Single Engine Carrier Landing

Topper81

Hello I have one question:

Can a F/A-18 land with a faliure of one engine on an aircraft carrier in real?

Or will the pilot eject in the case beside the carrier if there is no runway within fuel range?

Because I tried it and it seems to be very difficult..., and on a runway it's much more easy.

If yes, is there any video / procedure for it?

Thanks!

Edited by Topper81

Hello I have one question:

Can a F/A-18 land with a faliure of one engine on an aircraft carrier in real?

Or will the pilot eject in the case beside the carrier if there is no runway within fuel range?

Because I tried it and it seems to be very difficult..., and on a runway it's much more easy.

If yes, is there any video / procedure for it?

Thanks!

For your first question, the answer is yes. But once that engine is offline, if the aircraft traps, it has to be towed out of the landing area because you lose hydraulics (no brakes, cant raise hook, etc).

You would have to look in the Pilot NATOPS for single engine procedures.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

You only lose hydraulics from the associated hydraulic system. Port engine is HS1 and starboard engine is HS2. HS2 has your brakes, tailhook, IFR probe, landing gear, launch bar, NWS, and gun. Both systems also supply hydraulic power to the flight controls. If you lose the starboard engine you lose gun and launch bar. Everything else still works top some extent due to accumulator in the emergency circuit of HS2. If you lose the port engine you still have everything hydraulic.

Will the carrier drive a different course than normal to compensate the resulting side-drift of the aircraft?

The ship will always (IRL) remain at BRC until the last aircraft traps. The WOD should be right down the angle. There is no overhead break. Single engine is a straight-in approach much like Case II/III. Of course, we try to get the emergency jet last. Doesn't always happen though!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Will the carrier drive a different course than normal to compensate the resulting side-drift of the aircraft?

There is no change, even for an aircraft like a Hawkeye with much more asymmetry. The ship will try to keep the winds over the deck as much as possible. If the winds are artificial (ship generated) then there be a slight “crosswind” component from the right. As an aside, a hornet single engine does not really have much asymmetric thrust.

Hi thank you all for this interesting information and help!

After a bit training, it's ok now, so I've made a little youtube video because I havn't found something similar.

Sorry I forgott to enable the input window but see the description of the video for more info1

Edited by Topper81

Related Question: Do you ever train for single engine recoveries? (e.g. simulator). Thanks in advance.

We train for all sorts of malfunctions and emergencies. Single engine, INS failure, fuel leak, etc. and sometimes compound emergencies as well. Of course normal procedures are practiced thoroughly as well.

What about dead stick landing at an air field? Hydraulics are gone, no way to control the flight surfaces? Eject?

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

What about dead stick landing at an air field? Hydraulics are gone, no way to control the flight surfaces? Eject?

With no hydraulics the aircraft can’t fly. Eject. Even a few types of triple circuit HYD failures can be uncontrollable.

Maybe you aren't aware but G B is a naval aviator, LSO, and flew hornets and rhinos for most of his career. I'd surmise he might've even seen it been done. Take his word for it.

I don't think Mav was questioning the validity of G B; I think he was asking out of curiosity...

Was referring to the Hornet but that was actually pretty interesting! Thanks.

Yeah! NASA has tested a Fly By Wire System called "PCA" which has worked for the Eagle, so it could work also for the hornet as well: :)

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/history/pastprojects/PCA/index.html

But you are right there is no evidence that such a thing ever worked for the hornet and I guess it's verry hard to land with such a system on a carrier... But who knows... :smilewink:

Edited by Topper81

I don't think Mav was questioning the validity of G B; I think he was asking out of curiosity...

If that's the case I owe him an apology: sorry Maverick. To be fair, I was not trying to sound condescending. It's just that we have precious few hornet drivers helping us along and most people don't know who's who.

If a suitable divert is available and fuel is not an issue, it is often better to head to that divert.

Yeah that's what I was told, if you're on a single... you don't mingle!

(ok he didn't say that bit and I just made it up :D )

But happy to learn something new, especially straight from the horses mouth.

If that's the case I owe him an apology

Bah don't worry about that sir, I hate everyone already :smilewink:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad