Update to Chuck's Mirage 2000C Guide

Charly_Owl

Hello folks,

You know it. I know it. We all know it. My Mirage 2000 guide is in dire need of a coat of fresh paint.

There was recently a little trouble with my links, but they're back up now. I haven't really had time to keep track of every change nor re-read the whole manual with each new patch. I intend to do so, but first I wanted to ask for the community's help in this endeavour. There are currently some parts of my guide that are out-of-date. I would like to know which ones.

If there are some volunteers, please provide me a list of everything wrong/out-of-date with the page number and a brief description. I'd like to go through every page, every paragraph, every word of it and make sure it is up to date with the Mirage we currently fly.

Hopefully, I know Zeus, Prowler and CptSmiley are super busy at the moment, but if Razbam could give me a hand as well with feedback (since I know they are about to update a bunch of things on the Mirage once the Harrier blitz slows down) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

Original Guide Thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157056

Hi

Eye candy: replace the pics on pages 1, 2 and 6:

- no mixing S-530D with A-to-G weapons

- pylons safeties now fixed = would no appear raised (safe) anymore inflight

[*]Page 31 - V/UHF radio mode selector is used for two knobs in the picture, better to name the left knob V/UHF radio Receive mode selector, and the right one V/UHF radio transmit mode selector. As they serve different functions.

I disagree!

1/ No, those knobs don't manage receiving or transmitting, so writing this would be wrong.

2/ No, those knobs don't share a common label in Chuck's guide. You have V/UHF radio mode selector and V/UHF radio frequency mode selector

OTOH, the E+A2 / R switches are described as related to "encryption". This is not correct (and I think Razbam did describe them as such, so the mistake is understandable).

Those switches are related to the test feature (and the test button nearby) IRL. This is not implemented in DCS (nor in need to be, as far as I'm concerned).

Air refueling external light-switch, doesn't have a function at the moment, light is controlled by the fuel valve selector

Indeed :)

In fact, it's not an Air refueling external light-switch; there is no such thing in our aircraft.

It's a switch linked to SERPAM system (zoom and look the texture at the base, it's even written there), which is a sort of flight recorder. This is not implemented in DCS (nor in need to be, as far as I'm concerned).

++

Az'

spacer.png

Start ignition selector "Ventilation"

Qualified guess: correct translate to "Blow out"

Certainly not. You misunderstood what it's about.

From the manufacturer:

[FR] Ventilation (for a jet engine) = [EN] Ventilation, cranking, motoring.

spacer.png

Certainly not. You misunderstood what it's about.

From the manufacturer:

[FR] Ventilation (for a jet engine) = [EN] Ventilation, cranking, motoring.

Could be.

Blow out:

After a missed start, the engine is full of fuel.

On a later attempt (if it starts) you will certainly have a hot start.

Blow out is running (cranking as mentioned above) on starter at least one minute to blow out fuel, and dry plugs.

I do not remember what we called in the Air Force. Certainly not ventilation - probably blow out.

On several civ aircraft such as F-27 the ignition switch have 3 pos. 1 - 2 and blow out.

Blow out on Boeing 737 series, you did not open the fuel valve, just keep running on starter..

Again - I do not know what "ventilation" is. Just a qualified guess.

:)

Edited by zero

Zero : the phenomenon you describe is the correct one.

I just never heard it be refered to as "blow out" (I associate the term more with ECS devices).

Now, English isn't my native language so it's possible I missed something.

spacer.png

Zero : the phenomenon you describe is the correct one.

I just never heard it be refered to as "blow out" (I associate the term more with ECS devices).

Now, English isn't my native language so it's possible I missed something.

Well.

I am Norwegian.

You must be professional within aviation to catch this.

Guess most native English "amateurs" does not know the term "blow out" either.

:thumbup:

On several civ aircraft such as F-27 the ignition switch have 3 pos. 1 - 2 and blow out.

Blow out on Boeing 737 series, you did not open the fuel valve, just keep running on starter..

Again - I do not know what "ventilation" is. Just a qualified guess.

:)

Blow out does not seem appropriate in that context... a blow out is during a decelleration fuel schedule of the engine where the engine flame goes out. Engines are supposed to be protected against that a bit like they're supposed to be protected against surge. Did you mean dry cranking or dry motoring?

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 1

Blow out does not seem appropriate in that context... a blow out is during a decelleration fuel schedule of the engine where the engine flame goes out. Engines are supposed to be protected against that a bit like they're supposed to be protected against surge. Did you mean dry cranking or dry motoring?

I will call your description "flame out". Protection against this is correct fuel/mix. Can occur with clogged fuel burners, or clogged combustion chamber pressure sense line. Keep eye with EGT with rapid throttle to idle. Protection against surge/stall is to open bleed valves to keep air flow through compressor.

Blow out is a procedure after one or more failed start attempt. (Fuel flow with no ignition)

The combustion chamber is filled with fuel, that must be removed prior to next attempt.

Dry motor (as you call it). No ignition or fuel flow, near max allowance duty cycle time of starter. (Start clock)

The air flow through engine blows the residual fuel out of the exhaust pipe.

Thank you for the gold mine of documentation. Saved hours of frustration and scratching both head and bottom.

:worthy:

Edited by zero

The Magic II launch procedures are not up to date... There is no more "tone" when seeking, and we now need (not absolutely, but this is better) to ativate the "Magic Slave" command to lock from radar to magic.

Like to add that search area is at HUD + icon.

Learned the hard way myself

Magic / HUD may be updated in a few weeks: this is part of the "avionics" work Zeus referred to.

I would advise to wait until this is released before attempting to update the guide ;)

This is also valid re: air-to-ground procedures, BTW.

spacer.png

Any instructions on engine flame out/engine is dead? I notice that FBW refuses to work after engine doesnt provide electrical power and plane doesnt respond to pilot (God forbid u were banking...). It come back online but then it can go offline again? Some clarification? Any FBW emergency modes? :P

Any instructions on engine flame out/engine is dead? I notice that FBW refuses to work after engine doesnt provide electrical power and plane doesnt respond to pilot (God forbid u were banking...). It come back online but then it can go offline again? Some clarification? Any FBW emergency modes? :P

That would need a track or to perform in depth testing.

In any case the system is designed to provide enough electrical and hydraulic power to fly the aircraft with "dead" engine until relight or ejection.

The engine can still provide hydraulic power by windmilling if you have enough speed.

If you don't, an electro-pump will provide it runnning on battery. Be sure that "EP" switch on the right side is in middle position (auto). But it will quickly deplete the battery.

These are first thoughts, as I said it needs thorough testing.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I forgot to ask: Why was your engine shut down ?

Was it combat damages ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I forgot to ask: Why was your engine shut down ?

Was it combat damages ?

According to Guide flameout occurs after 15 sec inverted flight. (to be more correct, it should read less than 1G)?

Have not tried myself. The restart procedure is straight forward. Seems that airspeed range limitation is not implemented. (One less thing thing to worry about :D).

IMO - random faults with correct emergency procedures is not needed. For $ 60.- you can`t get everything. Priority must be given to announced patch.

In Battle Damage everything is correct - from false indication to hole in the Flight Computer and hydraulic leakage.

.:joystick:

No doubt the FBW is connected to hot battery bus (with own inverter) - not dependent on AC power from engine.

Have not found schematic - just a qualified guess

.:smilewink:

No doubt? Depends...

Channels 1 and 2 each get their own elec power from hydraulic systems. If there is hyd pressure then they get electric power.

Channel 3 is powered by the main DC bus (non sheddable). So AC->DC normally, or DC from battery if no AC source at all.

Channel 4 is powered directly by the battery bus.

Channel 5 (ultimate emergency) is powered directly by the battery bus too.

The word is redundancy.

spacer.png

No doubt? Depends...

Channels 1 and 2 each get their own elec power from hydraulic systems. If there is hyd pressure then they get electric power.

Channel 3 is powered by the main DC bus (non sheddable). So AC->DC normally, or DC from battery if no AC source at all.

Channel 4 is powered directly by the battery bus.

Channel 5 (ultimate emergency) is powered directly by the battery bus too.

The word is redundancy.

My guess was not far off bulls eye.

(Channel 3,4,5)

;)

Channel 1 -2 = generator driven by hydraulic motor?

Also:

Page 68:

MUDSPIKE - I think, no such thing exist. I believe it's either SPIKE (A-A) or MUD (A-G). Correct me if I am wrong. But...there is a Podcast with an (ex) A-10C pilot by Dojo from 476th and I recall he explained it there.

EDIT:

By the way, if you check one of the brevity docs like this one https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf (which may be out of date) the term is explained:

MUD (type w/direction/

range if able)

1. RWR ground threat displayed with no

launch indication.

2. RWR indication of surface threat in track

mode. See DIRT and SINGER.

There is no MUDSPIKE mentioned in the document.

Edited by Skitter

Also:

Page 68:

MUDSPIKE - I think, no such thing exist. I believe it's either SPIKE (A-A) or MUD (A-G). Correct me if I am wrong. But...there is a Podcast with an (ex) A-10C pilot by Dojo from 476th and I recall he explained it there.

EDIT:

By the way, if you check one of the brevity docs like this one https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf (which may be out of date) the term is explained:

There is no MUDSPIKE mentioned in the document.

Yep, I concur. Was told the same recently by a Marines JTAC instructor. It is one or the other, but since DCS has it wrong, everybody uses it :)

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

if you check one of the brevity docs like this one https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf (which may be out of date) the term is explained:

Nice one Skitter, thanks for the link! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb