F-14 stick project

sagil

Hi all,

I wanted to share my project with you.

I am building a f-14 tomcat stick from scratch.

I started the design with pictures of the real stick, from them I took the dimensions of the grip.

Then I design the grip using SolidWorks for 3D printing (I have the flashforge creator pro printed):

ezazdxxxwezn.png

here are some pictures of the grip printed (Sorry for the bad quality, I`m a poor photographer):

xim2nzmjmqmv.jpg

mnfmm20kmiwv.jpg

5nyj2mkiyjjz.jpg

mmmmjlmrvmvg.jpg

zyu1jdc04oyu.jpg

those pictures are the first version, some improvement have been made since I took them.

this is a movie of the stick on the axis that i have built:

I will continue to update....

Edited by sagil

Stick used by the back seater.

You know you’ll probably get asked a lot to be selling copies of the pilot grip !!

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Stick used by the back seater.

You know you’ll probably get asked a lot to be selling copies of the pilot grip !!

RIOs are so good they can give them 2 sticks ;)

f-14a_161134_93_of_93.jpg

9209762111_2d5aac7d62_b.jpg

k7qpwmE.jpg

This is of the F14D

gzab24S.jpg

Edited by Alicatt
A N Other stick

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I’m sure Heatblur would be forthcoming with dimensions if you needed them

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Surprisingly hard to find dimensions, luckily the museum in my state of N.C. used to have the RIO stick (it is gone, I think someone broke it :() and it was ~1/2 to .47 the normal size of the F-14 pilot stick. Also had to use reference pictures.

Difficult to find pictures of the lefthand console of the rear cockpit of the F-14, even in all my F-14 books there are no pics of that side :)

It will be Thursday before I can re-install my HDD with the F-14 manuals on it to see what is on there, but they don't come with dimensions.

The second pic I posted in this thread is of an upgraded B with LANTRIN by the look of it, so not only do I need a left handed stick for Star Citizen, looks like I will need one for the Heatblur F-14B too :D

Clan Cameron

Hi all,

I wanted to share my project with you.

I am building a f-14 tomcat stick from scratch.

I started the design with pictures of the real stick, from them I took the dimensions of the grip.

Then I design the grip using SolidWorks for 3D printing (I have the flashforge creator pro printed):

ezazdxxxwezn.png

here are some pictures of the grip printed (Sorry for the bad quality, I`m a poor photographer):

xim2nzmjmqmv.jpg

mnfmm20kmiwv.jpg

5nyj2mkiyjjz.jpg

mmmmjlmrvmvg.jpg

zyu1jdc04oyu.jpg

those pictures are the first version, some improvement have been made since I took them.

this is a movie of the stick on the axis that i have built:

I will continue to update....

Great!!!

Inviato dal mio SM-G928F utilizzando Tapatalk

I think one stick at a time, now I don't mean it as inaccuracy but we could always use the LANTIRN stick as the same of the HCU. :) I personally think the community sees Air to Air more than Air to Ground when it comes to the F-14.

Ah ha! found a pic... it's in the new Haynes manual...

4fvLY4G.jpg

it is a little different than the F-18 stick tho.

grip_f18_0001-1.jpg

Clan Cameron

I am now modeling more accurate grip according to the drawing.

I think it would take me around one month until I will install it to my computer.

I am waiting to the PLA with 20% aluminum to arrive in order to print the new grip.

Edited by sagil

Hi

Now that I have the drawing, I have update the solidworks model (built it from scratch).

The plane is to print it with Aluminum infused PLA

here are some pics of the model:

5394413.JPG

4343686.JPG

Here is the internal design of the stick with akk it`s switches and all:

1830109.JPG

882259.JPG

Edited by sagil

This is all mine, my design, my print.

I don`t have to have permission from no one... it`s from pictures and not exact replica.

I`m going to connect it to me computer using BU0836X that I have purchase a wail ago

It`s not smoothed and painted yet. most of the wiring is finished

Now I have to design and built the spring mechanism of the gimble, smooth and paint it and that is it. hopefully in the next weeks

• 2 weeks later...