Bad performance with air rescue helicopter missions

davidp57

I'm having awful performance in the "Nevada - Ambulance Huey Duty" and "DCS - SimCopter (v1.00)" missions.

I'm talking 15-20 fps while in the same locations with the same helicopter, outside of the missions, I've got 50-70 fps with my settings and hardware.

I suspect the non-standard units, heliports and buildings that these mission use, namely :

• GrinnelliDesigns Air Show Assets
  • VPC Object by voc & virpil.com
  • Helipads
  • Civil_Objects
  • NATO Ground Forces and units

Any chance that someone encountered the same problem and has found a solution ? These mission are wonderful and I'd like to play them !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

"Outside of missions" is the key element there. That means there is no AI pathfinding occuring, no script conditions being monitored, no AI visibility checks, and all kinds of other processor-intensive real time activity... I can't speak to poly counts of specific objects, but I use most of those mods without issue in my own missions. That said I do have a reasonably beefy video card.

If you post your system specs folks might be able to offer some insight as to what the issue might be. If you're seeing major framerate dips when units are added to a location the most likely culprit is memory.

I think my system is not limited by memory ; I've got a 8700K clocked at 5.0Ghz, 32Gb RAM, and a 1080Ti with 11Gb of VRAM.

You may be right about AI and pathfinding and all, but I get reasonable (40-60) fps in my squadron's open training mission, which is really heavy (but only uses vanilla assets).

Anyhow, the fact that you use these mods without any slowdown in your missions tend to prove they're not at fault here.

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Well, the thing is, performance in DCS is usually good.

Like I said, I play often on our squad server, using a very complex multiplayer mission with lots of units and scripts, and I get between 50 to 80 fps now that I tuned everything right (with all the options maxed out).

Only in these two missions, which have in common that they include these additional models, is performance so bad.

I think I'll try and add some of these models to my squad training mission, just to see if performance plummets or not.