Problem balancing during takeoff/landing and taxi - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #1
Passero

Default Problem balancing during takeoff/landing and taxi

I always seem to struggle in controlling the P51 during taxi and takeoff/landing.

For some reason I can't steer the darn thing... I can't seem to be able to make gentle corrections. Small amounts of rudder pedal don't seem to do much and to much, all of a sudden the planes seems to start spinning. This is especially the case when I push the yoke forward to make the wheel more steerable but even than, small amounts of rudder don't seem to do much and the only thing I seem to be able to do is make the plane spin around its own axes a couple of times...

During takeoff it's the same... If I put a lot of rudder pedal in it, that action usually doesn't seem to translate into direction change in the plane.

One of the first missions in the campaign is takeofff and land with a 10 m/s crosswind. That's around 20 knots and my plane just goes off the runway during takeoff, no matter how much rudder pedal I put into it...

What am I doing wrong?
Passero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Baldrick33

Do you have independent toe brakes mapped? Low speed manoeuvres seem very manageable using the brakes to steer.
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Passero

Yeah I do and that seems to be the only way to somewhat control the plane during taxi but that doesn't resolve the controlling during takeoff...
Old 09-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #4
cromhunt

Hello
First when wind is crossing the runway take off ,you have to counter it by pushing the stick to the side from where comes the wind,and maintain it while taking off(same is due at landing).This point is mandatory,it is named "stick in the wind".
Second you don't need all the power to take off with any warbird;apart if you are at MTOW(maximun take off weight).however if the runway is long enough even at MTOW you may use this way.
Lock the tail wheel if it's able.
Thus push the throttle slowly and the stick forward to lift the tail,now you have a better yaw control.Maintain the line straight ahead.Check out your speed upto the take off speed pointed in the manual.You will see that 3/4 power is enough.
The trick is to avoid a brutal torque.
And of course practice a bit is advised.
Last word about the stick pushed right or left,this way is only done to counter the crossing wind.In not any case is due to counter the torque as i can read sometimes on the forum.
The torque is counter acted by using trim and rudder.

Last edited by cromhunt; 09-15-2020 at 09:59 PM.
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #5
Passero

Ah I think I'm to hard on the throttle from the beginning. I usually use around 60 to 70% of throttle but I put it all the way directly from stand still so that might cause the problems...

Will do a few tests tomorrow to see if a gentle push of the throttle works better.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:10 AM   #6
glide

Don't go hard on the throttle. Gently advance throttle to 3000 rpm or around the top of the green on the dial. Watch your needles. After takeoff, adjust your needles until they are in the middle of the green, and you will hardly need to touch the throttle for normal flight maneuvers.

Modules: Nevada, Caucasus, Su-25T, F-16C, F/A-18C, Persian Gulf, TF-51D, Syria, Open Beta
140GB of goodness, and counting.
glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:20 AM   #7
Art-J
Veteran

Keep in mind pushing the stick forward doesn't make the tailwheel "more steerable" - on the contrary - the wheel get's disconnected and swivels on it's own so you loose any directional control apart from using main wheel brakes. You also won't re-engage tailwheel steering unless it's straightened to within +/- 6 degrees off the centerline.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:11 AM   #8
grafspee

Are you applying 5 degree right rudder before take off, this makes things much easier.
Oh and make sure that your tail wheel is locked.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
Passero

Did a few takeoffs using more gentle usage of the throttle and it seems better now