Best Monotor for Huey?

Fakum

Hi all, I just posted this over in the hardware section, but I also wanted to target the Huey Flyers, because that is primarily what I prefer to fly (along with Black Shark). You guys over here are much more tuned to the needs. Below is what I posted. Thanks for any feedback folks.

Hi all, I have been reading for days about monitors, my eyes and brain are bleeding! I am replacing my 980 ti Hybrid with a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid(my 980 crapped out :{ ). Anywho, in the process, I realized that my current 30" monitor (2500 x 1600 60 Hz) only has Dual DVI input. Wont mate with new GPU without a passive adapter. I dont want that! So I am looking to upgrade to 34" to 38" Curved. I DO NOT want a 1440 vertical resolution monitor. I like the height of my current 30", and do not want to reduce it down. That kind of limits my selection, and Im ok with that. So for days it seems that my best bet would be to stick with 60Hz for the sake of TrackIR (120Hz) and considering that I wont likely see steady frame rates of 60 FPS with everything set to high anyway. To add to this, I prefer to fly Helos in DCS as opposed to fast movers (occasional), so my need to spot air targets at a distance is not a primary concern. Smooth, crisp low level terrain is my primary focus. With that being said, I also have a store credit for BestBuy of about $800 - $1000 for a monitor, and the best i can find seems great, but it is a 60 Hz:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-38uc99-w-38-ips-led-ultrawide-hd-freesync-monitor-black-white/5672800.p?skuId=5672800

I am suffering from information overload, and am soliciting for feedback based on my specific needs. I am considering purchasing elsewhere for a better suited monitor for my needs if its within budget and it makes better sense? Thank you in advance.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Yes, the Rift -S is on my list in the next couple of months, and I appreciate your suggestion. One of the things I am considering is the potential that I will NOT be using VR all of the time. So I want that option to fall back to the monitor, and enjoy the eye candy, especially if I wind up not adapting well to VR (Hope that is not the case). In the mean time, I am out of service for flying until I get my GPU replaced, which means I need that monitor ASAP. I had my mind set to keep using my current 30" (2500 x 1600 60Hz) until I started reading about some issues with the occasional flickering etc by using that Active Adapter I would need. I just didnt want to deal with any degradation and nuisances.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Thanks guys, but Im not trying to be sold on VR, I already am. Im looking for input on monitors for Helo flight please, thanks.

Might want to make a list.

VR is king for Huey, which is why that's the responses you're getting. Hell, Im using it too. The "heli pilot-specific monitor response" you're looking for doesn't really exist.

But some notes.

- DVI and HDMI are the same signal, so "not wanting an adapter" makes no sense.

- Screens are usually either high res or high framerate, so you're gonna have a hard time finding both.

- Beyond 1440 res is borderline superfluous for a monitor of that size, which is why it's rare. I doubt it's even noticeable to go from 1440 and 1600. Whats even rarer is a 1600+ res on a curved monitor of that size.

Since your criteria has already eliminated all options on best buy and I dont live in the US I can't be of much help. Good luck.

Thanks for the response. Just to be clear, Im not looking for a monitor specifically for the Huey, Im looking for advice from people who fly helicopters and use a monitor. Im guessing there is more than 1? Im just trying to get their life lessons feedback.

Regarding the adapter, My position makes sense to me if im not wanting to have to deal with occasional interruption, potential lag etc. The active adapter (for about $130) I would need to convert Display port to dual DVI for a 2560 x 1600 resolution is highly subject to fault. Im sorry that does not make sense to you.

Regarding my criteria eliminating all options at Best Buy ,Im not certain that I have? The one I attached for comment, was simply that, attached for comment/feedback. Maybe that would be great? Maybe that would be horrible? I dont know, thats why Im asking for opinions from those who likely know.

If no one has an opinion on here, thats fine, at least I asked.

If your using a monitor you will be needing trackir or multiple monitors or both as I went to vr as I got into dcs and never ran it on multiple monitors. I know some people do. I did buy a large curved monitor for my pit since I needed something and in reality I only plan on using it in dcs when I’m testing something out and if it works I’ll restart and go in to vr if the restart is needed. Good luck one thing I didn’t do in the curved that might have been nice was get a touch screen but I have a new 24/27” touch screen in storage if I decide to run multiple monitors and need on for the switch inputs

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

Something like that? It fits the bill in every regard except it's still 1440 vertical res. I legit can't find *any* wide curved monitor with more than that.

Peripheral vision is king, I used to fly with 3x surround monitors (and even at some point 5x one in portrait mode) before VR was a thing, but I don't think you'd like having bezels and some distortion. If it was me I'd go back to 60hz (120 feels more like a Counter-Strike millisecond money drain) and instead sit closer to a 4K display of a good size - or the dream, 3x4k surround, but that's insanely demanding.

Edited by Sephyrius

@BlacleyCole: I am still using TrackIR and a touchscreen (as per my spec signature). I have been shying away from the touchscreen, primarily due to the maintanace and time needed to keep it going when updates, etc break it.

@Sephyrius: The 38" monitor that i posted a link to is about the widest I could possibly go (I think?) in the work space that I have. The nice thing about that monitor is that I dont loose any height (by going from a 1600 to a 1440) and it is a 60 hz monitor. I did not see the specs in that link you provided. I will have to look for those later and compare. I have no idea what the response time and quality is over the one I am looking at. Thanks for the tip though.

@Sephyrius: The 38" monitor that i posted a link to is about the widest I could possibly go (I think?) in the work space that I have. The nice thing about that monitor is that I dont loose any height (by going from a 1600 to a 1440) and it is a 60 hz monitor. I did not see the specs in that link you provided. I will have to look for those later and compare. I have no idea what the response time and quality is over the one I am looking at. Thanks for the tip though.

If 38'' is the widest you can go and you really want a 1600, then this one has all that you need.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

But frankly, at this point we're in "money's no object" territory, it's probably in the ballpark of twice your GPU price.

I just checked out that monitor Sephyrius,

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

its enticing to say the least. The only thing that I did not like is the feedback that I am reading about it, and that is that you should NOT get this unless you have an AMD card as running without Freesync you will likely see tearing? Yuk,,,,not even sure that same advice should be applied to the monitor I was looking at, at Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-38uc...?skuId=5672800

Im running out of time here now as I am expecting to pull the trigger on something tomorrow (in hopes on a good Cyber Monday catch?)

Edited by Fakum

Sorry Sephyrius, I just saw your 2nd monitor suggestion after I responded,,, yeah,, ,thats too pricey, but thanks. now im starting to have to look into this G-Sync matter I was not aware of, and if that needs to be a major consideration?

Sorry Sephyrius, I just saw your 2nd monitor suggestion after I responded,,, yeah,, ,thats too pricey, but thanks. now im starting to have to look into this G-Sync matter I was not aware of, and if that needs to be a major consideration?

A cursory web search makes it sound like Nvidia finally built in support for Freesync at the beginning of this year and that it seems to work fine. Might want to see if those reviews you read were before 2019 or not.

And yup, if you want all the goodies it's pricey. But hey, it has G-Sync too ;)

LOL,,, so I just convinced my wife that I would cash out my vacation time to supplement the additional costs to get the 38" LG Monitor. That thing is just the balls!!!!

I just found out that it is not yet available for purchase, MAYBE it will be available in December? Soooooo,,, moving along here. Again, now I have to reseaech to find out how imperative it is to get a G-Sync Monitor to mate with the 2080 Ti.

A cursory web search makes it sound like Nvidia finally built in support for Freesync at the beginning of this year and that it seems to work fine. Might want to see if those reviews you read were before 2019 or not.

And yup, if you want all the goodies it's pricey. But hey, it has G-Sync too ;)

Seems we posted again at the same time. Yeah, I read that at the NVidia site, and it led me to a chart, which led me to that 38"LG (not yet available). I must have missed another compatibility chart?

LOL,,, this is getting out of hand (Read the fine print), so that monitor at BestBuy that I am considering

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-38uc99-w-38-ips-led-ultrawide-hd-freesync-monitor-black-white/5672800.p?skuId=5672800

will NOT work apparently. Although the new Nvidia drivers make a stab at suppoerrting Freesync, there are some stipulations, and that monitor does not have Display Port 1.4 (its 1.2).

Per the Article

"If the Freesync monitor is not marked as Gsync compatible by Nvidia, you would still be able to enable the Gsync feature manually through the Nvidia control panel, however, there is the risk of experiencing stuttering or screen tearing.

There are also other caveats as well. First and foremost, although HDMI and Displayport are supported, only the HDMI 2.1 standard and Displayport 1.4a are supported. Thus, you will have to have at minimum a monitor and cables which support these standards as a minimum."

Per Article : https://io.mt/nvidia-gsync-freesync-supported-monitors/

I'm going backwards here,,, what the heck!

Whynotweight until the Samsung monitor is released if that is the one you want

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

You are buying a graphics card designed for 4K and beyond at 120hz plus but you want to bottleneck it with a 60hz monitor? I don’t get it.

