DCS F-16 questions

Vinny002

“Airborne Video Tape Recorder“ - Basically it’s the unit that records the HUD view + radio transmissions etc.

Guess it would be fun to have HUD tapes in DCS lol

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have some questions too. i will start from airspeed..

as per manual:

Airspeed and Mach Indicator

The Airspeed and Mach indicator is pneumatically powered by the pitot-static system. Airspeed is indicated by

the outside gauge and pointer between 80 and 850 knots, and Mach is indicated in the window near the top of

the indicator between 0.5 and 2.2 Mach. The red triangle on the indicator indicates the VNE, or velocity never

exceed.

Problem 1: 850knots= 1.3mach not 2.2

Problem 2: i have never seen above 6xx knots in the hud

So what is the true airspeed of the Viper?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

tried 38000, airspeed: 1.00 mach

Got another question too.. Is there any way to lock on a target mode and bomb it? like you lock on an A-A target? If there is, which tutorial can i watch/read about it? I find it difficult to hit a target with typical A-G unguided bombing, i always miss the target by a few meters :D

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Got another question too.. Is there any way to lock on a target mode and bomb it? like you lock on an A-A target? If there is, which tutorial can i watch/read about it? I find it difficult to hit a target with typical A-G unguided bombing, i always miss the target by a few meters :D

CCRP mode, works same was as guided bombs. Use waypoints or your tgp

You need to dump your load, so to speak! Weapons, external tanks etc.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

CCRP mode, works same was as guided bombs. Use waypoints or your tgp

Yeap, thank you, i got it now :thumbup:

You need to dump your load, so to speak! Weapons, external tanks etc.

I will try thanx!

about flares, how can i dispense only one at a time? right now when i click the button it drops 10 per click, i just want to drop them manually 1 per click.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

about flares, how can i dispense only one at a time? right now when i click the button it drops 10 per click, i just want to drop them manually 1 per click.

You need to start reading the manual and looking at YT tutorials on the Viper, but in answer to your question, select Bypass on the CMDS panel to fire single chaff and flare.

Here is a good place to start

Other good guys are RedKite, Growling Sidewinder and Spudknocker.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

During a mission i when i stop touching the stick, after a few seconds on the hud i have a flashing "ALIGN" signal, and all the targets dissapear on the HSI, when i touch the stick though everything comes normal again. i read the manual it's something about the INS alignment during th startup, but i use the auto startup cheat, shouldn't be aligned?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think with the startup cheat you still need to wait the 8 mins for the full alignment and then set the INS knob the NAV. The cheat can flick switches for you but it can’t remove amounts of time that you have to wait. Do yourself a favour and learn how to cold start it, it’s only a few switches anyway!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

has anyone got some advice for fighting against F-18s in BFM? I can do ok against most opponents but hornets really give me a hard time. From what I can tell the F-16 has superior turn radius and TWR, but hornet has way better low energy control at high aoa. I always seem to end up getting baited into a scissors, or they will just override fcs in a turn and pull a snapshot on me with the radar gunsight which F-16 doesn't have yet.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

has anyone got some advice for fighting against F-18s in BFM? I can do ok against most opponents but hornets really give me a hard time. From what I can tell the F-16 has superior turn radius and TWR, but hornet has way better low energy control at high aoa. I always seem to end up getting baited into a scissors, or they will just override fcs in a turn and pull a snapshot on me with the radar gunsight which F-16 doesn't have yet.

Don't let yourself get slow. Use your speed to your advantage. Don't get below 350. Preferably up around 450. Use the vertical as the Hornet wont have the power to follow you at speed. We are fighting a bit with our hands behind our backs at the moment as the F-16 pilot G tolerance is not where it should be. Hopefully that will improve.

Proud owner of:

Quick datalink question. I've made a mission with some friendly F-15s and F-16s, E3 and some enemies. I can't see them on the datalink or anything for that matter on the HSD, not even my wingmen. IFF is on, as is the MIDS switch. Just wondering if I missed a step or forgot to press something somewhere?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick datalink question. I've made a mission with some friendly F-15s and F-16s, E3 and some enemies. I can't see them on the datalink or anything for that matter on the HSD, not even my wingmen. IFF is on, as is the MIDS switch. Just wondering if I missed a step or forgot to press something somewhere?

Cold and dark mission or hot/air start?

Proud owner of:

I guess, you are talking about the possibility to lock a target with your HMCS, when you say radar gunsight.

This does work in the F-16C.

Make sure your HMCS is on.

Put your Dogfight switch in Dogfight Override and then push TMS forward.

Put the target in the HMCS-egg and press TMS up again to lock.

Video explaining the ACM modes:

Edited by takamba

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

Not sure, but you might need to enable the DL on the AWACS (I think it's called MPLRS or something like that and can be found in the waypoint options).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not sure, but you might need to enable the DL on the AWACS (I think it's called MPLRS or something like that and can be found in the waypoint options).

Thanks for the suggestion - tried it but still no luck. Did an autostart on the same mission and that worked - it definitely seems to be something I'm missing on the startup process. Will keep searching, probably something simple.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the suggestion - tried it but still no luck. Did an autostart on the same mission and that worked - it definitely seems to be something I'm missing on the startup process. Will keep searching, probably something simple.

How far are you letting the align progress before going to nav? Are you doing the stored heading align? Switch all the switches on, on the same panel as the INS knob?

Proud owner of:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if i have the same issue with Dun_Aenghus. I decided to stop autostarting the viper and start quick manual starting. i am doing all the steps i saw in various tutorials but i have noticed 2 faults so far.

1) on the right MFD i can't see bullseye etc. only the steering points and the flight path

1) on the HUD the small diamond that indicates waypoint is not working is always fixed in the center of the hud..

maybe i have more faults, but i have noticed this 2 for now

I am doing a 4 min INS alignment and i even did a full 8 min allingment until it reached level 6, still didn't fixed anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know if i have the same issue with Dun_Aenghus. I decided to stop autostarting the viper and start quick manual starting. i am doing all the steps i saw in various tutorials but i have noticed 2 faults so far.

1) on the right MFD i can't see bullseye etc. only the steering points and the flight path

1) on the HUD the small diamond that indicates waypoint is not working is always fixed in the center of the hud..

maybe i have more faults, but i have noticed this 2 for now

I am doing a 4 min INS alignment and i even did a full 8 min allingment until it reached level 6, still didn't fixed anything.

You’re not completing the alignment properly. Take a look here.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4189570&postcount=19

Proud owner of:

Yeap, thanks, think that is the problem, was not confirming the ICP coordinates. but, do i have to wait 8mins? won't be ready in 4?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what about the external centerline tank? i add one but when i move the switch to EXT CTR it always shows 0 fuel, is this normal?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]