Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

THRUST VECTORING LEVER

SCHOOL

In preparation of the new module,I just scratch built this lever to make the flight transitions more realistic. It also works great with propeller pitch adjustments on the WWII birds. My "cockpit" is a mix of everything so I can use it with all the modules. Custom rudder pedals, gear lever and 20 custom toggle switches and buttons. Now, Just waiting on the VKB MCG Pro.

Used a basic Thrustmaster usb stick for the pots and circuit board. Works great.

Razbam, Is this good enough for an early access key to help with testing?

IMG_2079.thumb.JPG.d19cea9ccc3bbb345f569afbcb77dbb2.JPG

IMG_2080.thumb.JPG.548b9dd84ad92794be425e5a8b41b1ce.JPG

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.79029e78e7444c3b67cb2e2d86e564b5.jpg

• Like 1

If you have a lever for the nozzles. No problem.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

This is my flightsim pit.

I work here coding and flying our aircrafts. In this case the AV-8BNA.

20170620_231002_zpskdf2t40e.jpg

There are a couple of new stuff here:

The Logitech G910 keyboard that I just received yesterday and the two XKeys programmable keyboards.

20170620_230949_zpsovpgciqj.jpg

XK-60 Keyboard, configured as the AV-8B NA's UFC. Unfortunately I can't still make the top row work in DCS, but the other 40 buttons work like a charm.

20170620_230943_zpsipgke9fx.jpg

XK-12 Joystick. I bought this for the joystick. So I can test axis movements with a spring loaded joystick that returns to 0 as soon as you release it.

Both XKeys devices are pricey but those were purchased as business expenses.

The Logitech G910 was me deciding that I deserve one so I bought it. :)

Now I need the pedals but those will wait for a while. My wallet must recover from these purchases.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Thanks Zeus. Can't wait to get her in the air. The lever below the throttle will be actuating the nozzles..As close as I could get to the harrier with the space available. Will add a 3d printed upper cover (gray curved part) with increment marks when I get the harrier module calibrated to the lever. Should look cool.

As for the fan, the sim is in the garage and I'm in Southern California. Comes off in the winter...

IMG_2082.thumb.JPG.bd4f6afa06a84abbba552de7243fa85c.JPG

harrier.thumb.jpg.3ec28b50c49c87e0a17f9ee758bf9a69.jpg

Thanks Zeus. Can't wait to get her in the air. The lever below the throttle will be actuating the nozzles..As close as I could get to the harrier with the space available. Will add a 3d printed upper cover (gray curved part) with increment marks when I get the harrier module calibrated to the lever. Should look cool.

As for the fan, the sim is in the garage and I'm in Southern California. Comes off in the winter...

Take into consideration that the nozzles lever is reversed. The nozzles 0 position is forward an its maximum rotation 99 degrees is fully aft.

Yeah, That stick and throttle are pushing 18 years with no issues. VKB MCG pro is coming ASAP (I need the brake lever) to replace the stick but I am considering a scratch built throttle next with 3 levers and a host of switches.

2017-06-26_13-34-36.thumb.jpg.67097c8f6dd2c83a8d4fc3975ac936b7.jpg

• 1 month later...

So the Thrust Vectoring nozzles will have an axis to assign? Excellent news! I really don't want to do that with buttons - CH Throttle Quadrant will be kept busy! Can we have an Axis for Landing Gear too, please?

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

So the Thrust Vectoring nozzles will have an axis to assign? Excellent news! I really don't want to do that with buttons - CH Throttle Quadrant will be kept busy! Can we have an Axis for Landing Gear too, please?

But in DCS the landing gear does not only have two stages? Extended or retracted?

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

Because that is how it is in the aircraft...I don't want to press a button when there is a lever in the aircraft.

On top of the fact that the realistic option allows for greater control and accuracy, it also makes transitioning from vertical to horizontal flight that little bit less suicidal...

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

Because that is how it is in the aircraft...I don't want to press a button when there is a lever in the aircraft.

Sorry to nitpick, but the landing gear lever is a switch with a large knob attacked to it. Not a lever where you have a range of landing gear positions between fully up and fully down. Using an axis for this function is not only pointless, but it is "wrong" (i.e. it isn't that way in the real aircraft). it makes about as much sense as using an axis for the ejection system or the canopy latch.

On top of the fact that the realistic option allows for greater control and accuracy, it also makes transitioning from vertical to horizontal flight that little bit less suicidal...

We're talking about the request for a landing gear axis, not the nozzle position...

Edited by drPhibes

Does anyone know if the trust vectors are moved around during flight? Or is it only during takeoff & landing they're adjusted? Also are the nozzle vectors something that we could see mapped to specific buttons (click for proper angle for landing, click another to return to normal flight angle for example)? Or is the movement of an axis necessary to proper flying in the harrier?

I hope that made sense:joystick:

Intel i7-4790K 4GHz l 32 GB DDR3 l MSI 1080ti l Gigabyte 97ZX l TrackIR + DelanClip l TM Warthog HOTAS l CH Pedals

AV-8B l AJS-37 l A-10A l A-10C l F-15C l F-16C l F-5E l F-14A/B l F-86F l F/A-18C l Hawk l M2000 l MiG 29 l NTTR l Persian Gulf l Su-27 l Su-33 l Su-25 l Supercarrier l L-39 l UH-1 l

The nozzles are usually used for decreasing takeoff distance and to land vertically or in a reduced run on. They can also be moved during normal flight, for example, if you need to decelerate in a dive or during combat as part of a last ditch break maneuver. In game perhaps the nozzle function could be set to a rotary or spare throttle, this would be usefull as sometimes you may need to use more than 82 degrees (stable hover) of nozzle and push into the breaking/hover-stop (96-98 degrees? iirc). :joystick:

Take into consideration that the nozzles lever is reversed. The nozzles 0 position is forward an its maximum rotation 99 degrees is fully aft.

Are we going to be able to bind the nozzle control to the rotary knobs on the X-55?

Come check me out on

YouTube!

Twitch!

Have a listen to the Alert 5 Podcast - YOUR source for the latest combat flight simulation news!

• 1 month later...

20170620_230943_zpsipgke9fx.jpg

Noticed the H2O buttons here, are you guys implementing the water injection system too then?

I take it the up/down is the switch position?

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Noticed the H2O buttons here, are you guys implementing the water injection system too then?

Yes, we have.

I take it the up/down is the switch position?

Yes. They refer to switch position.