Change map on the flight? Different Scales map

pepin1234

Google Translate

Can we change to a zoomed map with different scale on the flight. what scales size support the map box?..

See attachment.

карты на картографическом индикаторе будут те, что вы купили (мы так планируем). Либо "бумажные", либо с вида F10, но они не двигаются. Двигается Визир картографического планшета, см. вложение.

[ATTACH]230700[/ATTACH]

… A set of maps of the flight area is cut into sheets in the size of 220×168mm. When the movable tape approaches the edge of the map, the pilot replaces this map sheet with a new one, after which, with the 1 and 7 knobs, it corrects the current position of the helicopter on the new map sheet.

Original in Russian

… Набор карт района полётов нарезаются в виде листов размером 220×168 мм. Когда подвижная лента подходит к краю карты, пилот заменяет этот лист карты на новый, после чего кремальерами 1 и 7 корректирует текущее положение вертолёта на новом листе карты.

The moving map is extremely simple to use. You just need to avoid damaging the plastic strip that moves across the box when you open the glass window. Place the map with wanted area in it with the scale that match with the system 1 cm = 2000 meters (2 km) or 10000 meters (10 km).

The map has automatically moving that plastic strip with cross bars doppler that you have in Mi-8MTv2 and KA-50 as well. And so on it doesn't care what map there is, only that if helicopter does fly to North then it must move cross X amount toward North in the set scale.

If you decide that map position doesn't match helicopter position, you use two dials to manually move cross on position you think you are. So you use visually landmarks to correct your moving map location. No twiddling with navigation system etc.

And with 1:200000 set you can navigate easily in accuracy of couple hundred meters, as 1 mm is 200 meters. And so on you can update your location at that precision.

When you think about it, you don't need much higher accuracy as you should be using eyes to spot targets, troops, locations etc at that range.

Its main use is to know where you are and what is your route. So you find your location in the half kilometer accuracy in actual flight.

Best thing is that as it is paper map, you can make markings on it with pen. Like land and let the recon team draw enemy positions on the map, or talk over radio and discuss the coordinates on map and you have just exchanged "data" in the old manner.

And as you can swap maps in it, you can easily swap between long range and close range map, so one map to fly 100 km route and one map for combat zone in about 45 x 36 km area that one map presents in 1:200000 scale.

Original in Russian

См. вложение.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

I really love these kind of "mechanical" systems, who needs digital display :D

• Like 1

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Check the video on the Mi-24P above Latakia.

You will see that in the paper map is replaced by a digital screen showing the map like a GPS. :thumbup:

For sure I will modify the lua file linked to the screens in order to reply this map on a second monitor...;)

You will see that in the paper map is replaced by a digital screen showing the map like a GPS. :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed by that. I hope they will change that untill release.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

For sure I will modify the lua file linked to the screens in order to reply this map on a second monitor...;)

TBH, it doesn't look like a digital map to me.

Perhaps it's just WIP.

that's great. Specially if we can draw on it. I am curious how look both scales.

I really wish we could have a way to add a custom image files to some directory and use those as a map boards.

As well possibility to set a editor zoom scale so it is a proper scale and have a in-editor screenshot utility to capture map around. But even just knowing that what resolution to use for a map image file and what scale it should present (X kilometers = x pixels) then it could be used for custom missions, if not by average players.

I would be as well happy that we could add a marks on it. Like you spot something on ground and you could just mark it there (as should be on the kneeboard). It could be the "Visual Recon" feature where you use red cross on screen to look at thin and then press button to mark it on the map (as this is not a kneeboard where we do not know our location, but this is a doppler radar navigation system where we know our location visually).

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I really wish we could have a way to add a custom image files to some directory and use those as a map boards.

It would also be great if we could add custom maps for specific missions. I bet campaign makers would love it.

• Like 1

Place the map with wanted area in it with the scale that match with the system 1 cm = 2000 meters (2 km) or 10000 meters (10 km).

The map has automatically moving that plastic strip with cross bars doppler that you have in Mi-8MTv2 and KA-50 as well. And so on it doesn't care what map there is, only that if helicopter does fly to North then it must move cross X amount toward North in the set scale.

If you decide that map position doesn't match helicopter position, you use two dials to manually move cross on position you think you are. So you use visually landmarks to correct your moving map location. No twiddling with navigation system etc.

Best thing is that as it is paper map, you can make markings on it with pen. Like land and let the recon team draw enemy positions on the map, or talk over radio and discuss the coordinates on map and you have just exchanged "data" in the old manner.

And as you can swap maps in it, you can easily swap between long range and close range map, so one map to fly 100 km route and one map for combat zone in about 45 x 36 km area that one map presents in 1:200000 scale.

If this is indeed how this works, I have an idea on how to make it usable in DCS. I'm assuming the Mi-24 won't be using the Ka-50's target waypoint system TP(X), so I suggest modifying this feature for the Hind to be map points.

I just had this idea. Here's how I see it working:

During mission planning/creation, "map points" are placed in the mission, which will coincide with the center of the desired map sheet. This will tell the Mi-24's DISS map which part of the native ME/F10 Map layer to display (the sectional chart etc). This "map point" also has a scale value included, which tells the Mi-24 how zoomed in the map sheet should be for map point.

There is a click spot on the center of the map display in the cockpit, and by clicking it the placed map points are cycled, simulating the changing of map sheets.

It would be nice to also have the ability to link to images stored within the mission file, so mission builders can create custom images as other users have mentioned.

By default the aircraft starting location is also a "map point", resulting in an appearing map sheet even if no other points have been placed, with the user aircraft in the center.

The user operation is something like this:

1. Map points are placed during mission creation/planning, coinciding with desired map sheets, and defining the scale used.

2. The user clicks the center of the display to change map sheets until finding the one desired.

3. The user sets the correct map scale with the cockpit control, allowing the cross hair to move at the correct rate.

4. The user corrects the DISS position cross hair with cockpit controls.

5. When the user wishes to change map sheets, they repeat steps 2-4.

To simplify this process, have an option for an automatic map sheet management system. It can either transform the entire process to a true moving map (Hind always in center, scale control zooms the map) or perhaps have the map sheets linked to flight plan waypoints (and advanced waypoint action?)

The map point could also have some sort of boundary in the ME/MP based on the selected scale which shows exactly which parts of the map will be visible on the cockpit screen.

• 5 months later...

I think this whole question warrants the answer "why not both".

I come from civil airsims, notably FlightGear. The higher fidelity models in FG allow for replacement of components like engines, wheels, doors, et al. I thought such options were the norm until I got MSFS 2020 and understood that most of these simulators are extremely low fidelity and simply market themselves off of how good they look.

DCS, I am happy to say, is far from such a sim. Which is why I question whether or not we could simply have an option to replace the physical map holder with a GPS and vice versa. Perhaps this can be extended to other aircraft - would it not be nice to be able to replace Polyot 01 with Lazur on the MiG-21Bis, for instance?

Unfortunately I really doubt we'll be able to draw on it. I just don't see it in the cards. But I imagine it should be easy enough for the map to be a file somewhere that can be edited. If that's possible, then mission makers may have a way to incorporate drawings on a custom map.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I've noticed that the aircraft's waypoints automatically create kneeboard pages which cover most of the route of flight. Exactly in the same way I could see the map display being used. I wonder if they're going to transfer that technology from the kneeboard to the cockpit.

The question is if one will be capable of dynamic flight-plan creation in session, or change it, so that the map inside the cockpit updates. Would be really neat. I suppose creating such a system should not be too problematic, given that such systems are already in-place in other modules.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As with what @Fri13 said, I'd love to have a selection of images (even just screenshots from the F10 'MAP' mode) and be able to load them onto the map - obviously at the realistic scales.

So say, you click on the device to open up it up and that allows you to browse for an appropriate map image, and that gets loaded in. Set it up as required and off you go.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.