Hotas help

farmertom

Hi,

New to DCS with VR..Very cool.

However I am looking for a function list of the various HOTAS switches, Like TMS forward long does "x", DMS left does "y", etc,etc.

I would assume that it is out there but there is a ton of posts to go thru...Can anyone point me in the correct direction...

sorry for the noobie question. :( Thanks so much.

Hi,

However I am looking for a function list of the various HOTAS switches, Like TMS forward long does "x", DMS left does "y", etc,etc.

I would assume that it is out there but there is a ton of posts to go thru...Can anyone point me in the correct direction...

The DCS A-10C flight manual has a section in it that has diagrams and charts for all of the switches. You can download it here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/dcs_a-10c_flight_manual_en/

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi,

Chuck's manuals are much easier when first getting started and walk you thru the systems to make it a little bit easier. Download them here

What joystick setup do you have farmertom? I only started with a single stick, so I came up with a method with the stick and keyboard that worked OK for the DCS A-10C.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

That is a nice chart Frederf!

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Chuck's manuals are much easier when first getting started and walk you thru the systems to make it a little bit easier. Download them here

What joystick setup do you have farmertom? I only started with a single stick, so I came up with a method with the stick and keyboard that worked OK for the DCS A-10C.

I am setting up a Rhino x-55 with joystick and throttle. With all the help I am almost getting it together..My brain is starting to hurt trying to remember all of these switches, and finding them while in VR. :joystick::joystick:

-regards all

I am setting up a Rhino x-55 with joystick and throttle. With all the help I am almost getting it together..My brain is starting to hurt trying to remember all of these switches, and finding them while in VR. :joystick::joystick:

-regards all

That's what makes it so much fun when getting started :). China hat forward long, coolie hat long left.

Practice and muscle memory, you do want to get these controls sorted as quickly as possible, if you start changing things around you will really get mixed up.;)

Practice with an easy mission so you can orbit and use the autopilot hold. I like the easy sitting ducks mission and sunset serra when starting, hang back and just orbit, using the TGP and setting spi and mark points.

Another good website to see what all the commands do, depending on current SOI Sensor Of Interest

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Practice with an easy mission so you can orbit and use the autopilot hold.

Yes, that is what I am doing. Miss more than I hit...

I seem to be having a problem locking on with the AGM-65..I slew over the targets and let go of the slew but it is hard to get a lock..any suggestions?

thanks

Yes, that is what I am doing. Miss more than I hit...

I seem to be having a problem locking on with the AGM-65..I slew over the targets and let go of the slew but it is hard to get a lock..any suggestions?

thanks

I think there was a problem with some models of Mavs in 2.5. I don't know if they already fixed that.

If not, I recommend you to first lock the target with the TGP, create a SPI and then slew the mav to SPI.

Once it is slewed to the SPI, keep presing TMS up to force lock till you get a proper lock.

The lock depends on the range, size of the object and constrast against the background.

After that, you can target several objectives with the TGP, create markpoints, and ripple fire mavericks to all markpoints in fast succession. But that is just advanced tactics. First things first. Kepp training the basics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As Eviscerador has explained above, the TGP will direct and hold the maverick seeker head at the target. When targeting just with a maverick you need to be close enough for the lock to happen. The TGP and spi just makes it easier.

Old post

Best way to fire them:

1) Find target with TGP

2) Set as SPI

3) Slave all sensors to SPI

4) Wait for MAV seeker to get in range

5) lock on with MAV

6) RIFLE!

7) find another target or egress

I will just Add

3.a) Switch to Maverick and make it Sensor of Interest, keep tapping TMS forward short to lock maverick.

You should still practice just using the maverick by itself too, just get closer so it will lock and keep the aircraft steady and trimmed out.

Edited by David OC