VAC Profile Generator + DCS:BS2 & DCS:A-10C Profiles

New Static ATC Version: If you are using sthompson's Static ATC mod for DCS 1.5.6/ (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3090920#post3090920), download this version to generate VAC profiles that let you say things like "Vaziani Tower, inbound" rather than "Tower 1, inbound" (only works for Caucasus currently).

So I wrote a quick little VAC profile generator script. This script takes an easy-to-read description of the comms menus in a DCS game, such as this excerpt:

F1 Two
 F1 &navigation
   F1 Anchor Here
   F2 R T B, Return To Base
   F3 Reference My S P I, Reference My Spee, Reference My Target
   F4 Reference My Steerpoint
   F5 Reference Tanker, Refuel
F2 Flight
 F1 *navigation

...and turns it into a VAC profile with full phrases like "Two Reference My Steerpoint." This way people can easily create and edit VAC profiles.

This is only appropriate for sims with nested comms menus (like DCS and Falcon 4), and currently only works with F-keys and basic keyboard keys, so it's a little limited.

To run, download the zip file and extract. You'll need to understand how to read and write Ruby 2.x code, as well as having Ruby and the Bundler gem installed on your system. Consult the example .vacc files to get started. To run, execute from the command line like so (*nix command line format):

ruby generate.rb path/to/file.vacc > output_profile.xml

Adjust the above for MS-DOS if needed.

Generator Script.zip

Edited by Stretch
Updated with Viggen profile
  • Like 1

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

PC and Peripherals: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RISCfuture/saved/#view=DMp6XL

Win10 x64 — BMS — DCS — P3D

Just want the VAC profiles? See http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92591

Edited by Stretch

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Other handles: Strikeout (72nd VFW, 15th MEU Realism Unit), RISCfuture (BMS forums)

looks interesting, thanks! I've just started looking at VAC. The profile for BS2 seems to be missing the initial "\" to bring up the comms menu for the commands, whats the go with that?

Realism. In the real Ka-50 you can't just start talking into your headset; likewise in the sim you must key in the mic. Bind it to a joystick key.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Realism. In the real Ka-50 you can't just start talking into your headset; likewise in the sim you must key in the mic. Bind it to a joystick key.

ok, the way I look at it is pressing the "VAC" listen key is like hitting the mic switch, I dont want to have to press another key to open the "comms" or say something like "open comms" to get the menu to accept my VAC command.

maybe you can offer a profile that does either way?

cheers

Sorry but VAC fails in every way compared to Game Commander 2

The interface is terrible

The programs ability to understand what you say fails in comparison

Maybe you should consider switching up.

Oh and spikenet you can have the same joystick button control TS3 and GC2 with most joystick using the switch function (usually on the pinky switch). So you can use both things and it only takes one button and the location is easy to remember.

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ZQuickSilverZ, I'll checkout Game Commander, so far pretty impressed with VAC, but I do agrea the GUI is clunky! Much easier and faster to use notepad++ to edit the xml directly.

cheers

edit: tried to find game commander, the official website no longer exists so looks like its long dead.

Edited by spikenet
update

ok, the way I look at it is pressing the "VAC" listen key is like hitting the mic switch, I dont want to have to press another key to open the "comms" or say something like "open comms" to get the menu to accept my VAC command.

maybe you can offer a profile that does either way?

cheers

I can see that but then how do you manage something like DCS: Warthog, where there are three different mic switches for three different radios?

I don't use a PTT key for VAC; I simply let it listen all the time. If I'm worried about spurious inputs I use the Close Channel and Open Channel commands. Though it is hard to say "Close Channel!" just before a sneeze.

Edited by Stretch

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Here is a link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3137q4kt4fe2uep

If this breaks any kind of copyright law admins just erase this. I am not sure how that works for software. This has not been sold in any form for years and Microsoft has shown no interest in reselling it that I am aware of. You litterly cannot buy this software anymore.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can see that but then how do you manage something like DCS: Warthog, where there are three different mic switches for three different radios?

I don't use a PTT key for VAC; I simply let it listen all the time. If I'm worried about spurious inputs I use the Close Channel and Open Channel commands. Though it is hard to say "Close Channel!" just before a sneeze.

