Huey Campaign Mission 6 Sucks - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 AM   #1
shake307

Reputation power: 0
shake307 is on a distinguished road
Default Huey Campaign Mission 6 Sucks

I have no idea how many times I have flown "Patrols." I am not a great huey pilot, but am no noob either. This mission is terrible. The CO is damn near impossible to follow and he does idiotic flight maneuvers. We had to cover for our flight and orbit a drop (drop number 3, I think), and between him hovering turning a corkscrew and doing hairpin turns at various points, I don't think he knows the definition of "orbit." Then, on top of all this, he up and decides to check out a place where a helo was shot down. He continues his asshat flight characteristics. He drops over a ridge and this is where things get impossible. I try to match his flying only to drop alt and airspeed too slow and manage to break my damn rotor off. Now this wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to fly for the last hour following this douchebag and his moronic flying. Now I have to start this mission all over again and submit myself to this crap scripting again. Has anyone else had this trouble? I have flown the campaign up to this point no problem, but this mission is just killing me and my motivation.
AsRock Z97 Extreme6, i7-4790k@4.4GHz, XFX BE R9 290X & XFX R9 290X Crossfired and synced, G.Skill 4x4GB DDR 2133 (16GB), Crucial 250GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, EVGA 1000W PS, Windows 10, CH Fighterstick, CH ProThrottle, CH Rudder Pedals.

DCS 1.5.6 & 2.0, Black Shark 2, Flaming Cliffs 3, A-10C, UH-1 Huey, Mi-8 Hip, Mig-21bis, Fw-190 Dora
shake307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
billybezeau

Reputation power: 1
billybezeau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake307 View Post
I have no idea how many times I have flown "Patrols." I am not a great huey pilot, but am no noob either. This mission is terrible. The CO is damn near impossible to follow and he does idiotic flight maneuvers. We had to cover for our flight and orbit a drop (drop number 3, I think), and between him hovering turning a corkscrew and doing hairpin turns at various points, I don't think he knows the definition of "orbit." Then, on top of all this, he up and decides to check out a place where a helo was shot down. He continues his asshat flight characteristics. He drops ovyer a ridge and this is where things get impossible. I try to match his flying only to drop alt and airspeed too slow and manage to break my damn rotor off. Now this wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to fly for the last hour following this douchebag and his moronic flying. Now I have to start this mission all over again and submit myself to this crap scripting again. Has anyone else had this trouble? I have flown the campaign up to this point no problem, but this mission is just killing me and my motivation.
Holy moly buddy ahaha it's really getting your heart!

I have to say that the AI for helicopter would need a little tweaking! I dont know if you know a little bit about mission editor but the reason why the AI always goes up and down is because when you set an AI altitude, you can either decides between holding sea altitute or ground altitude! It's obvious that helicopters have to follow ground altitude if they don't want them to hit the ground It really bugs me too since it just kills the immersion when they start goofing with the altitude like that!

I have done that mission and I'd say the only trick that I can think of is simply take your distance and try the anticipate what your leader will do. Don't put yourself in teouble juat because you want to fly like him too. Keep your distance and control of your Helicopter!

Also, I haven't tried any other campain since I am more concentrated on civilian flying with the Huey or flying multiplayer with the 5e virtual canadian air force but I know they're is some pretty good campains made by other players on the forum. Crazy horse campain is pretty great from what I've heard!

Anyways cheers
Billy
billybezeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 AM   #3
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Reputation power: 58
Yurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to beholdYurgon is a splendid one to behold

As I recall it, that mission was very troublesome for me as well. Back when the Huey was still brand new, there were some very tight distance limits in this mission. If you "strayed" too far from the flight lead, the mission would fail instantly because you had apparently left the formation. These limits were then adjusted to much more suitable values.

In essence, like billybezeau says, keep your distance. You don't need to fly in a perfect formation. Keep lead in sight and try not to get too far off, and you should be good.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
kylekatarn720

Reputation power: 3
kylekatarn720 is a jewel in the roughkylekatarn720 is a jewel in the roughkylekatarn720 is a jewel in the roughkylekatarn720 is a jewel in the roughkylekatarn720 is a jewel in the roughkylekatarn720 is a jewel in the rough

IIRC thats the mission where u need fly with a 4 heli flight and drop soldiers on some patrol points and after number 3 and 4 drops theirs , flight lead wants to go check out that shot down friendly helicopters crash site right?

following that guy is a pain in the ass, i didnt had much trouble following him while flying to a waypoint but the orbit thing really do suck. what i did was every time he wanted me to orbit i just landed on somewhere near the center of the orbit zone and waited for him to say lets go.

for the navigating in formation part, if u get bored while doing it just speed up the time and dont make any sudden movements on any of the controls, only slow smooth ones.

If u dont want to do any of this, just open up the mission in mission editor and modify the triggers.

there were lots of bugs while i was playing that campaign anyway (helis crashing to each other, not landing when they need to, triggers not working etc.) i think i modified every 1,2 out of 3 missions. Downside on this is, bugs appear with patches, and everytime u modify something it can cause new bugs after a patch:d

EDIT: oh and one last thing, about that shot down helis crash site, flying above the flight lead before you pass the mountain ridge and flying below the lead after you pass it helped me a lot.
kylekatarn720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Quadg

Reputation power: 2
Quadg will become famous soon enoughQuadg will become famous soon enough

Is it me or was this mission at night last time i played it?
with NVG?

Anyway, the simplified flight model used by the AI means it outperforms your aircraft.
so instead of trying to do the impossible by trying to keep up on both the horizontal and vertical planes.
keep up on only one plane. the horizontal.
and ignore the vertical.
let him go up and down like a yo yo and concentrate on keeping your horizontal spacing. ie maintain the same horizontal speed as him.
if that means you stay low in a climb or high in a decent then so be it.
as long as when he returns to the same level as you he will be in perfect formation.

it was kind of fun flying formation with a guy 100ft below me who would climb and pop back into formation... no panic about collision..

in real helicopter formations pilots are free to move vertically, its horizontal spacing that counts..
you dodge fire by going up and down, not side to side.. and count on the guy behind leaving you the horizontal space.. because he is probably going up and down at random too.
with everyone going side to side you quickly have no formation and more chance of collision.

so the AI behaviour isnt as immersion breaking as it first looks.
but it does need fixing..

the way he orbits that way point.. that makes me cringe every time I see it

and you fall behind on the big ridge climb to the helicopter crash site, no matter what you do.. but you do have the dive down the other side to catch up.

and it is easier in daylight
Old 03-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #6
Ramsay

Reputation power: 10
Ramsay is just really niceRamsay is just really niceRamsay is just really niceRamsay is just really niceRamsay is just really niceRamsay is just really niceRamsay is just really niceRamsay is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
Is it me or was this mission at night last time i played it?
with NVG?
and it is easier in daylight
Mission 6 was designed as a 7 am, sunrise/dawn mission in 1.2

It was effected by a DCS 1.5 sunrise/sunset bug (approx. 1.5 hrs later than real/previous), that meant it started in darkness.

To play as intended/designed the mission start used to need editing in the ME i.e. 8:20 am, the start time was revised in a December update

DCS 1.5 UH-1H missions that were affected by the bug: 2, 6, 11, 13 and 14

Edit: Checking the .miz file date - it seems updated missions (8:10 am mission start, etc.) were pushed via steam on 17th Dec 2016, (DCS 1.5.5.60314 Update 3) hence the changed/corrected lighting.

Last edited by Ramsay; 03-20-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Checked current campaign missions against, 1.2 and noted changed start times
Ramsay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
Quadg

Reputation power: 2
Quadg will become famous soon enoughQuadg will become famous soon enough

im not going mad then..

they need to do like in ARMA, where the mission designer can fly and record a track for the ai in mission to use.

thats the easiest way to get the ai to do cool scripted stuff..

like fly a simple noe way point flight with no combat.. with the complex flight model.. for you to fly in formation with.

and as its on rails, it does not need a supercomputer to run it..

yes it does not work in free form combat situations. but its perfect for scripted ones.
which pretty much sums up this mission. the AI does not acknowledge you at all... he may as well be on rails..

instead of having an AI do it badly, over and over again.
take a human ape and have him do it once, well...

and i think everyone following will be happier...
Old 03-21-2017, 01:23 AM   #8
shake307

Well, I am glad I am not the only one that has trouble with this mission. I am going to try everything suggested by you all. It seems like a lot of good info. Just gonna keep pluggin away. Thanks for all the help
AsRock Z97 Extreme6, i7-4790k@4.4GHz, XFX BE R9 290X & XFX R9 290X Crossfired and synced, G.Skill 4x4GB DDR 2133 (16GB), Crucial 250GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, EVGA 1000W PS, Windows 10, CH Fighterstick, CH ProThrottle, CH Rudder Pedals.

DCS 1.5.6 & 2.0, Black Shark 2, Flaming Cliffs 3, A-10C, UH-1 Huey, Mi-8 Hip, Mig-21bis, Fw-190 Dora
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
billybezeau

Reputation power: 1
billybezeau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadg View Post
im not going mad then..

they need to do like in ARMA, where the mission designer can fly and record a track for the ai in mission to use.

thats the easiest way to get the ai to do cool scripted stuff..

like fly a simple noe way point flight with no combat.. with the complex flight model.. for you to fly in formation with.

and as its on rails, it does not need a supercomputer to run it..

yes it does not work in free form combat situations. but its perfect for scripted ones.
which pretty much sums up this mission. the AI does not acknowledge you at all... he may as well be on rails..

instead of having an AI do it badly, over and over again.
take a human ape and have him do it once, well...

and i think everyone following will be happier...
Buddy!!!! I know that is excstly ehat we need! I don't why it is not impleted yet!!
billybezeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:43 PM   #10
shake307

Just to update all who helped. I finally beat this cursed mission by using everyone's advice. Ir really helped and I thank all of you for the tips. Now I am off to the next mission and, someday, completing the campaign.