Do you need to trim to 11 degrees AOA for landing

SmoglessPanic

From what I understood from the early Wags F-16 videos it's not like the Hornet, you don't need to trim but use the stick to get to 11 degrees AOA.

I just played the VFR landing mission and I was instructed to hit nose trim up two to three times.

I am now confused, I learned how to do it without trimming (not that I get it right all the time) but now I am not sure which way is the correct way.

Edited by SmoglessPanic

No Trim for the F-16.

use your Stick to put your nose up as you need use the Throttle to move the FPM to the position it needs to be.

If you are stabilized you should be able to take your hand away from the stick and just do minor corrections with the Throttle. Well without wind that is and you really should take your Hands back when you are close to touchdown ;)

no trim...gear down, brakes out. Your AOA will happen with correct throttle control.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I suggest trimming for the steady state approach conditions be that 11 or 13 AOA. The pure attitude-based FLCS laws start to get blended past something like 9 or 10 AOA so you do need trim for 11 or 13 AOA approach but not a lot.

In general in aviation you want to trim for state state conditions and not transient ones. You can of course hold any input manually with neutral or any other trim. There's no right or wrong way but I do recommend trimming for stable approach. You should be in the approach AOA conditions for a significant period of time and being trimmed for it will improve the quality of your approaches.

I suggest trimming for the steady state approach conditions be that 11 or 13 AOA. The pure attitude-based FLCS laws start to get blended past something like 9 or 10 AOA so you do need trim for 11 or 13 AOA approach but not a lot.

+1

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

In general in aviation you want to trim for state state conditions and not transient ones. You can of course hold any input manually with neutral or any other trim. There's no right or wrong way but I do recommend trimming for stable approach. You should be in the approach AOA conditions for a significant period of time and being trimmed for it will improve the quality of your approaches.

I’d agree for most other aircraft except the F-16.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 3 months later...

Perhaps because you are not moving the stick position with trim in the F-16, afaik, but in other fighters stick trims will physically reposition the stick to hold a position - so you don't have to hold it in that position.