New lighting WAY TOO MUCH!

wilbur81

I'm sure it's great at night, but SHEESH... in every other regime it is WAY too much. It appears that the old gamma setting made a '3' the new '1'. I loaded up a PG mission about 1 hr before sunset and everything in the hornet cockpit was crazy at 2.7 gamma...the AMCD map looked like a neutron star...and all the cockpit displays look totally over exposed. I had to slide gamma all the way back to 1, which gave everything a shadowy yellow/green hue and made the lighted objects look good but everything else WAY too dark. It just looks really bad. It's hard to explain, but everything looks more cartoonish somehow. I know it's day 1 of the new patch and these are merely first impressions on my part, and I know it is a WIP, but man, I wish they'd go back. Not a fan...

Again, I'm sure night time now looks 'neato' to people, but every other time of day...bleh.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I agree that at small citys & villages night-lighting is way to much.

turn the gamma down a bit and it's fine.

Yeah, but then you get too dark cockpit during day!

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

DJDA9dP.png

Can certainly get quite interesting at times...

I leave my gamma at default ( 2 is it? ). Looks ok to me. Outside of Mi-8 schenanigans, obviously...

Only flown the Mirage aside from the Mi-8 at night, feels like the cockpit has ( quite ) a bit too much bloom & not enough scattered light - moon is shining through the RH side of the canopy, there was a vague change in lighting when my head stopped occluding it but not noticeable without watching for it. If the instrument lights are really that glowy they should be illuminating the cockpit somewhat. That PC light would do horrible things to night vision :p

71WDKo1.jpg

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

I'm sure it's great at night, but SHEESH... in every other regime it is WAY too much. It appears that the old gamma setting made a '3' the new '1'. I loaded up a PG mission about 1 hr before sunset and everything in the hornet cockpit was crazy at 2.7 gamma...the AMCD map looked like a neutron star...and all the cockpit displays look totally over exposed. I had to slide gamma all the way back to 1, which gave everything a shadowy yellow/green hue and made the lighted objects look good but everything else WAY too dark. It just looks really bad. It's hard to explain, but everything looks more cartoonish somehow. I know it's day 1 of the new patch and these are merely first impressions on my part, and I know it is a WIP, but man, I wish they'd go back. Not a fan...

Again, I'm sure night time now looks 'neato' to people, but every other time of day...bleh.

no wonder your having problems - gamma at 2.7 lol ! i have mine at 1.2 to 1.3 looks normal and great.

Only reason why folks turn up gamma so high is to see ground units easier in my experience - ruins the visuals wish servers could lock gamma settings as an option.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

Initial release guys. As some suggested turn down the gamma.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

no wonder your having problems - gamma at 2.7 lol ! i have mine at 1.2 to 1.3 looks normal and great.

Only reason why folks turn up gamma so high is to see ground units easier in my experience - ruins the visuals wish servers could lock gamma settings as an option.

Only reason? You're wrong. 2.7 gamma looked perfect for me prior to this update, striking the best balance between day and nite... and had nothing to do with object visibility or spotting.

This is totally nonsense! And one of the worst idea I've red. All monitors are different.

We all know it's a huge beta-update(besides one guy), that's why we are reporting to make it better.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

This is totally nonsense! And one of the worst idea I've red. All monitors are different.

While that is true, monitor colour profiles and calibration should get all monitors reasonably close for a gaming use case. You probably won't ever get 3 completely colour matched unless they're aimed at professionals with a suitable price tag, but luma levels should be easier. Calibration is a little time consuming and to do it properly you need a tool, but eyeball calibration with test images is easy & good enough for general stuff.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

If you have to recalibrate your monitor for day and then for night, your monitor is not calibrated correctly...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

All cheap monitors are uncalibrated out of the box.

Fixed that for you. They're right though, calibration would introduce a degree of uniformity. People really underestimate the effect their own decisions regarding their display has on their experience.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

For what it's worth, apart from purging shader files, you guys might want to try to delete options.lua file to reset all options to stock and work your way up from here.

I did it and daylight missions look pretty much the same in as they did before the patch, on the same gamma I'm used to (1.8 ). I only noticed - when loading the mission and the complete 3D scene shows up, the brightness is indeed cranked up to some completely stupid value at first, but then within a second the game smoothly reduces it to my preferred setting and all is fine again.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I have my monitor calibrated for design-work and daylight @ 6500K. DCS lighting during the day was just fine before the patch at a gamma of 1.8 (2.0 is the default i think). First impression after patch with the same settings is that noon or daylight in general is to washed out now. Or has too much bloom, I dont know. I have to dial back gamma to 1.6 for comparable results before patch. But then, the pits are too dark in the shadow areas, middletones about right highlights are to washed out. Its a shame, because I thinks DCS had allready one of the most real environments during daylight. Now its a step to much IMHO. Hope it gets further tuned...

I'm gonna put a small amount on bloom - I've yet to find an implementation in a game that wasn't overdone & usually I just turn it off. I did try enabling HDR but I don't think it actually works yet.

If you have to recalibrate your monitor for day and then for night, your monitor is not calibrated correctly...

Well, lets see....my monitor is properly calibrated. In the 2 civil-sims, when no-moon, pitch-dark night is displayed, it works flawlessly. DCS 2.5 it worked flawlessly. DCS 2.5.6 doesn't work, whatever I try. So where do you think the flaw is?

Calibrating screens is useless if you don't take your Mk.I eyeballs into account. In my case (all IRL!), an overcast day is already very dark, dusk and dawn are literally pitch black and I can't even see stars in a clear sky at night. Car lights in the dark are like having stared right into the sun for a minute. I run DCS at 2.8 Gamma and it's still pretty dark to me. And I've yet to find out how to calibrate a Rift, let alone set BRT, CON and GAM for it. I guess it's not possible at all without hacks.

Night flying in DCS 2.5 up until 2.5.6 literally is just a fluid black screen for me unless some lights inside the cockpit are on...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Post your 2.5.6 screens here

Hey, Fellas.

If you have more time on your hands than me, a favor: :)

Start posting screenshots here of the Persian Gulf and Caucasus maps during sunrise/dawn and sunset/dusk hours.

These hours have been the most beautiful lighting in DCS in my opinion for some time. After the move to 2.5.6, the lighting during these hours looks saturated, mis-colored, and unnatural to my eye, when before it was natural, subtle, and beautiful.

If you can post, please indicate your gamma setting for the screenshot.

Thanks! :thumbup:

I totally agree. Calibrate for daytime terrain and the cockpits are too dark to see anything at certain angles to the sun. Calibrate for the cockpits and the terrains are blown out!

The cartoony looks are poor as well. Still, this is the first stab at it, and I'm sure ED will refine it as time goes on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Calibrate for daytime terrain and the cockpits are too dark to see anything at certain angles to the sun. Calibrate for the cockpits and the terrains are blown out!

The cartoony looks are poor as well. Still, this is the first stab at it, and I'm sure ED will refine it as time goes on.

For sure. I'm just puzzled that ED isn't acknowledging this. It's perfectly legitimate for them to try new things, trial and error style. But when people are saying it looks fantastic... I'm just confused because it really seems like a step back in every way barring night light visibility. Am I noticing this more because I play on a 4K screen?

Imacken, what monitor and resolution do you play at? (or is it VR?)

For sure. I'm just puzzled that ED isn't acknowledging this. It's perfectly legitimate for them to try new things, trial and error style. But when people are saying it looks fantastic... I'm just confused because it really seems like a step back in every way barring night light visibility. Am I noticing this more because I play on a 4K screen?

Imacken, what monitor and resolution do you play at? (or is it VR?)

Monitor and HMD are on my sig.

It is certainly worse in VR, but poor on 4K monitor as well.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box