Multi-crew in UH-1 and Mi8 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
King_Hrothgar

Reputation power: 18
King_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime817th View Post
Ok, how does it work?
At the moment it doesn't work at all, you explode within a minute of the second player joining. Ignoring that little detail (which I'm sure will be promptly fixed), this is how the L-39 is currently implemented:

1) In single player, the player has access to both cockpit seats just like the UH-1 and Mi-8 and can change at will in flight.

2) In multiplayer, the first player gets the front seat only, the spawning character cannot switch to the rear seat like in SP nor can he/she choose the rear seat to begin with. That first player takes the front seat and stays there or doesn't get to spawn. It's that simple.

3) If another player wishes to join, they select the rear seat and the initial player is given the option to accept or reject (works just fine, actually very well implemented).

4) If accepted, the second player takes their selected seat and I assume is also locked into it (not tested since plane always explodes seconds later).

It's #2 that I find so terribly problematic. With the L-39, it doesn't matter since the rear seat is basically just along for the ride anyways. But in aircraft like the Mi-8 where critical controls are in that second seat, it's a problem. It makes it so that the module would be completely unusable by a single person in MP. Imagine how problematic that would be for your group when you have an odd number of players on. Now imagine how much worse it is when flying on a regular server with random players, most of whom aren't on comms and wouldn't speak to a team mate if their actual life depended on it. Then throw in some good old fashioned disconnects and "DCS has stopped responding" for one of the crew at a critical moment in flight. Mutlicrew is unusable without the ability for the main player in the aircraft to takeover unused seats. Until that limitation is resolved, I'm against any additional aircraft using this feature.

I do hope this limitation is resolved, I've had a lot of fun in RoF and BoS over the years using multicrew aircraft and I'd like to do the same in DCS. But DCS's implementation simply isn't workable atm. It has to change and until it does, we shouldn't rush to pile more aircraft into a critically flawed system.

Last edited by King_Hrothgar; 02-20-2016 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added quote
King_Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
King_Hrothgar

King_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pered View Post
King Bad excuses, not being able to switch seats in multicrew makes PERFECT sense. Can you switch seats while flying in real life?
So you're suggesting no should be allowed to fly the Mi-8 or UH-1 unless they are in MP and have 2-3 friends with them to help?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #13
FSKRipper

Reputation power: 7
FSKRipper has a spectacular aura aboutFSKRipper has a spectacular aura aboutFSKRipper has a spectacular aura aboutFSKRipper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Hrothgar View Post
So you're suggesting no should be allowed to fly the Mi-8 or UH-1 unless they are in MP and have 2-3 friends with them to help?
Why? You can still fly the L-39 in SP and MP solo so where is the problem to add multicrew for the guys playing MP. Sorry but where is the fun in switching beteeen seats in a F-14 or AH-1 in MP. I wish the gold old days back since Longbow 2...

Last edited by FSKRipper; 02-20-2016 at 08:03 AM.
FSKRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #14
Jacks

Reputation power: 3
Jacks will become famous soon enoughJacks will become famous soon enough

Maybe a work around would be a snap view option so if you are the pilot you can press a button and you view snaps to the navigators position but you don't actually occupy the seat or controls It is just a change of viewing position. A bigger issue to implement is the ability to press the same switches so both pilots can still use the circuit breakers and engine start controls etc.
System Specs: i5 3570k @ 4.5 GHz, MSI Z77A GD-55 MOBO, EVGA GTX 980, 16Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1600 Hz RAM, Samsung Evo 240Gb SSD, 1TB HDD, Cooler Master Evo 212 Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor,

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #15
Flamin_Squirrel

Reputation power: 15
Flamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really niceFlamin_Squirrel is just really nice

Quote:
The L39 has two separate cockpits, not so with the Mi8. In MP you might be locked into a specific seat, but you can still activate any switch just like you can in SP. I don't really see the problem - I don't bother switching seats in SP and it's perfectly flyable.
Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #16
HeTzeR32

Reputation power: 5
HeTzeR32 will become famous soon enoughHeTzeR32 will become famous soon enoughHeTzeR32 will become famous soon enough

I flew the L39 yesterday with my buddy and we didnt explode, it works quiet well actually, of course IF there is a lag, then yes something gets damaged, but its not that bad as King_Hrothgar says it is.

he just doesnt like Multicrew
HeTzeR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #17
Jacks

I would like ed to develop a multicrew voip system like used in squad. In squad if you press a button you talk to anyone within talking distance regardless of who they are.

The same could be used in DCS so by pressing a button you can talk to anyone in your crew regardless of who they are and it would not require teamspeak. Obviously you will get some trolls but the owner of each aircraft could have the option to kick a player from their crew. This would man you could talk to that a down guy that jumps in and you could talk to your crew whilst still being able to talk to other aircraft using teamspeak.
System Specs: i5 3570k @ 4.5 GHz, MSI Z77A GD-55 MOBO, EVGA GTX 980, 16Gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1600 Hz RAM, Samsung Evo 240Gb SSD, 1TB HDD, Cooler Master Evo 212 Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor,

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #18
King_Hrothgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeTzeR32 View Post
I flew the L39 yesterday with my buddy and we didnt explode, it works quiet well actually, of course IF there is a lag, then yes something gets damaged, but its not that bad as King_Hrothgar says it is.

he just doesnt like Multicrew
I love it in RoF and BoS. I'd love it here too if it didn't remove the option to fly solo and still access everything. Also, where did you try it? I was on 104th (ping around 45) and couldn't get the engine started half the time before our wings exploded, the other half we blew on the taxi way. Have yet to get off the ground with another human on board. Regardless, I just don't want the Mi-8 to be messed up. I'd rather they wait until multicrew is in better working order and doesn't take away from single user (in mp) experience.

Last edited by King_Hrothgar; 02-20-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Wow, serious failure of typing on my part.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #19
Jacks

ED will have to find a way to switch positions when online if they are ever to introduce a medium to heavy ww2 bomber as these will be flown online with crews of 2-3 with a couple of guys constantly jumping between the bomb aimer, navigator and various turret positions.

Old 02-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
HeTzeR32

Reputation power: 5
HeTzeR32 will become famous soon enoughHeTzeR32 will become famous soon enoughHeTzeR32 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I love it in RoF and BoS. I'd love it here too if it didn't remove the option to fly solo and still access everything. Also, where did you try it? I was on 104th (ping around 45) and couldn't get the engine started half the time before our wings exploded, the other half we blew on the taxi way. Have yet to get off the ground with another human on board. Regardless, I just don't want the Mi-8 to be messed up. I'd rather they wait until multicrew is in better working order and doesn't take away from single user (in mp) experience.

Ive tried it on the CZ Server and someother I forgot, I think the number of players is crucial.
HeTzeR32 is offline   Reply With Quote