You would need 2 buttons. Shifted they would have 2 commands each for a total of 3 radios and voice control (4 functions). Hope that solves your problem (I don't fly A-10C)

Also I highly recommend using a button for voice control. I will give you an example why. I have a command called start aircraft for my KA-50. It starts the helo, sets my autopilot channels, sets my lights, and puts my abris in nav mode. If I say this (or GC THINKS I said this) after take off, guess what, I fall right out of the sky. Extreme example but, you can see how this "always on" could create problems.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That's not an issue for me because, for realism, I only use voice commands for radio communications. Nothing will ever press a switch in the cockpit. Since those are all done with the F-keys, the worst that could happen is your view gets changed around. Aaaand, since I have all external views turned off (also for realism), it's a total non-issue.

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

• 1 year later...

Stretch,

I just noticed this program and find it to be outstanding. I have one feature request:

Much like you have SLEEP/AWAKE commands embedded into the vacc file (and therefore the code), I was hoping you could enable the profile change command as well, so while we're in DCS World we could change from the A-10C profile to the Ka-50 profile to a FC3 profile, et al. Perhaps something like the following in the vacc (I don't know how to do it in Ruby):

#A-10C Load Profile A Ten
#FC3 Load Profile F C 3, Load Profile Flaming Cliffs
#Ka-50 Load Profile K A Fifty, Load Profile Black Shark

Again, thanks for a great program. :thumbup:

And a bug report:

With VAC 3.1.1, when I would select either the Awake or Sleep commands in the VAC Builder, it would cause the program to crash, and also prevented the addition of future commands (such as manually adding a profile changer like I mentioned in the previous post). After doing some troubleshooting, I narrowed it to the XML file generated by VAC Generator.

The lines

<command name="Close Channel" phrase="Close Channel" vacmode="sleep"/>
<command name="Open Channel" phrase="Open Channel" vacmode="awake"/>

as single, independent lines appear to be the problem. When adding key lines to the set, the issue goes away.

<command name="Close Channel" phrase="Close Channel" category="all" vacmode="sleep">
   <key description="NONE + NONE + NONE + """ extended="NONE" extended2="NONE" qual="NONE" pause="25" repeat="1" duration="50" toggle="-1"/>
</command>
<command name="Open Channel" phrase="Open Channel" category="all" vacmode="awake">
   <key description="NONE + NONE + NONE + """ extended="NONE" extended2="NONE" qual="NONE" pause="25" repeat="1" duration="50" toggle="-1"/>
</command>

And on a note related to my previous recommendation, here's an XML example of a profile change for your use:

<command name="VAC Profile FC3" phrase="VAC Profile F C 3" category="all" profile="FC3">
   <key extended="NONE" qual="NONE" pause="25" repeat="1" duration="50"/>
</command>

Hope this helps.

Stretch

Is there any method to get a word or notepad list of just the commands without all of the HTML language?

Sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 3 months later...

VAC is a great program and Ron still supports it too. I used it in IL2 and I used my RALT key to talk to VAC. R CTRL is for TS3 and I don't want to use the same key for obvious reasons.... As for the voice recognition.. all that is a matter of how well you train the program to recognize your voice.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Fx-8350 | ASUS M5A99X EVO | EVGA 1050G PS | Corsair Force 3 240GSSD

Samsung 840 EVO 500G SSD | 32G Corsair Vengance DDR3 | Seagate 1TB 7200RPMHD

WD 2TB 7200 RPMHD XFX DD FX-HD 7870 2GB DDR5 | SB Xi-Fi APU | W7 U | TIR3

MSFFB2 | Saitek X-52|SaitekPro Pedals | Logitech Z-640 5.1 | ASUS VE248 24" LCD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Updated with alternate version for those using BuzzBomb's Static ATC mod (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=138994). VAC profiles will also be updated shortly (see link in second post).

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS

Updated with alternate version for those using BuzzBomb's Static ATC mod (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=138994). VAC profiles will also be updated shortly (see link in second post).

Only just found this thread. Looks great!

Thanks for this Stretch, will check it out now...

Are you planning to update it (if required) for DCS 2 when it comes out?

Cheers,

Smirkza

• 2 years later...

Updated with AJS-37 Viggen script. You can find the Viggen profile at https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92591

Tim "Stretch" Morgan

72nd VFW, 617th VFS