Armament options

Avimimus

The M230... is rifled? But the round uses effectively a shaped-charge warhead for enhanced penetration? I'm asking because it was suggested to me that the 45mm depressible TKB-700 developed for the Su-25 had a smoothbore barrel to improve the performance of the shaped-charge warhead.

Much higher velocity as well. I tried looking into this a while ago, and what I found suggests that the Gsh-30-2 has similar ballistics to the A-10's complimentary can-opener.

Yeah... compared to the AH-64, the Mi-24P has:

1.34 times the kinetic energy?

2.25 times the high explosive charge?

Compared to the Mi-24P, the A-10 has:

1.09 times the kinetic energy (not including the velocity of the aircraft)

1.2 times the explosive charge

The A-10 might be about ~20% more effective (assuming the Russian AP rounds aren't much worse). But it looks much more comparable to the GAU-8 than the M230...

The Apache basically has the AK-47 of the 30mm Kannons.

It will do very nicely..... the others will just do it better.

But those yanks know ballistics, its in their blood, how that Kannon behaves as an off axis defensive weapon maybe really cool. A DCS Apache AH-64A will learn us that.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I did some simple calculatons about the kinetic energy of the two compared guns:

I get that the Mi-24 has about

1.57 times the kinetic energy of the apache in each projectile at the muzzle

heres the calculation:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%280.5+*+0.39+*+940%5E2%29%2F%280.5+*+0.339+*+805%5E2%29

Now if I look at the total energy output per second (factoring in the fire rates) I get that the MI-24p's gun has about 15 times the kinetic energy output of the apache at the high RPM setting

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28%280.5+*+0.39+*+940%5E2%29+*+2600%29%2F%28%280.5+*+0.339+*+805%5E2%29*265%29

Thats about 7466KW for the Hind and 485KW for the gun of the apache.

Now, those numbers of course in no way reflect the combat effectiveness of the guns.

I would argue that the apaches gun is much more effective because it is mounted in a turret with an advanced ballistics computer and FLIR.

But still: The Mi-24p has one hell of a gun and if aimed properly it can cause some serious damage

Edited by Kerberos