Which Black Hog Controller Layout for DCS?

Some of you may be aware of the Black Hog b-explorer controller. Also check out

It's a new button box and I decided to pre-order one at the end of last year. Orders are now beginning to ship and customers are being given the choice of three different layouts to suit their needs:

frontales2.png

The Model A version comprises of: 6 axis (2 potentiometers and 4 sliders), 4 toggles (3-way momentary toggle switches) and 8 buttons (one of them with a clear cover). Although no descriptions have been given for the Model B and C configurations, the key difference appears to be the no. of sliders vs. rotaries.

My question is which layout do you think would be most useful for DCS across all modules? I am leaning towards Model B (generic labelling of course), but would be interested to hear other opinions.

Thanks!

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeh i ordered one as well

Which layout are you going for?

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was just thinking about this today when I got their email. I am leaning to version A but also considering Version B, both with generic labeling. tough decision.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Quanta costa?

Price and shipping cost?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I’m gonna stick with A, can always convert axis to buttons if needed. And those 4 toggle switches are just in the right spot for the A-10C.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I agree that 4 sliders is a bit much for DCS but I like the 4 toggles and 2 extra buttons in the A model. Still undecided between the A and B.

It seems like the general consensus is either Model A or B. I do like Model A, but agree with others that the 4 sliders would be excessive for DCS. I would much rather use rotary axes to control cockpit panel light intensity, etc.

Remember you need to supply your own USB cable it doesn’t come with one type b I think

This suits me fine as I can get a cable of correct size without having to worry about extensions.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a TM WH throttle with a slider on the base. I tried out the slider on several cockpit functions (lights, etc) and it seemed to work fine. The WH slider does have a center indent and I assume the sliders in the Blackhog do not. Nevertheless, I think I am going to go with Model A generic for my choice rather than Model B.

Edited by sobe

Got a message from him saying there might be up to a six week delay in production for the second batch of orders

Thanks for the heads up. Shame, was hoping to get mine by Easter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody received the black hog controller yet? I just got an email to pick model and layout, but my order number is 3330 so I'm a bit further down the list.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Just got their email today.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it with A layout. I want those 3 way switches. I prefer rotaries to sliders but sliders can be used for lights too. And I like the A layout more overall. Space Sim labelling, as I plan to use it on Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

Enviado desde mi ALP-L09 mediante Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Last Email I received on May 8th:

Production status and delivery times

We have received lots of emails and messages trough social media, so I decided to give you guys all the information in one spot. We will still answer every single one of them, please take note that we are very busy right now with production, so it might take a bit more than usual to answer.

My initial expectations for delivery times have been too optimistic, but we keep working every day to minimize the delay. There have been some hiccups with the materials, like delays on deliveries or quality not matching our standards, making us ask for second or third round of materials until quality was reached.

For now I can only ask for a bit more patience, while assuring that you made the right decision choosing BlackHog, and that we are doing everything to deliver the best quality product.

These are the initial steps of the project and specially of the production. It’s a matter of time to have a streamlined production process.

At this moment is hard to talk about specific dates, we will contact individually everyone of you that made a purchase once your product is ready for production.

The demand is high, but as we optimize the process it will be easier to shorten delivery times, as it’s improving exponentially.

• 1 month later...

Not yet. In fact today, I requested a refund.

Got my refund. They were very nice about it. I only lost money because of the currency changes.