Improved stability and dedicated server - Discussion - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #41
atomicus_pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
SO every server host out there experiences this? If so, please point me to the thread with all the logs from these crashes, I will make sure its reported.

Then all those twitch streams I watch daily with people playing multiplayer are not real? I am confused on what unplayable means in this case.
Sure, i can provide you that, but I'll need to disable the software that does it, i'll pm you that.

But, since we added this logic, it's been running ok.
We're waiting for the weekend to test it at full load - with 40ppl on it.

But to be honest, logs will not tell you much. DCS just stops, i've checked the logs. Nothing strange.

First of all server goes black, it works for a bit of time (2-3 mins) as I can see stats comming from it (peopl do land, kill, takeoff) and then it just "is not responding".

Anyway, we will run it, i'll send it to you.

+

I've played a lot on servers, there was no single one who would not crash at some point. Sure, the ones that had like 4 players were stable. But when there's 30+ players, it get's hard.

And what can you do with less ppl, you need sead, cap, cas on both sides. Some ppl say it's all ok for them, and it might be true.

In our comunity we have ppl who can't join server for like couple of weeks, some of them have no problems.
For me is mixed, every other patch it's all ok, for others, it's not.

I do dev. for a living, and I know that this might be hard to track as it might be just stupid race condition that happens here, not there, but still it is there.
atomicus_pl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 PM   #42
Acidictadpole

Quote:
He was taking a very unscientific sampling of current users in MP, so in return I took a very unscientific sample of people upset with MP.
That seems like the wrong way to go about proving a point

I've made it a personal goal of mine to make hoggit the most welcoming place for people interested in combat flight simming. We run a server welcoming new people every Tuesday, where anyone can come in and ask questions and not be fearful of being called out for doing something incorrectly or not knowing something.

Pretty much every week I have been involved in this Tuesday practice, there has been someone asking about multiplayer issues, or complaining about crashes to desktop / "dcs has stopped responding". The saddest part of all this to me is that the response from people is "Welcome to DCS". We've grown accustomed to the crashes, and the instability. But seeing a new person who's just learned to take off, or drop a GBU on target, get so excited about doing a thing in a study sim like DCS, get so disheartened because they take multiple attempts to join a server after their game crashes or the game fails to load entirely just breaks my heart.

I do what I can to dig in to the logs and pick out specific problems for them to work on, but in doing so I also think about all the people trying to face this kind of problem alone.

I want the "Welcome to DCS" part to not be responses to crashes or instability problems, but instead I want to tell people "Welcome to DCS" when they finish their first multiplayer mission, or first carrier landing.
Acidictadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #43
jers

Quote:
Then all those twitch streams I watch daily with people playing multiplayer are not real? I am confused on what unplayable means in this case.
What it comes down to is that pretending there isn't an issue isn't going to be productive. Unplayable doesn't mean that the game runs and is capable of playing multiplayer, but what it comes down to is the things you have to put up with to both actually play online (deal with crashes, desyncs, server restarts and crashes) and what we as server operators have to do to provide multiplayer at any kind of scale (pay thousands monthly for servers, created reduced experiences to keep the engine from pooping upon itself, put up with restarts multiple times a day, reboots of the entire system and the workarounds we have to do when the game does crash and refuses to serve again until you load up an offline mission) leads to the game being unplayable because it's simply not worth the effort to continue playing, or serving.

Stability scales with complexity of mission, and simply put you don't have to push very hard to break the engine. And we're not running things out of a virtualbox instance in a basement either.
jers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #44
Esper

Happy to have a big and clear "We hear you and and at hard work" on this issue.
While whispers saying things are in the work was clearly heard, it wasn't a hard statement either.
This post is reassuring.
Thanks Wags.

T.16000M FCS HOTAS
Owned : Flaming Cliff 3 | Mig-21Bis | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C | F-5E | Mirage 2000C
Wishlist : F-14 | F-4 | Mi-24 | MiG-23 | F-15E
Dev. Wishlist : F-16 | Tornado | Mirage F1 | MiG-25 | F-104 | Étendard/Super Étendard | Saab 35 Draken
Esper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #45
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers View Post
pretending there isn't an issue isn't going to be productive.
Did you read Wags post, ED is certainly not pretending there isnt an issue, and moving forward with efforts to make it better.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #46
Sport

Quote:
SO every server host out there experiences this? If so, please point me to the thread with all the logs from these crashes, I will make sure its reported.

I encourage you to help us be part of the solution, to make DCS a multi-player friendly simulation, where we can attract a larger audience and community of people who yearn for a massive multiplayer realistic combat flight simulator. In fact, come join us on the more popular multiplayer servers and see the issues we're talking about first hand! Hopefully you'll have fun and maybe see a few of the bugs the people in this thread are pointing out first hand, and possibly find a better way of reporting them - If any one could, I'm sure it'll be you!

You watch any twitch streamer long enough and you'll see the issues we're mentioning. You'll see the frustration that so many people have - things that I wouldn't exactly want broadcast across the interwebs about MY game.

EXAMPLE: https://clips.twitch.tv/AuspiciousSc...sDoubleRainbow

To all those replying in this thread, I encourage you to be civil, and to post tracks, twtich clips, videos, etc highlighting some of the more frustrating aspects of multi-player, so we can help ED address the issues and make it more attractive for new people to come into. I'm sure most of you, like myself, LOVE the product ED has created and find the ability to fly some legendary combat aircraft with and against our friends to be the most enjoyable part - so lets make our voices heard, but do so in a civil and helpful manner - leave your emotions at the door!
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #47
jared9191

Thanks Wags for the statement, hopefully things will improve in the not to distant future.

I really feel if the MP environment becomes healthier, DCS will only continue to grow, and that would be a very good thing for all of us here.
jared9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #48
Wags
ED Team

Thanks and we greatly appreciate your efforts!

As noted in my earlier post, this is a very complex issue that requires multiple changes by both us and the servers. We believe that network play is a vital part of DCS World and we're doing all we can to improve it from our end.

Thanks,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidictadpole View Post
That seems like the wrong way to go about proving a point

I've made it a personal goal of mine to make hoggit the most welcoming place for people interested in combat flight simming. We run a server welcoming new people every Tuesday, where anyone can come in and ask questions and not be fearful of being called out for doing something incorrectly or not knowing something.

Pretty much every week I have been involved in this Tuesday practice, there has been someone asking about multiplayer issues, or complaining about crashes to desktop / "dcs has stopped responding". The saddest part of all this to me is that the response from people is "Welcome to DCS". We've grown accustomed to the crashes, and the instability. But seeing a new person who's just learned to take off, or drop a GBU on target, get so excited about doing a thing in a study sim like DCS, get so disheartened because they take multiple attempts to join a server after their game crashes or the game fails to load entirely just breaks my heart.

I do what I can to dig in to the logs and pick out specific problems for them to work on, but in doing so I also think about all the people trying to face this kind of problem alone.

I want the "Welcome to DCS" part to not be responses to crashes or instability problems, but instead I want to tell people "Welcome to DCS" when they finish their first multiplayer mission, or first carrier landing.

i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10, 1TB SSD, TM Hornet stick and Warthog throttle, and Track IR 5 with default settings.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #49
jers

"both us and the servers"

I'm game for this. These changes that need to be made I'm super on board with it, but we definitely take incredible care with our code and do a lot to ensure that our scripting is lean and does at little as possible to facilitate dynamic feeling missions, and as soon as we leave the realm of trivial, we encounter issues. Is there specifics around this?
jers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #50
funkyb

Quote:
Moving forward, we are investigating “official servers” that will offer many benefits. One of the chief items will be that the server and missions must provide a quality online experience. We’ll be talking more about this later in the year.
That language makes me nervous. I dream of the day we have a proper dedicated server binary for linux that we can run on our own metal.

The quote makes me wonder if we're instead headed for curated hosting companies with canned mission packs. "The bronze package includes the basic mission pack and supports up to 5 players! For the serious pilots we offer the high performance tier that supports up to 10 players and comes with the bonus mission pack!"

I hope that's not the case.
funkyb is offline   Reply With Quote