whatever happened to the Cobra project? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-16-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
ShuRugal

Reputation power: 13
ShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really niceShuRugal is just really nice
Default whatever happened to the Cobra project?

I remember, ages ago it seems, that there were plans for an AH-1 as a follow-up to the UH-1.

whatever happened to this?
ShuRugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
King_Hrothgar

Reputation power: 18
King_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really nice

The F-86, MiG-15 and now F-5E happened. I think the reason they've been putting both the AH-1 and Mi-24 off is a desire for MP multicrew support, but that's just a guess on my part. One of their guys mentioned the Mi-24's development would be unfrozen in 2016, but I haven't seen any additional info on it or the AH-1.
King_Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #3
Pikey

Reputation power: 28
Pikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of lightPikey is a glorious beacon of light

This was my thoughts too, something to do with multicockpit, they aren't the noisiest bunch anyway
Pikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 AM   #4
streakeagle

Reputation power: 10
streakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nicestreakeagle is just really nice

I want the AH-1 Cobra... in any variant they are willing to provide (though my preference is for the AH-1G originally announced).

I also want the Mi-24 Hind, with a strong preference for the Hind-E with the gatling gun chin turret that floats in my memories as a 70's/80's Cold War kid (born in 6.

But I have no problem with delays to these aircraft if in return I get more aircraft like the F-86, MiG-15, and F-5. I want them all! and in no particular order, unless period maps become available. Give me a properly populated Korean War map or better yet a Vietnam War map, and I will favor completing the aircraft orders of battle for those maps.

In the mean time, with only the Black Sea and Red Flag, the trend of providing historical dueling pairs suits me, too. UH-1/Mi-8 is kind of one of those pairs. AH-1/MiG-24 isn't too far from that concept either.

Just keep releasing good stuff that I like, and I will keep buying them!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Ramjet

Reputation power: 6
Ramjet will become famous soon enoughRamjet will become famous soon enough

One of the biggest things missing from DCS, in my opinion, is an American attack helicopter counterpart to the ka-50... ka-50 was the first module of what ultimately became dcs world... And, I've been waiting for an American attack helicopter ever since

I hope someone has something in the pipes...
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
Brisse

Reputation power: 10
Brisse is a jewel in the roughBrisse is a jewel in the roughBrisse is a jewel in the roughBrisse is a jewel in the roughBrisse is a jewel in the roughBrisse is a jewel in the roughBrisse is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
One of the biggest things missing from DCS, in my opinion, is an American attack helicopter counterpart to the ka-50... ka-50 was the first module of what ultimately became dcs world... And, I've been waiting for an American attack helicopter ever since
In my humble opinion, counterparts in DCS are only interesting if the module depicts a platform which can be used for PvP oriented multi-player. The Ka-50 is almost entirely focused on PvE. Also, one could argue that it doesn't really have a western IRL counterpart. It has so many unique features which makes it one of a kind.
Brisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
Ramjet

Reputation power: 6
Ramjet will become famous soon enoughRamjet will become famous soon enough

I don't really need a "counterpart" in the firm sense...

I just want an american attack heli as part of dcs

Huey is absolutely fantastic, so I hope belsimtek has something cooking...
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
Reagan505

Reputation power: 4
Reagan505 will become famous soon enoughReagan505 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisse View Post
In my humble opinion, counterparts in DCS are only interesting if the module depicts a platform which can be used for PvP oriented multi-player. The Ka-50 is almost entirely focused on PvE. Also, one could argue that it doesn't really have a western IRL counterpart. It has so many unique features which makes it one of a kind.
True, the KA-50 doesn't have a western counterpart if you go strictly off looks. The KA-50 is a ground attack aircraft and has the same role as the Apache. The KA-52 would be a cool upgrade to the KA-50. Regardless, there are some cool helicopters missing from this game.. Cobra, Apache, Hind, Havoc, Lynx, etc, etc.. Makes you wonder why these helicopters are being left out, but others, like the Puma or BO-105 are currently being developed? I like the Puma and BO-105, will buy them 1st day.. Just kind of seems they should be coming after the Apache, Cobra, Hind, etc, etc.

Only a matter of time, DCS is worth the wait.
Reagan505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #9
Enzo

Reputation power: 0
Enzo is on a distinguished road

Thats pretty easy actually. Puma and the BO-105 are properties of airbus, Poly had to get permission from Airbus to do the gazelle aswell.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 AM   #10
King_Hrothgar

Reputation power: 18
King_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really niceKing_Hrothgar is just really nice

The Ka-50 is an oddity and has no true western counterpart, but it is a late 1980's to early 1990's attack helicopter optimized for tank busting. Looking at it from that perspective, it's comparable to the AH-1W, AH-64A and AH-64D. That said, I'm more interested in the Mi-24 and an adversary for it. The AH-1W seems the most appropriate of the three to me.

On an unrelated note, the SA-342 and Bo-105 aren't really attack helicopters, they are armed utility choppers sort of like a UH-1 with TOWs and the Mi-2 with AT-3's.

Last edited by King_Hrothgar; 01-27-2016 at 01:28 AM.
King_Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote