New lighting WAY TOO MUCH! - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 02:54 AM   #21
Eldur

Calibrating screens is useless if you don't take your Mk.I eyeballs into account. In my case (all IRL!), an overcast day is already very dark, dusk and dawn are literally pitch black and I can't even see stars in a clear sky at night. Car lights in the dark are like having stared right into the sun for a minute. I run DCS at 2.8 Gamma and it's still pretty dark to me. And I've yet to find out how to calibrate a Rift, let alone set BRT, CON and GAM for it. I guess it's not possible at all without hacks.

Night flying in DCS 2.5 up until 2.5.6 literally is just a fluid black screen for me unless some lights inside the cockpit are on...
Old 02-17-2020, 01:40 PM   #22
wilbur81

Default Post your 2.5.6 screens here

Hey, Fellas.

If you have more time on your hands than me, a favor:

Start posting screenshots here of the Persian Gulf and Caucasus maps during sunrise/dawn and sunset/dusk hours.

These hours have been the most beautiful lighting in DCS in my opinion for some time. After the move to 2.5.6, the lighting during these hours looks saturated, mis-colored, and unnatural to my eye, when before it was natural, subtle, and beautiful.

If you can post, please indicate your gamma setting for the screenshot.

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #23
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur81 View Post
I'm sure it's great at night, but SHEESH... in every other regime it is WAY too much. It appears that the old gamma setting made a '3' the new '1'. I loaded up a PG mission about 1 hr before sunset and everything in the hornet cockpit was crazy at 2.7 gamma...the AMCD map looked like a neutron star...and all the cockpit displays look totally over exposed. I had to slide gamma all the way back to 1, which gave everything a shadowy yellow/green hue and made the lighted objects look good but everything else WAY too dark. It just looks really bad. It's hard to explain, but everything looks more cartoonish somehow. I know it's day 1 of the new patch and these are merely first impressions on my part, and I know it is a WIP, but man, I wish they'd go back. Not a fan...

Again, I'm sure night time now looks 'neato' to people, but every other time of day...bleh.
I totally agree. Calibrate for daytime terrain and the cockpits are too dark to see anything at certain angles to the sun. Calibrate for the cockpits and the terrains are blown out!

The cartoony looks are poor as well. Still, this is the first stab at it, and I'm sure ED will refine it as time goes on.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · 2 x Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #24
wilbur81

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Calibrate for daytime terrain and the cockpits are too dark to see anything at certain angles to the sun. Calibrate for the cockpits and the terrains are blown out!

The cartoony looks are poor as well. Still, this is the first stab at it, and I'm sure ED will refine it as time goes on.
For sure. I'm just puzzled that ED isn't acknowledging this. It's perfectly legitimate for them to try new things, trial and error style. But when people are saying it looks fantastic... I'm just confused because it really seems like a step back in every way barring night light visibility. Am I noticing this more because I play on a 4K screen?

Imacken, what monitor and resolution do you play at? (or is it VR?)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #25
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur81 View Post
For sure. I'm just puzzled that ED isn't acknowledging this. It's perfectly legitimate for them to try new things, trial and error style. But when people are saying it looks fantastic... I'm just confused because it really seems like a step back in every way barring night light visibility. Am I noticing this more because I play on a 4K screen?

Imacken, what monitor and resolution do you play at? (or is it VR?)
Monitor and HMD are on my sig.

It is certainly worse in VR, but poor on 4K monitor as well.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · 2 x Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote