F/A-18C on Steam

Pluscrafter

My question is really about the price. I see no mention of it and everybody is ignoring the question.

I really don't care about Steam, but I am interested in what the cost will be.

They won’t tell how much it will cost before they give an early access date. It’s been like this with all ED modules. It won’t change now.

I would like to see less discrimination against steam DCS users on this board. Get tired of hearing people try to push steam users to standalone.

No one is pushing anyone. You're absolutely free to stay on Steam. At the same time the release cycle of DCS including both standalone versions and Steam should be more than obvious to everyone. Modules come much later to Steam than to standalone and unless there is something new communicated from ED there is no reason to ask the same question over and over again, discussing and coming to the forum to complain about it for a million times.

People may be reacting this way as there is more than enough information about the drawbacks of using DCS with Steam.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I would like to see less discrimination against steam DCS users on this board. Get tired of hearing people try to push steam users to standalone.

1. What kind of discrimination are you talking about? Steam doesn’t allow beta DLCs. Point.

2. You are free to want to stick to steam, just for your information, ED or third party devs get less money if you buy their products on steam rather than stand alone. You are to not care of course.

3. What does steam bring other than waiting longer than the others? You can lunch DCS from Steam as an external game.

1. What kind of discrimination are you talking about? Steam doesn’t allow beta DLCs. Point.

2. You are free to want to stick to steam, just for your information, ED or third party devs get less money if you buy their products on steam rather than stand alone. You are to not care of course.

3. What does steam bring other than waiting longer than the others? You can lunch DCS from Steam as an external game.

1. Fair point, for the most part.

2. Given, that there are sales basically every week, by ED in their store, as well as those are targeted at the already existing community instead using the possibility to reach a wider audiance, makes this argument invalid. ("You are to not care of course.")

3. This argument is mostly invalid, since this "later launch" is merely artificial. Specifically because modules are so long in development that two weeks more or less don't really matter.

Furthermore, Steam brings actually a vast amount of functionality to the table, which is just not used by ED, yet. Yet somehow, parts of the DCS community seem to want ED to develop a platfrom the contains all the functionality Steam already provides out of the box. As if the development of such a system would cost nothing. Plus, Steam is specifically build for this purpose and successful in it, for years already.

However, we are getting slightly off topic.

2. Given, that there are sales basically every week, by ED in their store, as well as those are targeted at the already existing community instead using the possibility to reach a wider audiance, makes this argument invalid. ("You are to not care of course.")

3. This argument is mostly invalid, since this "later launch" is merely artificial. Specifically because modules are so long in development that two weeks more or less don't really matter.

Furthermore, Steam brings actually a vast amount of functionality to the table, which is just not used by ED, yet. Yet somehow, parts of the DCS community seem to want ED to develop a platfrom the contains all the functionality Steam already provides out of the box. As if the development of such a system would cost nothing. Plus, Steam is specifically build for this purpose and successful in it, for years already.

However, we are getting slightly off topic.

1. Cleared.

2. Steam gets a percentage of every sale so yes it’s less revenue for them if you chose to use steam. Of course, steam must be supported because many won’t buy at all if there wasn’t steam. In fact I discovered DCS on steam and bought my first modules there and then migrated to the stand alone.

3.1. Well no, there are long weeks between launches of modules on the stand alone and steam . But if you find the delay acceptable, there is no harm to wait I agree.

3.2. It could be that there are plenty of features that aren’t supported by ED. But that means that there are no advantages of steam over stand alone. There is a major disadvantage which is the unnecessary delay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steam might widen the scope of EDs products but fundamentally, Steam holds back access, ED doesn't. I also find the constant pop ups whenever you log on to Steam to be annoying, and intrusive.

Steam are dictating terms to ED, and there is no bias whatsoever regarding release dates - apart from the conditions laid down by Steam themselves.

I really can't see any advantage to using Steam, and if possible I'd only buy free standing games. Unfortunately that choice is being taken out of our hands. So the bias, all comes from the Steam end of things, and not from ED.

And the OPs answer will be no, it will be delayed on Steam probably by months.

• 2 weeks later...
Probably the devs state them as non beta so steam allow them on the store.

I am not sure of that, example with L-39 or it was indicated that he was not ended and he had an example of what the ZA to go to bring when the module would be updated

Or with Harrier :

Further additions coming:

Moving map

GPS-guided weapons

Fully functional inertial navigation system

Additional targeting pod features

Auto pilot modes

I am not sure of that, example with L-39 or it was indicated that he was not ended and he had an example of what the ZA to go to bring when the module would be updated

Or with Harrier :

I’m not sure if it either. I remember Wags saying that Steam doesn’t allow Beta DLCs. I take his word for that. Either steam changed their rules or the devs officially inform steam that these are released DLCs. They still can add additional features like the case of the harrier that you mentioned. Being out of beta doesn’t mean improvements and additional features stop.

Just a small input to this conversation. I see two advantages to Steam (for ED). It has a very large market footprint which should increase revenue not reduce it (ie rev = price * qty). The other advantage for me personally is the steam wallet. This is a bit on the not so up and up realm but i buy steam gift cards at my local grocery store with cash so my wife doesn't know i'm doing it. I also get gift cards for BDs and Christmas. If i can purchase DLCs from steam and use the keys in the standalone version then that would negate that advantage. In which case i would go for the standalone version. Is this later point true (that i can use my steam dlc cd keys in the standalone game)?

Just a small input to this conversation. I see two advantages to Steam (for ED). It has a very large market footprint which should increase revenue not reduce it (ie rev = price * qty). The other advantage for me personally is the steam wallet. This is a bit on the not so up and up realm but i buy steam gift cards at my local grocery store with cash so my wife doesn't know i'm doing it. I also get gift cards for BDs and Christmas. If i can purchase DLCs from steam and use the keys in the standalone version then that would negate that advantage. In which case i would go for the standalone version. Is this later point true (that i can use my steam dlc cd keys in the standalone game)?

Surely your wife has her own weaknesses that you can exploit here? Shoes? Haircuts? New outfits?:D

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this topic, Steam doesn't seem to care what developers do as far as DLC when it comes to these things. This is a little bit different but when you think about what the ARK devs did

releasing DLC while they were still in early access, Steam didn't get involved nor give a shit. I think they could release the Hornet as a DLC while it's in early access on Steam if they wanted to. Since I bought Nevada & M-2000 on Steam after the announcement that was made on Steam, I'm stuck with it and I personally don't like being shunned away from Steam to play other games because that's where I prefer to stay exclusively.