Joystick drivers?

I just bought a new joystick, plugged it into my PC and it works but in the documentation it says "visit our website to download the latest drivers"

Do I really need to do that? What's the point?

PS- In fact when I've bought other joysticks over the years I've simply plugged them in and they've worked fine too without downloading any drivers..:)

You don't have to download the latest drivers if you don't want to. As long as the stick works properly, you're fine, as long as you have a version of the drivers that works well.

However, if you notice any compatibility issues or button presses not working or general weirdness, update the drivers and see if it helps. For things like joysticks, most driver updates are about compatibility fixes with new OS versions etc.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Some devices may work without them, but imo it's best to just install drivers for any attached peripherals to ensure it's working as intended.

Checking for drivers is generally one of the first things I do for any new peripheral I plug into my PC, whether it's a mouse, xbox contoller, or rudder pedals and hotas. Some devices run on generic drivers, or Microsoft will install the latest driver in win10. But In most cases, it shouldn't be a difficult task to install drivers for a joystick/hotas and it ensures you have access to all of their functionality.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Thanks guys, I plugged in my new Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X and it works fine, but for good measure I just installed the latest drivers from their website (I think) and it still works fine.

I say "I think" because the download procedure was a bit complicated (I'm a grunt flight simmer/wargamer not a geek) so whether the download went in alright there's no way of telling..:)

Windows HID device drivers pick up on any standard analogue input (joystick axes) you plug in. It will do it's best to assign any other axes and buttons. If your joystick has a wide range of buttons/controls though, the driver provides the correct allocation - and with the associated software usually the ability to tune/amend/modify individual switches and controls instead of the default behaviour.

In general, if it works, you can leave it alone. If there are drivers, however, it's a good idea to use them.

You should generally never have to install ''drivers'' for ANY kind of gaming device. A DirectX compatible USB game controller is a DirectX compatible USB game controller. Whatever brand it is, whatever it looks like, whatever you call it, an axis is an axis, and a joystick button is a joystick button. Whether it's a VKB Gunfighter Pro with extension, or a CH rudder pedal, or a USB gamepad, the backend is generally identical. What you usually install is any item specific software necessary for macros, customisation, etc.

I have never needed to ''install drivers'' for any gaming device, unless it's not being recognised for some reason. I HAVE seen several instances of manually installing drivers, particularly with Saitek devices, SCREWING IT UP.

If Windows 'sees' it, and all the buttons and axises are working as expected, leave it alone. Only install any necessary 3rd party software.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2