Show us your first carrier landing!

Flamin_Squirrel

So... In the Carrier Regard... Since we don't have the Forrestal just yet.. And I don't have the F/A-18 for the Stennis... Does DCS even have a Carrier you can Land on?

Have you considered defecting?

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

I'm not that great a pilot but I can usually land and have managed to get to the point where the F18 get down more often then not. Still opted for an airfield for the first Tomcat landing but fell from the sky very short of the runway... The carrier will have to wait..

Here it is

EDIT: direct YouTube playback did not want to work so go here

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I caught a one-wire on my first go. Not too shabby considering how bad my pattern looked. I also hadn't mapped DLC. Now, I'm still all over the place, but the DLC really makes life a lot easier.

I do admit to smashing the bird down on deck when I was clearly headed for a bolter. Just held DLC fwd, and careened into the 3-wire. Pretty textbook DCS player if you ask me...

Jester has given me the appropriate amount of crap on each of my landings.

I also tried AAR once - finally tanked up after about 15 minutes chasing the basket.

My ego is definitely writing checks my body can't cash.

So... In the Carrier Regard... Since we don't have the Forrestal just yet.. And I don't have the F/A-18 for the Stennis... Does DCS even have a Carrier you can Land on?

You should be able to use the Stennis even if you dont own the F/A-18. I dont own the hornet (and likely never will) yet I've been able to use the stennis no problem at all! :pilotfly:

I think it's much easier to fly the Case 1 pattern in the Tomcat than the Hornet. I haven't been using DLC and the thumbwheel though. For me that just confuses things.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Ramped up at Kobuleti, went straigt for the boat, wire 3, but dont ask any potential LSO for a grade, hehe.

Funny note:

Did 6 more traps then, all the time with a human RIO, he was talking to 2 other RIOs to understand the radar functions and didnt notice we were going to trap again until as he said "his head bumped against the radar screen" :D

I Love that multicrew thing, just great!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

After a couple of crashes well before landing, and another one on the tower, I managed to land it on the Stennis.

My problems are the following:

1- I have trouble managing the speed. My throttle is all over the place, and I more often than not buffet and stall. How do you engage the autothrottle?

2- I don't understand DLC I think. As soon as I engage it, it pushes the plane down. But I don't really know yet how I need to manage the throttle and AOA after engaging it. Also I don't understand what happens when one rolls DLC forward

Caught a 4 wire on my 3rd attempt, 1st time round I barely touched the deck, the beautiful cat just wanted to glide lol 2nd attempt Jester gave me the bolter bolter bolter. 3rd attempt just a little bit high, 4 wire said Jester. I'm absolutely loving this thing to fly. All the little noises, switches clicking, the entire F-14 experience is even more epic than I thought it would be.

Tomcat_1st_Trap_4_Wire.jpg

Edited by itstheLIKWID

After a couple of crashes well before landing, and another one on the tower, I managed to land it on the Stennis.

1- I have trouble managing the speed. My throttle is all over the place, and I more often than not buffet and stall. How do you engage the autothrottle?

2- I don't understand DLC I think. As soon as I engage it, it pushes the plane down. But I don't really know yet how I need to manage the throttle and AOA after engaging it. Also I don't understand what happens when one rolls DLC forward

Engaging DLC deploys the spoilers to their mid-way position. If you roll the DLC switch forward they'll retract, and rolling it back will deploy them to their full up position.

Here is mine. Skip ahead to 21:55 to cut to the chase. The video was made literally the very first time I fired up the F-14 sim to show my friend who is brand new to the F-14 the basics of the systems in flight, so the first part is alot of on the fly setup (boring). I have been flying the F-14 since "Fleet Defender", "Jane's F/A-18 Team Super Hornet Mod" and "FSX: Aerosoft F-14B and Dino's F-14D" so I'm spending alot of time in the video just trying to correlate what I know from those sims into the DCS one.

For instance, I can't seem to get DLC to work properly with my HOTAS and keybindings so I just end up trapping without. I'm also still trying to get a feel for the controls and flight model in DCS compared to FSX, so there's alot of wing wobble, haha. All of that on the fly adjustment and keybindings led to a case I recovery becoming a sloppy case III, with no DLC and no ILS. Ah, well.

Anyhow, here is my very first time ever flying--and landing--the DCS F-14B Tomcat:

(Sorry, YouTube preview doesn't want to seem to work)

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

DCL and Air break :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]