Update for A-10 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 03:38 AM   #11
TechRoss

Boy the cockpit needs work. I have been flying the FA-18C for a couple weeks, and over the weekend I was just frustrated so decided to hop in the trusty Hog and blow some shit up. I could not fly the jet. Bearing in mind I am on a very low spec system, but coming from the Hornet cockpit that I can read to not even being able to make out the HUD properly in the Hog. I don't actually know how I flew it with my old eyes in the past. I had to go on memory to remember what button does what and got spoiled in the Hornet being able to actually read the cockpit.

Can't wait for ED to update the graphics in the Hog, it will be like a whole new jet and fun to get back into.
TechRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
mastersetter

I cant understand what the issue with the hud is? It's clear and no problem to use for me, and always has been?? Also looking forward to an update, i'd like to see some up to date skins and models, pave penny removed etc
Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #13
Cacique

Default HUD scaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
A correctly scaled HUD when in VR would be wonderful please
This. Scaling in VR seems off. It is too big. I've read that in the real jet the pilot must move his head to see all of it, but i don't think is suppose to be everything. Right now I have to lean and sink my head in order to see the nose symbol or raise my head quite a bit to see the heading tape at the bottom.

Also, fix thermal imaging and better resolution for cockpit of course.
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
Greyman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHMbkKi-QYo

This appears to suggest that the real HUD information all fits into the display.

Surely it wouldn't make sense for the pilot to have to move his head to see all parts of the HUD, especially in the heat of battle?
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
TechRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersetter View Post
I cant understand what the issue with the hud is? It's clear and no problem to use for me, and always has been?? Also looking forward to an update, i'd like to see some up to date skins and models, pave penny removed etc
I am on a very low spec machine and battle to see the HUD very well. Can not read any labels in the cockpit, I go from memory. I zoom close to the HUD which feels a little un real. If they get the A-10 to look like the Hornet it would be so cool. I miss the 30mm when flying the Hornet.

Will pull a screen shot of each tomorrow for comparison.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
TechRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #16
Harzach

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EHMbkKi-QYo

This appears to suggest that the real HUD information all fits into the display.
That's gun camera video, not a video from the pilot's perspective.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #17
3WA

Yeah, the cockpit is kind of hard to read. Could be a little sharper.
3WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 AM   #18
Emmy

I'm on a very average rig using Track IR and what I do is lean back just a little when I center my TIR and then reset my seat location and I can easily see all the HUD info. Is that not possible with VR? Textures have to be on high or else displays and placards are soft.

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php
High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.
www.crosswindimages.com
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #19
Greyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harzach View Post
That's gun camera video, not a video from the pilot's perspective.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, but my point about forcing the pilot to move around to be able to see all of the information on the HUD still stands.
Greyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #20
Harzach

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up for me, but my point about forcing the pilot to move around to be able to see all of the information on the HUD still stands.
Pretty sure our resident crew chiefs have confirmed that's the way it is? Or maybe the behavior you are describing is more pronounced. There are a lot of posts here regarding HUD/cockpit scaling, in 2D and in VR, with comments covering the spectrum of "100% accurate/realistic" to "completely wrong." That indicates to me that there is a lot of variation in the way we are all configuring our systems and settings. I just got all of my stuff unpacked and set up this week, after six long months of moving/renovating, so I hope to start sorting through this issue for myself soon.