Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

excited! got an email saying my order is getting processed!!

What was your order number Hannibal? I've been reading that the new expected date was pushed way out and then shipping earlier to make people feel loved.

I ordered on 20th Jan and expected shipping is July 20th - 28th. I've contemplated ordering a VIVE as well but am holding off.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

im in the 613000032XXXXX group..

forget vive.. cv1 is the way to go.

Woohoo - only 1.2 million units to go until mine is shipped :)

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Got my Rift today...Just flew a 6-ship high show. VERY cool. :D

Do we know what the optimal settings are re resolution, AA etc to get the best image out of this? Tried a bunch of things and it's getting there...but If there's better to be had I'd like to see it.

T

• Like 1

"Tank! I need a program for a TM Warthog!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

Once you figure out your best IPD I found that there is a very good sweet spot when you position it correctly on your head.

Teej what were your first impressions seeing the others up close (F-16?). My first join up on a Hornet I was like "That is a big fighter!".

50107372.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thermaltake V9 SECC case | Corsair RM750 PSU | Asus ROG Ranger VIII | Intel i7 6700K | 16GB 3000mhz RAM |

EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW | TrackIR 4 w/ pro clip | TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | Win 10 x64 |

Speaking of rez, how do you change the rift rez in the game or is it set automatically? It shows the surround rez in the game settings of 5760x1080 because that's what I run in surround. I thought it would show 2160x1200 in game but it doesn't.

The immersion looks amazing but man it makes me nauseous. I def need to work on some VR legs. The sense of height, speed etc is incredible. I never knew the Huey sat so high off the ground even in 3D surround it doesn't really portray that sense of size inside the cockpit and depth that the rift shows. I basically have to learn how to fly these things again because it's so different in the rift - 10 minutes at a time because any more than that and it's queasyville...

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Also one of the things that's happening to me is that when OH is running and I am surround on my desktop, any time I try to change the rez of my desktop or the rez of a non-VR game my PC instantly goes black and reboots. If I disable surround then no problems. I have to make sure I change all resolutions before OH is launched if I know I will need to do that otherwise it reboots. OH and nvidia surround are definitely NOT playing well together. I will test this behavior on my 6700K machine because the 4790K machine does not like OH and resolution changes when running surround.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Speaking of rez, how do you change the rift rez in the game or is it set automatically? It shows the surround rez in the game settings of 5760x1080 because that's what I run in surround. I thought it would show 2160x1200 in game but it doesn't.

The immersion looks amazing but man it makes me nauseous. I def need to work on some VR legs. The sense of height, speed etc is incredible. I never knew the Huey sat so high off the ground even in 3D surround it doesn't really portray that sense of size inside the cockpit and depth that the rift shows. I basically have to learn how to fly these things again because it's so different in the rift - 10 minutes at a time because any more than that and it's queasyville...

Resolution is hardcoded, Preview Window will be 640x768

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Also one of the things that's happening to me is that when OH is running and I am surround on my desktop, any time I try to change the rez of my desktop or the rez of a non-VR game my PC instantly goes black and reboots. If I disable surround then no problems. I have to make sure I change all resolutions before OH is launched if I know I will need to do that otherwise it reboots. OH and nvidia surround are definitely NOT playing well together. I will test this behavior on my 6700K machine because the 4790K machine does not like OH and resolution changes when running surround.

It doesnt play well with Eyefinity Either.

GPU's have a Max Total res they can output, though I've Run 6 Screens easily from my Lightnings,

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Completely unreal. Just strapped the Rift on, I can't believe how convincing this is! ED, you've outdone yourselves with the integration in DCS. Flawless and simple right out of the gate, for me. With moderately low settings (can't really tell a big difference, and that's not a problem) I can fly down the strip at Vegas with beautiful, smooth visuals. Only complaint? Mirage cockpit is pretty small, and the labels on the switches and gauges are pretty much unreadable. Wouldn't be an issue if I knew the aircraft.

Absolutely gobsmacked. This is the future.

• Like 1

Considering 3 of the 5 Bounty Hunters just bought Oculus Rifts today I'd have to say you are correct. :thumbsup:

Sage

Yes in one crazy day of best buy trips lol...

I will say as a very quick snapshot of a review. I've been playing DCS on a 50" 4K monitor. I'm kind of a resolution geek and a home theater buff. The experience is flat out amazing! Sitting inside the Hornet I kept wanting to rest my arms on the canopy rails that aren't there lol.

I flew a mission with a friend and we had to fight our way in against a 5 ship of Mig 21s. I was able to see the other aircraft at roughly 8nm of range. The situational awareness was awesome. I bagged 3 of the Migs before proceeding on to the first target. Dog fighting in VR was unbelievable. We coming over the top inverted I got a little queazy feeling and loved every second cause it was so immersive. At the target a Manpad site opened up on me. I dodged 3 missiles one of which was crazy close and I'm very convinced there is no way with my standard setup I ever would've been able to make it miss or recognized the course of the missile like it did. My buddy flying my wing swears that third missile went between my vertical stabilizers. I was able to roll in and take out the site.

I flew 4 carrier traps which all went great so it felt awesome and quite natural..didn't have chance to really do any formation flying or aerial refueling but plan to try that today.

So with all that said I'm very impressed with the tech. I'm still a bit torn as I love 4K and the resolution I get with it. If I hadn't ever used 4K there wouldn't be any hesitation at all. Buy it now and don't hesitate. I will say when we get 4K VR in a couple of years it will be flight sim perfection. Especially if we get VR gloves to go along with it. Still making up my mind but very very very impressed and blown away with the feeling which is second to none. I actually felt a level of exhaustion(in a good way) after flying that mission. Sounds crazy right?!

Edited by Greekbull

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

You guys are making it really hard to choose thats for sure, the excitement on both sides are great but the Rift is inches ahead. Cancelled my Vive for now and with Rift order due to ship in August . I got some time figure out things out. And while extremely hard im tempted to wait for a touch bundle and hold my comp upgrade for AMD Zen and Vega. If i can manage the wait is another matter!

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I was a staunch three screen supporter for years...then came my DK2 and who cares about three screens!

Anyhow, here's some formation practice I did with an AI F-16. I almost stuck up my hand to do a thumbup so the shadow would appear in the photo...then I remembered...not a photo...not my hand :P

NB: The screenie really doesn't convey the sense of proportion and dimension at all. The plane was REALLY close!

DCS 2016-05-20 14-30-30-57.bmp

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

10 minutes at a time because any more than that and it's queasyville...

I got through my team flight... Just under an hour inside the rift. Had a low grade headache pop up in the final 5 minutes but nothing serious.

Certain things sometimes throw my equilibrium off for a second but again nothing serious. I'm happy.

Sure made the post-flight beer taste good. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was a staunch three screen supporter for years...then came my DK2 and who cares about three screens!

Anyhow, here's some formation practice I did with an AI F-16. I almost stuck up my hand to do a thumbup so the shadow would appear in the photo...then I remembered...not a photo...not my hand :P

NB: The screenie really doesn't convey the sense of proportion and dimension at all. The plane was REALLY close!

Try to describe to us ordinary mortals who still can just dream about VR.

I have some questions about especially to someone who was flaying triple screen too.

I'm guessing this is because of 3D not just because better screen.

Triple screen is completely different approach to ingame immersion. Triple screen benefit from high angle FOV, sharp and crisp picture where you can easy spot enemies or read instruments but not that immersive like VR because you are still in your room completely aware you are looking in to a VR world true "windows" no matter how big they are.

VR in other hands plays on 3D, immersion what affects on picture quality and low FOV tunnel vision but that immersion is still better no matter if its look like when you watch true scuba diving mask. Part of this blurriness guilt is going to screen door effect because it is not fixed true screen with significant increasing PPI walue but true some filters as well which make picture little blurrier but virtually eliminates screen door grills. Todays best 4K screens have around 800PPI and we will need around 1600PPI to eliminate it with better hardware match monitors with 1080p.

Tell me m8, you experience it both so how you will evaluate this facts and differences between this two concept strictly true DCS World not true other games or VR demos which are not representing out true need in DCS?

Thanks m8.

I had tried flying with triple screens but could never get comfortable for formation work with it. Used the triples for racing a lot.

I've summarized my initial experiences here (I've had it a very short time - only ~ 3 hours of use at the time I wrote this...

http://forum.virtualthunderbirds.com/viewtopic.php?p=35802

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No amount of screens will accomplish the sense of presence that a VR HMD will give.

The difference is that VR crosses the psychological bridge where instead of watching the world act on your character and it act on the world, you are present in the game where you act upon the world and the world acts upon you.

I've not been able to describe it better than this.

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

For VR I Actually dis-mounted my MFDs from Screen, and Velcro them to my legs now. :)

Easier to Reach and feel the buttons.

• Like 1

Well mine was supposed to come May 26th-June 6th and it came Tuesday. You might get it early. Thanks for the heads up on that sdk trick. I'll have to try that if I get some time this weekend.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

I got through my team flight... Just under an hour inside the rift. Had a low grade headache pop up in the final 5 minutes but nothing serious.

Certain things sometimes throw my equilibrium off for a second but again nothing serious. I'm happy.

Sure made the post-flight beer taste good. ;)

i hope to join you for a flight!!

my rift is shipping should be on my door on wed.

but i still have a few weeks before im ready, the GTX 1080 is the final piece of the puzzle.

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179