Hornet UFC (potentially)

Brun

Brun, would you share ur switch models with me? I’m currwntly doing the same thing u are but for the F-15e with Modo and I’m lookibg for either the accurate dimensions or an accurate model of the switches. No biggie if u don’t want to tho. I understand how much work goes into these.

Many hours of soldering:

UFC_image_001.jpg

Increased my skill level about 200% during this. Fortunately the heat shrink tubing does a good job of hiding my earlier sins.

Many minutes of connecting things:

UFC_image_002.jpg

And the result!

UFC_image_003.jpg

I decided the 3D printing was too expensive so went for a slightly more modest solution using the front panel of an old Antec PC case. Quality control issues mean I have one button missing entirely and a couple in the wrong places. Still pretty pleased with the result, anyone still want me to make one for them?

Also got it in DCS for the first time. I'm slightly amazed that the whole thing works with only some minor teething problems...

One push button and one direction of an encoder aren't working, which I suspect is my soldering failing. Hopefully simple enough to investigate and fix.

The encoders are acting a bit weird. The COMM 1 and 2 (18 PPR) ones seem absolutely fine, but the others (24 PPR) seem to suffer from interference where they're sending inputs for the wrong direction. They're set up accordingly in the BBI software. The VOL 1 encoder seems more reliable that the others. Could it be an EMI issue?

The other odd thing is one of the three position switches isn't behaving correctly. It's doing ON - ON - OFF which is a bit useless. Seems to suggest I've connected it to the controller wrong, but visually everything is appears ok so that's gonna need further investigation.

Despite the above I'm pretty delighted with where I'm at. It's also worth mentioning that all the three position switches in the sim have the 'special for joystick' functionality, so work without having to dick about with input lua files, which is a great relief.

P.S. I was joking about the 3D printing. It definitely is expensive, but is ordered and being processed by shapeways. ETA 11th, so a week Tues. I daredn't look at the model any more in case I spot something wrong. Gonna be a long wait...

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

The other odd thing is one of the three position switches isn't behaving correctly. It's doing ON - ON - OFF which is a bit useless. Seems to suggest I've connected it to the controller wrong, but visually everything is appears ok so that's gonna need further investigation.

Turns out I hadn't set up the encoders correctly in the BBI-64 software. Had this switch assigned as one.

Double checking the other settings means the encoder which wasn't working in one direction, now is.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

Switches used are listed in post #2.

I saw a lot like the above but wanted ones with a distinct button. Lights weren't a concern cos of the VR thing.

Hornet UFC (potentially)

Switches used are listed in post #2.

I saw a lot like the above but wanted ones with a distinct button. Lights weren't a concern cos of the VR thing.

Do the parts you purchased all have a solid, tactile click/feel? I’ve found this is usually the most important function for buttons.

Edit: Nvm, saw your other post with the answers! I already have a full slew of mil-spec Honeywell and Cutler Hammer toggle switches, but I’ll keep a search going for push buttons of the same quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Quick update on those teething problems. The issue with the encoders is minimised - but not completely eliminated - by changing the pulse length in the BBI-64 software. It was something low by default and while testing I'd increased it to 200ms. Back down to 48ms now and working much better.

Couldn't see anything wrong with the soldering of the one push button that wasn't working, but I replaced the wire and that's fine now.

Upshot of that is everything is now working exactly as it should. Nothing short of a minor miracle.

Had a delivery...

UFC_image_004.jpg

UFC_image_005.jpg

First impression was overwhelming relief, in that it looked very similar to what I expected. I'm incredibly pleased with how well it fits together, it's actually really solid even without screws.

The finish is a bit industrial, but I knew that would be the case. I'm tempted to give it a once over with fine sand paper and the dremel, but will need to test that on an inaccessible piece first. Also bought some Tamiya Spray paint, but the same applies to that.

Some of the switch holes are a very tight fit. I'm gonna enlarge them slightly but will adjust the model as well.

Minor grumble is that one of the side pieces is rather bent...

UFC_image_006.jpg

Once it's assembled this is barely noticeable, but it's still disappointing that Shapeways quality control didn't pick it up.

That looks awesome! Super excited to see the final product once it is all assembled.

Also, agreed that is unfortunate re: Shapeways QC...but glad it is not noticeable once assembled. Maybe reach out to them to see if they can make it right somehow?

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Finished!

UFC_image_007.jpg

Well, almost. Didn't like the finish of the knobs so I've taken them off for a coat of grey primer.

Really pleased with the shelving brackets I found on amazon. Bit over the top, but a perfect fit both physically and aesthetically...

UFC_image_008.jpg

Rushed to get the MFDs on, so at the moment they're a bit wonky and not in the right place. Should be easy enough to sort at some point.

UFC_image_009.jpg

The VR experience is a bit fumbly at the moment, but I'm confident that will improve over time. I've some little rubber furniture protection things on a few buttons to help distinguish them.

I came across a few issues with the design during assembly so will tweak those before making it available.

Wish you hadn't asked me that, just added it all up and it's about £400.

Two things to counter the expense tho'. Firstly I'm really happy with the way it turned out, it feels much more professional than I expected. And - more importantly - it actually works.

Secondly, I've really enjoyed the experience of making it. As I mentioned before, 3D modelling is my day job, and while I have a reasonably technical background I've never had to model something which has to physically work. The fact that (with minor modifications) it came back just as I intended is incredibly satisfying.

I hope the question about cost wasn't a prelude to asking for one, cos that's not gonna happen I'm afraid. Unless I was gonna throw in my time as a favour (which I'm sure you wouldn't expect) I'd have to double the price. Then it's suddenly an £800 'product' made by some bloke in his kitchen with very little guarantee over its long (or even short) term reliability. I couldn't sell that with a clear conscience.

The 3D model will be available soon, either/or as an OBJ or via Shapeways (£230). I'd be really happy to see other people making these themselves.

Edited by Brun

The 3D model will be available soon, either/or as an OBJ or via Shapeways (£230). I'd be really happy to see other people making these themselves.

Brun,

Your UFC looks great.

Do you think it would be cheaper to print on Shapeways if it was more modular in construction?

Part of Shapeways pricing is based on the number of parts, so it's a trade-off. I tried various combinations before settling on this one. Might not be clear from the photos, but as well as the sides being separate, the entire HUD panel is as well.

Wish you hadn't asked me that, just added it all up and it's about £400.

Two things to counter the expense tho'. Firstly I'm really happy with the way it turned out, it feels much more professional than I expected. And - more importantly - it actually works.

Secondly, I've really enjoyed the experience of making it. As I mentioned before, 3D modelling is my day job, and while I have a reasonably technical background I've never had to model something which has to physically work. The fact that (with minor modifications) it came back just as I intended is incredibly satisfying.

I hope the question about cost wasn't a prelude to asking for one, cos that's not gonna happen I'm afraid. Unless I was gonna throw in my time as a favour (which I'm sure you wouldn't expect) I'd have to double the price. Then it's suddenly an £800 'product' made by some bloke in his kitchen with very little guarantee over its long (or even short) term reliability. I couldn't sell that with a clear conscience.

Thanks for the progress update! It looks great.

Please do consider sharing the 3D model with this membership so we can all build one as well. My Ultimaker is patiently waiting to get started :)

Thanks again,

Derek

Ice,

Are you able to set switches independently within each module using the BBI-64?

I hear what your saying about the momentary switches, on one hand you gain simplicity and on the other you loose fidelity. The only way around is a prestart/pre-flight checklist. In flight school the instructor always put one or two switches in an incorrect position to make sure we were actually doing the checklist.

Good to know the BBI is working and all 64 buttons are being read.

Fused, The BBI should show up as another usb controller in your control options just like your TM warthog throttle and stick do. (and anything else plugged in) which means you can go through and use the connected buttos however you like in any aircraft.

On a side note, you can achieve a similar and a little cheaper result with arduino micros or leonardos. Limit here is that they wont do 64 inputs straight up. You would need to run a matrix to get that number of buttons out of its pins and so does need extra wiring/pcb and some code.

Could probably cut the cost down by $50 but you'll spend that back in several hours of setup too probably.