As explained above, my GPU died, I have a store credit at BestBuy, I might as well get the best GPU they have to offer. Also explained above, I have an interest in VR, in which, as I have explained, even if it works out for me, I would NOT be able to use it all of the time, so I would need to use a monitor from time to time. I would need the horsepower of that GPU to run VR pleasantly. I dont necessarily need all of the horsepower to run on a monitor, but it would sure help facilitate adjusting the settings to max, even at 60Hz. The 60hz factor comes into play with the use of TrackIR. Yeah, I would love to run DCS at 144hz, but in reality, no one is getting solid 144hz or 120hz for that matter. Research has indicated that if you are using TrackIR, due to its refresh rates (of 120Hz) and DCS will not currently run at a rock solid 120, the advise is that your best off locking everything at Max 60 hz for smooth gameplay. Make sense now?

Whynotweight until the Samsung monitor is released if that is the one you want

I certainly could wait, but right now, Im dead in the water. There is no release date set for that monitor,,,, could be next spring for all I know. There was a comment that it might be released this December,,, but that is a might!

Also, I believe your referring to the LG correct? Not a Samsung?

Edited by Fakum

As explained above, my GPU died, I have a store credit at BestBuy, I might as well get the best GPU they have to offer. Also explained above, I have an interest in VR, in which, as I have explained, even if it works out for me, I would NOT be able to use it all of the time, so I would need to use a monitor from time to time. I would need the horsepower of that GPU to run VR pleasantly. I dont necessarily need all of the horsepower to run on a monitor, but it would sure help facilitate adjusting the settings to max, even at 60Hz. The 60hz factor comes into play with the use of TrackIR. Yeah, I would love to run DCS at 144hz, but in reality, no one is getting solid 144hz or 120hz for that matter. Research has indicated that if you are using TrackIR, due to its refresh rates (of 120Hz) and DCS will not currently run at a rock solid 120, the advise is that your best off locking everything at Max 60 hz for smooth gameplay. Make sense now?

No. I use track IR. My max FPS is usually topped out at 90 with spikes up higher when flying at high altitude. I’ve never experienced anything weird from my track IR past 60fps. I certainly think you should get the card you are getting; no doubt. I’m building a rig in the next year and that’s the exact card that’s on my list. What I’m still not getting is spending that much money on a 60hz monitor. You can get a much better monitor, made for gaming, that has much more gaming features, over clocking on the monitor, better response times, much brighter nit rating, etc. for the same price. Put it on a arm mount if the screen doesn’t fill your field of view and pull it closer to you. That’s what I did. I have a 32” that I pull closer to me so that the monitor fills my whole fov. I’m just saying the 1600’vert. Resolution you are limiting yourself to really doesn’t make a lot a sense compared to other options out there.

I was simply trying to avoid the microstutters associate with TrackIR by locking at 60, so i did not see any point to go with 75, 120, 144 etc. I am keeping an open mind though. Im curious as to what monitor is much better for gaming and costs about the same as the 38 inch from BestBuy that I have my eye on? Thanks

I was simply trying to avoid the microstutters associate with TrackIR by locking at 60, so i did not see any point to go with 75, 120, 144 etc. I am keeping an open mind though. Im curious as to what monitor is much better for gaming and costs about the same as the 38 inch from BestBuy that I have my eye on? Thanks

Basically any gaming monitor you get will be better than the non gaming monitor you posted from Best Buy. If you want to avoid stuttering and have smooth game play then you have to go to 120 or 144. Folks may think they have smooth gameplay on 60hz until they play on a high refresh rate monitor. The difference is night and day. I have heard of micro stuttering with track iR but I have never experienced it. There are other factors to question with that. Like were they running the newest generation track Ir? Did they have it plugged into a USB 3.0? Did they have hardware capable of pushing the frame rates the monitor was capable of? Etc. Etc.

Look at AOC gaming monitors. Look at the HP gaming monitors. You want 120hz min. Honestly with the hardware available its hard to tell the difference between 120 and 144. Look for Gsync. Capable, look for high nit rating. Look for low input lag (less than 5ms). Look for monitor controls like boost or Over clocking on the monitor.

Stay away from 60hz. Stay away from any monitor that is advertised for work stations. The expensive work station monitors are made for graphic designers and professional use of photo shop and similar software where true color and fidelity are most important over performance. Made for different things than gaming.

Good advise, I am shifting now towards 120 Hz+. I have NEVER experienced any gameplay myself over 60 Hz, and I developed this 60 Hz mentality based on hours of reading thru threads revolving around DCS and Refresh rates, not just here but on Reddit also. Its kind of a mixed bag of theory. Ok,,, back to the drawing board, seems I have time, I did NOT see any great deals for Cyber Monday at all today anyway.