DCS: Iwo Jima Map

Silver_Dragon

Let's just leave it as un confirmed confirmed and wait and see what happens. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Yes it was a mistake on Steams part and yes now we know that these modules are in development. Don't get your hopes up. In the wise words of ED, everything is subject to change.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

I wonder how big is it going to be. I hope it isn't just Iwo and has north and south Iwo as well as Ogasawara as well.

Would be kind of boring if it's just one island.

I wonder how big it will be also but I'm not sure that Ogasawara or any of the others had an airfield. Ogasawara was were George Bush crash landed near and was rescued by a sub before he could be butchered. I can't image that it would take near the effort that the Nevada or Caucasus map required to make.

Well very excited by this news. This new map has a lot of potential. IL2 really set the bar for carrier ops back in the day. Hopefully DCS and Leatherneck will raise the bar to set the standards for another 15 years:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Japanese didnt have any planes at Iwo Jima when the Invasion happend.

So we are only flying as USA and Bomb stuff? :D

Yes, but there have been fierce dogfights over Iwo Jima earlier :

"General Kuribayashi arrived on Iwo Jima between 8 and 10 June. As a result, he was on the island when TG 58.1 and TG 58.4, consisting of seven aircraft carriers under the command of Rear Admiral Joseph J. Clark, unleashed their first strike against the Bonins, which resulted in the destruction of 10 Japanese fighters in the air and a possible 70 planes on the ground in two days of operations. In addition, 21 seaplanes were destroyed on Chichi Jima. On 24 June 1944, the American carriers under Admiral Clark again struck at Iwo. This time, 80 Japanese fighters rose to challenge the intruders. When the smoke of battle over Iwo cleared nearly half of the Japanese fighters had been destroyed. One of the Japanese fighter pilots who survived the fierce dogfights over lwo Jima that day commented:

The loss of forty planes and pilots in a single action staggered me. Equally disturbing was the sight of our inexperienced pilots falling in flames, one after the other, as the Hellcats blasted our outmoded Zeros from the Sky. How much like Lae the battle had been! Except that now the obsolescent planes were Zeros, and the inexperienced pilots were Japanese. The war had run full circle.

The loss of the 40 sorely needed fighters on 24 June was not the only disaster that befell Rear Admiral Teiichi Matsunaga, commanding the Japanese naval forces on Iwo. Not one of 20 torpedo bombers he sent out against the American carriers returned to the island. A third wave of 41 aircraft dispatched against the task force not only failed to inflict any damage on the carriers, but in the process nearly half of the Japanese planes were shot out of the sky."

There weren't corsairs, but hey, I can live with that for starters.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/IV/USMC-IV-VI-1.html

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

Is anyone else hoping for a type of "Combined Arms" update to include naval ships?

DCS has such amazing potential for naval engagements, both modern and historic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have 40s era vehicles be drivable in combined arms however, one thing that I would think would tricky about such a thing would be the business side of it. Combined arms is an ED product, so if LN (or any 3DP dev) created vehicles that are drivable in combined arms I would think some sort of deal would have to be made. I would wonder if LN would consider making its own combined arms type product. Or make it a bonus included feature (I know, gasp!) for LN created objects only when you purchase the map as insentive.

Just random thoughts late at night about things I have no clue about.

Edited by smnwrx

I'll point out (probably again) that it takes very little extra work to make a ground vehicle driveable in CA using the existing default gun sights. The main development expense would be creating either a world war 2 themed generic gun sight or specific gun sights for vehicles. Also, currently there is no way to alter the generic display on the driver sight, so that interface will look a little out of place in world war 2.

CA control of the ground vehicles seems like a win win win for everyone though. There is no reason for ED to be against it since it is another selling point for CA, and having a Japanese island you can drive world war 2 tanks on is another selling point for the map too... and being able to do this as the user is the third win.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the most important thing, or at least one of the important things is to not just present a theatre of operations - but to present it in context.

Specifically WW2 units on Iwo Jima will be so much better than what we have now - which is only the one map with modern units - feels very, very out of place while flying WW2 fighters. Would be great to see combined arms updated to include such vehicles or hell make them an addon to combined arms to reap some costs back.

LN Please be testing the VR performance for this map. Maybe we can have a special setting in graphics menu

graphic.options:VISIB DISTANCE = VR | Low | Medium | High | Ultra | Extreme

I can see in terrain.cfg.lua that you can load separate object sets based on this graphical setting.

Yeah, well, its passive a bit.

I'd hope more for like a June/July 1944 combat, having some Japanese Navy aircraft available as well. It was actually over Iwo Jima, where Saburo Sakai ended up fighting alone against 15 Hellcats, in a dogfight that lasted some 20 minutes, Sakai wasn’t hit by a single enemy round, despite thousands of rounds being shot at him and his craft being vastly inferior to those he was up against at this point in the war.

Edited by Hiromachi

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Some extracts from Reddit:

[–]Wissam24Tanker pilot confirmed dick 3 points 4 days ago

Poor choice of words I guess - I meant it'd be difficult to make it interesting or full of content, because of the tiny amount of land. I'd have thought Okinawa would've been a better choice because it's much bigger - but even then...

[–]Cobra8472Leatherneck Simulations 12 points 4 days ago

Okinawa on roadmap.

Iwo Jima is just the first of many and represents a good, easy, first Pacific map. More info soon.

[–]Teeter477Aviation Slut,Module Whore | Hoggit CSS | TCMC | 6 points 4 days ago

I have the feeling that LN is working on an AI zero to go with the Corsair. Remember so long ago that they posted that shot of the landing gear modeling and it was a big thing to figure out which Japanese plane it belonged to?

[–]Cobra8472Leatherneck Simulations 37 points 4 days ago

We're working on a lot of AI and theatre content. More soon.

Sounds like a 'semi-official' confirmation...

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

Yes, thats what I read. I hope there will be some major announcement by the end of this year.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Well, I hope that LN have made the decision to go all the way with creating a dedicated PTO theater. It's much less resource intensive than ETO and the planeset required to recreate historical scenarios is not extensive.

Early war battles only need 4-5 aircraft to become a reality : F4F, SBD, A6M2 and D3A - B5N. With these aircraft you can do Midway, Coral Sea, Aleutians, Solomons, etc. If you add an F6F and A6M5 or Ki-43 you can recreate most late war battles.

Good times ahead.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.