!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vista, Suerte y al TORO !!