[NEED TRACK REPLAY]AIM-120's losing their mind

silentbob11

Any one got the feeling that AIM-120's became very inaccurate and losing their lock with the slightest maneuver the tgt A/C does when in TWS?

SB11

That actually is one of the RL drawbacks of TWS - that it typically doesn't handle aggressively maneuvering targets all that well. Certainly not as good as STT.

The very definition of Track WHILE Scan means that its a compromise mode attempting to do both tracking and scanning. However, if its losing lock with "slight" maneuvers by the bandit, that doesn't sound normal.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

There is currently an issue with midcourse guidance. All ARH missiles are suffering from it.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=258817

Ah, apologies. I didn't read the OP question correctly. I thought he meant that TWS was losing lock. I see now that the missiles aren't guiding correctly.

And to pick nits on terminology in the OP - But if the missiles are still in the midcourse phase, the missiles are not "losing lock" as they are not active yet. They are just being updated by the radar to fly to a point in space so when they open their eyes, the missile radar can see the target and fly to intercept it. If the missiles then acquire the target and lock on with its own radar, it will ignore the fighter radar updates at that point. So being in TWS or STT shouldn't have any effect once its gone active. That's why you could snip and drag out once they go active.

But as Cypher said - if there is a known issue with DCS and midcourse guidance of ARH missiles, then that seems to be more of a radar issue and not a missile issue. I do know I've tried shooting AIM-120s at bandits from both STT and TWS in F-16 and supporting them to active and then snipping and dragging, but my success rate seems very low. Not sure if its an F-16 thing, missile thing or just user error.

Dunno, but hopefully ED are on it if there is a known issue.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 2 weeks later...

My last attack on an F-16

Distance = 4 miles

My speed = 1.12 Mach

Speed ​​F-16 = 0.9 Mach (corrected)

F-16 position = FLANK

SHOTT = FOX 3 X 2

Missiles are lost and the F-16 runs away as if it were a walk through a field of poppies. I do not know what the behavior of the AMRAAM should be because I do not have access to manuals or theoretical or physical knowledge, but what is clear is that after the latest updates, the AIM-120C operated by the Hornet does not reach even a snail paralyzed and behaves more like a semi-active, than like a shot and forget. In short, a Mach F-16 at 0.09 escapes an attack 4 miles from a Hornet on Mach 1.12.

Edited by atazar

• ED Team

Hi all, if you have short track replays showing this please attach them.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2