A10c Anti-Ship

Oscar Juliet

SOLVED

Alright so I'm a really damn fine A10c pilot if I say so myself. I know the aircraft inside and out. It is the only plane I fly. I've never tried to go against an enemy ship with it.

I want to know what kind of tips and tricks you guys have for going against one. Not by choice but out of necessity.

1) I need to know the A2A capabilities of different ships

2) I need to know what weapon types to deploy against the ships

3) I need to know if the TGP and Mavs are bugged as far as picking up a ship due to lovely ED bugs.

I managed to force correlate several mavs within 10 miles. While the ship did shoot at me and my missiles they missed. One mav went long and one went short. Its almost like they were not even aimed at the ship because it couldn't see it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Oscar Juliet

Force Correlate is a crapshoot even with stationary targets and have 0% chance of hitting a moving target. Ships typically are doing 3 knots.

Big mavs and big laser guided bombs are only thing that makes sense to me. Don't know if there are any bugs with ship targeting.

Bugs? Where did you see bugs? :music_whistling:

DCS has the world record

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

I my self was very interested in this a while back and did not succed. The weapons we carry on the a10 are simply not made for ship strike, you are either not going to harm the ship at all and/or get shot during the intent.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

A10 just has no way of properly taking out modern ships with both onboard AAA and medium - long range SAM defenses.

i forget but one of the Russian ships missiles are ineffective past a certain altitude, so you could drop Jdams or GBUs by flying above 30K feet and not be targeted, but most other ships will make quick work of the A10C.

Id settle for using the A10 as a anti boat platform carrying infantry. Thats where its effective "anti shipping" capabilities really end

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

A10 just has no way of properly taking out modern ships with both onboard AAA and medium - long range SAM defenses.

i forget but one of the Russian ships missiles are ineffective past a certain altitude, so you could drop Jdams or GBUs by flying above 30K feet and not be targeted, but most other ships will make quick work of the A10C.

Id settle for using the A10 as a anti boat platform carrying infantry. Thats where its effective "anti shipping" capabilities really end

or speed boats swarming around in narrow strait... hmmm... ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

you can only take out defenseless ships like cargo and dry

No you can easily attack destroyers with 2000lbs bombs. Thanks for the help guys.

Debrief:

3 x A10c loaded with GBU-10 and GBU-31s headed out toward the enemy destroyer or whatever similarities it has to a destroyer. 1 x A10c climbed to 20,000 feet and dropped a laser guided bomb via buddy lase. The bomb did not see the laser. We confirmed user error as the reason. 2 x GPS bombs were dropped via a laser created markpoint and caused a fire. Disabling the ships air defenses. Another a10c dropped a laser guided bomb from 14k feet and sunk the ship.

3x 2000lb bombs sunk the ship.

Well, good luck against a properly configured battle group with fleet denfense fighters.

It would be quite obvious that an A10c isn't going to run solo against an entire battle group with fighter support.

The idea of the thread is if you want to kill a ship with an A10c how do you do it? Why? Because of the 104th even that is going on this weekend. They want a few A10c pilots in it. They said the targets would be ships. Though I don't see the point in being an A10c pilot on a several hour mission for antiship detail.

I've been ground pounding in this thing a long time and taught many others how to. Research didn't find me any answers. So that is the reason for the thread. You can kill it. It is possible without risk to an A10c in perfect conditions if you know what you are doing.

Looks like you have everything under control, but:

The Molniya fires the SA-14 Gremlin (Strela-3)

The Grisha fires the SA-8 Gecko (Osa)

The Neustrashimy fires the SA-15 Gauntlet (Kynshal)

Anything bigger and you're starting to ask for trouble in a Hog but the smaller missile boats and patrol ships are totally fair game! You can sink them with a big pile of Mk82/GBU-12/38s or AGM-65D/Hs (targeting notwithstanding) but as you've noted the larger warheads are much more effective. You'll find guns/rockets to be pretty much totally ineffective.

2 x GPS bombs were dropped via a laser created markpoint and caused a fire.

How'd you calculate the aim offset?

I mean, if the ships were stationary, it doesn't make much sense to me to consider how to do it. Put the thing on the thing and mash that button, who cares whether the target floats on water or sits on the ground? ;)

But if they were *not* stationary, the big question is how to aim the big bombs. :smartass:

Basically the dry and bulk ones are easy prey for the GAU8 the tanker does needs like half ammo so not really reasonable. tanker takes 2x agm64h. The H seems to deal more damage then the d against it.

Apart from that double 500pound or single 1000pound ordanance will take out the tanker, while the bulk and dry cargo ship only need one 500pound class weapon.

Plan I have so far is basically run recon with le viggens, get rbs15s to blow up what is presenting a threat to the su25s and a10s and then have them roll in with their superior load carrying capacity.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

How'd you calculate the aim offset?

I mean, if the ships were stationary, it doesn't make much sense to me to consider how to do it. Put the thing on the thing and mash that button, who cares whether the target floats on water or sits on the ground? ;)

But if they were *not* stationary, the big question is how to aim the big bombs. :smartass:

LASTE takes care of the wind issue. I'm not sure if the ship was moving. If it was it wasn't going very fast. It started to move once it was on fire though.

Non moving targets are easy. Moving targets well you are told how many seconds it will take to hit the target. So you could guess and drop ahead of it. That is how I've hit moving convoys with bombs when out of mavs.

LASTE wind is bugged right now, never seen it fixed, I might be wrong however.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=146465&highlight=big+laste

the 'G' and 'K' mavericks have massive blast warheads and do pretty good damage to small ships like the Molynia, Rezky etc. Other than that your best bet is any of the 2000lb bombs dropped from above their defenses. OSA armed destroyers have a ceiling of 19000ft so as long as you're above that you're safe. If you're feeling exceptionally brave it is possible to BRRRRRT a Molynia as long as you approach it from exactly 12o'clock, its two defensive guns have a massive blind spot at the front of the ship!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well, some times ago my friends were into killing those ships like moskva and other modern heavy armed to teeth ones using su-25t and it's sead capabilities by simply locking the radar up (yeah I know totally crazy but that's absolutely fun:lol::lol::lol:)

, we usually used to fly in a package consist of 3su-25s 1 a-10c and maybe 2 or 1 fighters, the tactic was simple, fly low enough to make those stupid missiles end up in the sea shoot 18 missiles from 3 air crafts (kh25mpu and kh58u) from 20kms away..

turn around, and wait for the missiles to heat, and then let the hog to finish the job.

it some sort of works but that's totally stupid to do , in one of our early tests the 25s didn't make it to the ship but our hog driver did, he actually did put some bullets in the boat body before being sawed into 2 pieces by the defense guns :doh::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol::megalol:

• Like 1