Why does the Hornet have the ability to change the Laser code in-flight?

Vitormouraa

Question is pretty straight forward; why is the Hornet able to change the Laser code of the LGBs (Specifically GBU-12s and GBU-24s/PW2/3) in-flight if that's supposed to be changed on the ground only? Other modules like the DCS: F-5E and DCS: F-14 have this implemented correctly.

See, the PW2 and PW3 bombs are supposed to have their laser codes changed on the ground only and with a flat screwdriver, this isn't possible by means of software or anything. So why is that?

Please let's keep the thread as clean as possible.

Thanks.

GBU54 laser codes can be changed airborne, although they are not coming to DCS.

Just as important, it gives the ability to lase anyone elses weapon onto a target. Not only a wingmans but any other laser guided weapon dropped by other platforms as well. ie. offboard lasing

Edit: apologies, misread the question. Thought you were asking why we can change laser designator codes inflight (when the TGP arrives), not the actual weapon seeker. As stated, this can't be changed airborne IRL...except on -54's

Edited by Anonymous User

GBU54 laser codes can be changed airborne, although they are not coming to DCS.

Just as important, it gives the ability to lase anyone elses weapon onto a target. Not only a wingmans but any other laser guided weapon dropped by other platforms as well. ie. offboard lasing

We don't have the 54, Vito is only talking about the paveway2 and paveway3 bombs we have in the DCS Hornet module, which should not be able to do it.

To make Gameplay better, Probably for on the fly deconfliction with other people using the same laser code when in multiplayer. It doesn’t bother me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

To make Gameplay better, Probably for on the fly deconfliction with other people using the same laser code when in multiplayer. It doesn’t bother me.

I thought about that too but isn't this a sim where the learning curve is really steep? The full fidelity sims and "better gameplay options" shouldn't be used in the same phrase, I guess?

I don't really understand why the sim tries to make the gameplay better in one aspect by simplifying the process and in other areas, it tries to be as realistic as possible. I was just trying to understand the logic behind it, A-10C has this feature as well. But why don't you simplify other aspects of the sim as well then?

I thought about that too but isn't this a sim where the learning curve is really steep? The full fidelity sims and "better gameplay options" shouldn't be used in the same phrase, I guess?

I don't really understand why the sim tries to make the gameplay better in one aspect by simplifying the process and in other areas, it tries to be as realistic as possible. I was just trying to understand the logic behind it, A-10C has this feature as well. But why don't you simplify other aspects of the sim as well then?

I have no idea honestly. That was just my guess as the reason behind it. Would I like to see it done more “realisticly” - sure, But there are about a million other things that bug me about DCS which i’d Like to see fixed before I’m going to get bunched about how you can set the laser code of your bombs in the cockpit. People being able to trap the Hornet at over 200knots and not rip the hook off it for starters.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I’d be ok if this was a special options setting for the a10 and hornet, I think that would be the ideal way to handle things. That said, I don’t mind things as they are for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

We sacrificed some rigor for gameplay. Maybe laser coding, which can be changed at will, will give us more freedom? AGM65F, for example, still has no dust shield and time limit, and high G-force still does not damage the rack.

We sacrificed some rigor for gameplay. Maybe laser coding, which can be changed at will, will give us more freedom? AGM65F, for example, still has no dust shield and time limit, and high G-force still does not damage the rack.

How about placing laser code selector from 12 different in the seat selection and in the rearm window?

This way when one spawn new aircraft the code can be chosen quickly and when rearming it can be chosen as well...

It could be a virtual pilot setting too, so by default it is semi-unique as player sets it in pilot settings, and then can change it later via those two methods too...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

We don’t have screw drivers in game. This game is old and still uses some of the older Game me hanicsThey would have to change it for multiple AC as the A-10 also suffers from this problem. Plus in Single player the JTAC gives you his code, I can’t give him mine. He can’t change his laser code like they would do IRL. So they made a compromise. Be as realistic as you can within the game mechanics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We don’t have screw drivers in game. This game is old and still uses some of the older Game me hanicsThey would have to change it for multiple AC as the A-10 also suffers from this problem. Plus in Single player the JTAC gives you his code, I can’t give him mine. He can’t change his laser code like they would do IRL. So they made a compromise. Be as realistic as you can within the game mechanics.

Nice comment Amy. That makes more sense now.

Thank you all for your replies.

Because these aspects don't affect Multiplayer or airstart missions in campaigns, for example. Other aspects of the Sim can be changed to "game mode" at the players discretion, since DCS Black Shark.

The consistency bothers me as well, but in the F-5E for example there is no system coded that could even semirealistic be used to input the Laser codes... I would have no problems with an option to deconflict LGBs in a simulation like DCS, especially in multiplayer, after 40 min plus, when we find our GBUs flying in circles, misguided through a half dozen 1688 Laserbeams...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Great question Vitomouraa! This is somethign that is bothering me as well for quite a while now.

I really don'tunderstand why ED is approachign this problem by adding fictional functions (ability to change LGB-code in the cockpit) instead of creating realistic solutions (add LGB-code selection to the rearming panel and make the JTAC adjust his code if needed). I would have thought a simulation like DCS would shoot for the realistic approach... :(

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

So I am assuming the UFC interface and DDI page that are used for laser code entry are there for other laser weapon codes.

I think the aircraft setting features spoken about by Wags should address this or more realistically adding it to the rearm crews option page to get this done before taking off. Command or whoever is responsible in this case should communicate the JTAC guys about the set laser code for the mission.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

So I am assuming the UFC interface and DDI page that are used for laser code entry are there for other laser weapon codes.

I think the aircraft setting features spoken about by Wags should address this or more realistically adding it to the rearm crews option page to get this done before taking off. Command or whoever is responsible in this case should communicate the JTAC guys about the set laser code for the mission.

Great question Vitomouraa! This is somethign that is bothering me as well for quite a while now.

I really don'tunderstand why ED is approachign this problem by adding fictional functions (ability to change LGB-code in the cockpit) instead of creating realistic solutions (add LGB-code selection to the rearming panel and make the JTAC adjust his code if needed). I would have thought a simulation like DCS would shoot for the realistic approach... :(

Can't agree more with you guys!

Realistic laser codes sure, while we are at it lets add realistic weapon load times too, including waiting on AMMO. Also arming at EOR, and of course the hang fires as well.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Question is pretty straight forward; why is the Hornet able to change the Laser code of the LGBs (Specifically GBU-12s and GBU-24s/PW2/3) in-flight if that's supposed to be changed on the ground only? Other modules like the DCS: F-5E and DCS: F-14 have this implemented correctly.

See, the PW2 and PW3 bombs are supposed to have their laser codes changed on the ground only and with a flat screwdriver, this isn't possible by means of software or anything. So why is that?

Please let's keep the thread as clean as possible.

Thanks.

I think it's changing the laser code pulse transmittion from the aircraft only, not the bomb code which is pre-set? The bomb code does not change but the pilot can change the laser pulse code to match the bomb code on board of another aircraft for buddy lasing?

It's not a preference. It's data entry just like the A-10.

AFAIK, it's unrealistic in the A-10C as well...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I read @Catseye post at #20 and it seems to explain what is actually happening with the code change in the cockpit.

It is the laser pulse code that being altered and not the bomb code according to the post. That would make sense if real life info on how this is done is out there in public domain and matches this explanation.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Sometimes gameplay has to trump realism. It's a balance that I think ED does well.

Sometimes, yes, but I really don't see why this would be the case here? :huh:

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg