Which CPU and Motherboard to run DCS really well?

Hey folks,

I've recently built a system out of my laptop with an eGPU which is an RTX 2080 Super. I'm suffering really terrible performance in missions and think my CPU is just not good enough. it's an i7 7700HQ. I think AI units in missions just kill it.

I'm a bit sick and tired of constantly trying to get DCS to work with what I have. So I think I will build a tower PC using my 2080 Super and the Evo 970 2TB SSD that I have in my current laptop build.

Could you guys recommend a powerful CPU and which motherboard to get? I would like to avoid overclocking the CPU as I don't trust myself with this kind of stuff and am not the most computer literate person in the world. I would like to have the option of adding VR further down the line so need to make sure bandwith is not an issue. Obviously I'd like to not spend more than what is needed to run DCS really well but at the same time I've no interest in cheaping out again to save a few quid and then realise I can't run shaddows on more than "low" or have some other compromise. I just want it to run smoothly with near enough everything tuned up and have missions run smoothly also.

I'm running a 38" 4k screen if it makes any difference.

Many thanks!

Laptop components are designed to run on batteries and generally don't have good cooling so you probably won't be getting as good performance as the same desktop versions. I'm pretty sure Intel is still the best for DCS as they have the highest single core speeds, but lots of people seem to have some of the AMD Ryzen chips and there probably is not much in it now. If you use you PC for other processing tasks outside of DCS, then ryzen would be better. Really everything depends on how much money you want to spend. Its worth noting that there is due to be new releases very soon from both AMD and Intel so all pricing is due to change all the way down the tiers.

I'm very happy with the performance of my i9 9900 and Z390 mobo. Like you I did not want to waste a weekend/week messing around with overclocking so I spent more money on the KS version and it ran 5ghz straight out the box. My gigabyte mobo is very good for 5ghz+ chips and I got it to 5.1 by selecting gaming mode in the BIOs settings. I have good cooling so it runs 5.1 all the time!

More cores is a waste for DCS it will only use one. I have better performance on mine with hyperthreading off. 8 cores plenty for me. I run VR on very high settings, its great!

You are probably also experiencing throttling/cooling issues with an eGPU over a normal desktop GPU. Gaming components have massive coolers and fans for good reason.

Edited by Hoirtel

Laptop components are designed to run on batteries and generally don't have good cooling so you probably won't be getting as good performance as the same desktop versions. I'm pretty sure Intel is still the best for DCS as they have the highest single core speeds, but lots of people seem to have some of the AMD Ryzen chips and there probably is not much in it now. If you use you PC for other processing tasks outside of DCS, then ryzen would be better. Really everything depends on how much money you want to spend. Its worth noting that there is due to be new releases very soon from both AMD and Intel so all pricing is due to change all the way down the tiers.

I'm very happy with the performance of my i9 9900 and Z390 mobo. Like you I did not want to waste a weekend/week messing around with overclocking so I spent more money on the KS version and it ran 5ghz straight out the box. My gigabyte mobo is very good for 5ghz+ chips and I got it to 5.1 by selecting gaming mode in the BIOs settings. I have good cooling so it runs 5.1 all the time!

More cores is a waste for DCS it will only use one. I have better performance on mine with hyperthreading off. 8 cores plenty for me. I run VR on very high settings, its great!

You are probably also experiencing throttling/cooling issues with an eGPU over a normal desktop GPU. Gaming components have massive coolers and fans for good reason.

Ah cheers. Yeah your sort of set up is exactly what I need.

The cooling iand throttling n my system is not an issue to be fair. I've god a cooler pad with 3 extra fans under the laptop nd the eGPU case has it's own powerful cooling and PSU so that is definitely not the issue. I've undervolted the CPU with the help of a friend so basically throttling doesn't happen and it runs pretty cool. I think my CPU however is just not good enough.

I shall look into the 9900KS and Z390 mobo :thumbup: Which PSU do you recommend?

Edited by CommandT

Right now, DCS really isn't well optimised. It's primarily single core on the CPU and is still to have Vulkan implemented. So new hardware really isn't going to make a massive difference if you already have a decent PC.

If you believe that the AI is the issue (which it will in complex missions), the good news is that there is a way to help that might cost you absolutely NOTHING.

In short, if you host your mission using the DCS dedicated server, it can run on the same PC, but can use one of your spare cores. My experience to date is that the server requires typically no more than 5GB of RAM, and a reasonably well clocked CPU, which your existing CPU can do.

Do that, and you offload a LOT of calculations from your "game" instance, and onto the server. i.e. you push work into the other CPU. It can be done using a separate PC, or simply by hosting on the same PC (if you have enough RAM).

I'm amazed that more people are not already doing this.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Right now, DCS really isn't well optimised. It's primarily single core on the CPU and is still to have Vulkan implemented. So new hardware really isn't going to make a massive difference if you already have a decent PC.

If you believe that the AI is the issue (which it will in complex missions), the good news is that there is a way to help that might cost you absolutely NOTHING.

In short, if you host your mission using the DCS dedicated server, it can run on the same PC, but can use one of your spare cores. My experience to date is that the server requires typically no more than 5GB of RAM, and a reasonably well clocked CPU, which your existing CPU can do.

Do that, and you offload a LOT of calculations from your "game" instance, and onto the server. i.e. you push work into the other CPU. It can be done using a separate PC, or simply by hosting on the same PC (if you have enough RAM).

I haven't even tried MP tbh. For me it's mainly SP so this doesn't really solve any prblem for me.

I'm thinking of getting the following components. Could someone have a quick look and say if they approve or not?

Processor - i9 10900K: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-Base-Clock/dp/B0883NZC43/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=10900k&qid=1589807470&sr=8-7

Case - Cooler Master MasterCase H500P: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Computer-MCM-H500P-WGNN-S00/dp/B078XPZ8ZY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=coolermaster+case+high+flow&qid=1589810361&sr=8-1

PSU - Corsaid HX750i: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-Modular-Digital-Platinum-Certified/dp/B00M2UINC8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+hx750&qid=1589809990&sr=8-7

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15-Premium-Cooler-NF-A15/dp/B00L7UZMAK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=noctua+dh15&qid=1589809895&sr=8-1

RAM - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballistix-BLS2K16G4D30BESB-PC4-24000-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B07HPBV5RT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3P9LQUCYLS1AJ&dchild=1&keywords=32gb+ballistix+ddr4&qid=1589809758&sprefix=32GB+bal%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-1

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Z390-F-LGA1151-Gigabit-Motherboard/dp/B07HS7C8B8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=asus+z490&qid=1589807930&sr=8-3

The above would be using my existing RTX 2080 Super + Samsung EVO 970 m.2 2TB SSD

I haven't even tried MP tbh. For me it's mainly SP so this doesn't really solve any prblem for me.

I'm thinking of getting the following components. Could someone have a quick look and say if they approve or not?

Processor - i9 10900K: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Core-i9-10900K-Base-Clock/dp/B0883NZC43/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=10900k&qid=1589807470&sr=8-7

Case - Cooler Master MasterCase H500P: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Computer-MCM-H500P-WGNN-S00/dp/B078XPZ8ZY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=coolermaster+case+high+flow&qid=1589810361&sr=8-1

PSU - Corsaid HX750i: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORSAIR-Modular-Digital-Platinum-Certified/dp/B00M2UINC8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=corsair+hx750&qid=1589809990&sr=8-7

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-NH-D15-Premium-Cooler-NF-A15/dp/B00L7UZMAK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=noctua+dh15&qid=1589809895&sr=8-1

RAM - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ballistix-BLS2K16G4D30BESB-PC4-24000-288-Pin-Memory/dp/B07HPBV5RT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3P9LQUCYLS1AJ&dchild=1&keywords=32gb+ballistix+ddr4&qid=1589809758&sprefix=32GB+bal%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-1

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Z390-F-LGA1151-Gigabit-Motherboard/dp/B07HS7C8B8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=asus+z490&qid=1589807930&sr=8-3

The above would be using my existing RTX 2080 Super + Samsung EVO 970 m.2 2TB SSD

No offence, but that's why you don't get my comment, because you haven't read it.

Yes, you end up hosting a server, but it does NOT mean that you have to actually play with other players. Host a server using YOUR missions, just for yourself. If you wish to avoid other players, put a password on it, or limit the server to just one player (i.e. yourself).

Of course if you'd rather NOT offload AI logic to another core, then please, spend your cash.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Thats quite interesting concept, not something I had considered before. As a SP VR user I wonder if this could make a big difference in playing large missons. If hosting on the same PC how is the GPU utilised? As I can get mine to 90 - 100% currently.

Worth noting that I think the multi core use of Vulkan is a bit of a myth. Its a graphics API and my experiences with Xplane (recently in Vulkan beta) show that I get improved FPS and much improved smoothness, but it still uses a single core to do so.

The new intel 10 series will require the new Z490 chipset mobo. Check the socket types it will be LGASomething. As these are yet to be launched its not really known just how much better they are going to be, their highest core speeds (5.3??) are based on a triple stage thermo linked turbo that has not been implemented before and may not be achievable for long enough periods to justify. You may be better adopting a cheaper 9th gen or one of the lower end 10th gens that are basically the same as current top 9th gens. That 10th gen looks very expensive for what it is to me.

I'm not sure is the i9 9900ks is still available as it was a "special edition", I don't regret getting mine but I wouldn't want to pay any more than I did for it over a regular i9

You could look around for prebulit mobo and cpu packages, which you then add the rest to. PC building is a bit of minefield when you first start looking to build but it does come together eventually and not too difficult once you get the general idea. I can recommend YouTube as a great resource for learning. Watch as many as you can, check reviews for everything you want to buy and you will see the common themes come out. Once 10th gen is out youtube will be pitting it against older versions and you may find that for DCS you could save lots of money and get the same performance.

Edited by Hoirtel

Thats quite interesting concept, not something I had considered before. As a SP VR user I wonder if this could make a big difference in playing large missons. If hosting on the same PC how is the GPU utilised? As I can get mine to 90 - 100% currently.

Worth noting that I think the multi core use of Vulkan is a bit of a myth. Its a graphics API and my experiences with Xplane (recently in Vulkan beta) show that I get improved FPS and much improved smoothness, but it still uses a single core to do so.

I've been doing this pretty much since the dedicated server was made available.

From a client side, it's very much like logging into a multi-player server, although the ping rate is unsurprisingly pretty awesome (typically under 5, when hosted on the PC next to me).

So yes, you'll need a decent amount of RAM on the client, as multi-player seems to typically use 5-6GB more. IMO, the graphics hog is basically unchanged for the client.

The "server" has NO GPU resource requirements, and I've been able to happily run complex missions with well over 100 moving vehicles (mostly on the ground) with even an old i5 2500 capable of running it.

The key point being that all of the AI calculations that had previously been done within the same CPU Core as you're using for the client, are now being done on another core, whether that's on a separate PC, or one a different CPU core of the same PC. For complex missions, it made a significant improvement to my frame rate, as it basically free up resources for the normal client side calculations.

From a client side, it's very much like logging into a multi-player server, although the ping rate is unsurprisingly pretty awesome (typically under 5, when hosted on the PC next to me).

So yes, you'll need a decent amount of RAM on the client, as multi-player seems to typically use 5-6GB more. IMO, the graphics hog is basically unchanged for the client.

The "server" has NO GPU resource requirements, and I've been able to happily run complex missions with well over 100 moving vehicles (mostly on the ground) with even an old i5 2500 capable of running it.

The key point being that all of the AI calculations that had previously been done within the same CPU Core as you're using for the client, are now being done on another core, whether that's on a separate PC, or one a different CPU core of the same PC. For complex missions, it made a significant improvement to my frame rate, as it basically free up resources for the normal client side calculations.

Hmmm. Very interesting, food for thought. Thanks!!!

Could you describe how to use one core as a server? Even a basic “how to” to get myself oriented to do self-study would be great!

Thanks!

The new intel 10 series will require the new Z490 chipset mobo. Check the socket types it will be LGASomething. As these are yet to be launched its not really known just how much better they are going to be, their highest core speeds (5.3??) are based on a triple stage thermo linked turbo that has not been implemented before and may not be achievable for long enough periods to justify. You may be better adopting a cheaper 9th gen or one of the lower end 10th gens that are basically the same as current top 9th gens. That 10th gen looks very expensive for what it is to me.

I'm not sure is the i9 9900ks is still available as it was a "special edition", I don't regret getting mine but I wouldn't want to pay any more than I did for it over a regular i9

You could look around for prebulit mobo and cpu packages, which you then add the rest to. PC building is a bit of minefield when you first start looking to build but it does come together eventually and not too difficult once you get the general idea. I can recommend YouTube as a great resource for learning. Watch as many as you can, check reviews for everything you want to buy and you will see the common themes come out. Once 10th gen is out youtube will be pitting it against older versions and you may find that for DCS you could save lots of money and get the same performance.

Yes, you are right, Z490 for the 10900K. Doh!! Thanks for the suggestions. Where did you buy your 9900KS? Can't see anything on Amazon. the 9900K seems easy to find though now especially with a discount given as the 10900K is about to land.

So because I'm a total nood when it comes to this, just to make sure I understand correctly - all you do it start up your own mission in MP and that's it in order to utilise another core? Or is it more complex than that? Sorry for the dumb questions! Thanks for the suggestion though, very intreagued.

I just upgraded from an 11-year old Asus MB and an i7-2600 to a Gigabyte Z390 and an i9-9900k. Also went from 16Gb to 32Gb DDR-4. Swapped out a vanilla 1080 for an EVGA RTX 2070.

‘I’m pulling 60fps everywhere with everything maxed at 2560x

It’s like a whole new sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

So because I'm a total nood when it comes to this, just to make sure I understand correctly - all you do it start up your own mission in MP and that's it in order to utilise another core? Or is it more complex than that? Sorry for the dumb questions! Thanks for the suggestion though, very intreagued.

Nope. That's about it.

Install and run a dedicated server on your PC. There's some good guides around on that. Load one of your existing missions and run it using the dedicated server. You have the option to allow others to use it, but can happily password protect the server so only you can access.

Load DCS as per normal, then log in via multiplayer to your own server.

Management of your CPU cores won't be done by DCS, rather by windows.

So for example, if you have a 4 core CPU, windows will give a core to the dedicated server and when you load the DCS client, will allocate a different core to the game. So effectively, you're making DCS a 2.5 core (as the DCS client offloads audio to a different core to the main game).

As mentioned, you need a decent amount of RAM to do it, I'd say a min of 32GB.

Hope that helps.

I just upgraded from an 11-year old Asus MB and an i7-2600 to a Gigabyte Z390 and an i9-9900k. Also went from 16Gb to 32Gb DDR-4. Swapped out a vanilla 1080 for an EVGA RTX 2070.

‘I’m pulling 60fps everywhere with everything maxed at 2560x

It’s like a whole new sim.

I too have a gigabyte board, not sure if you are an overclocker or not (I'm not) but in the bios settings there is a CPU upgrade dropdown, if you have the cooling for it try advanced +1. Gave me an extra 100mhz on my chip. I also get better on my i9 with hyper threading disabled in bios.

I'm not familiar with the AMD side, but on Intel, the i5-9600K or 10th gen equivalent is probably the most reasonable choice.

DCS currently plateaus at 4 cores, but the i5 is a six, so some room for growth should it go multithread. The single core speed is also fairly high.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

consider buying a discount 9700K or a 9900K instead of a 10 gen CPU, due lack of availability of the latter and gouging prices not to mention there will be no change on your gaming experience. That is only valid if you really don't want to consider AMD side.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

consider buying a discount 9700K or a 9900K instead of a 10 gen CPU, due lack of availability of the latter and gouging prices not to mention there will be no change on your gaming experience. That is only valid if you really don't want to consider AMD side.

I'd consider whatever is better for DCS but it seems like most people running high settings are on the intel CPUs? Everywhere I see high def DCS videos it always seems to be from folk on a 9900K that's overclocked.

AMD will release XT versions of their 3000X series soon.

Given the superior IPC from those they look even better with a few more MHz.

I, personally, dont see a reason why someone would buy a 10900k. For gaming ten cores is of no use and for multithreading AMD holds the crown with many positive aspects, heat being one of them, PCIe-4 and so on.

I could imagine a 10600k or a 9600k/9700k for gaming, but I would still prefer AMD as it allows another upgrade in fall 2020.

Just my 2 cents about CPU marketing

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have a Noctua NH--D15S . It cools my 9700k very well , and i am very pleased with it . However , i do not think the NH-D15 will cool a 10900k . You could fry an egg on that cpu ! I personally recommend staying away from 10th gen . The extra cores and/ or hyperthreading will not be helpful for DCS , and the (very) marginal performance gains , particularly at higher res or VR , are not worth the heat stress .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

AMD will release XT versions of their 3000X series soon.

Given the superior IPC from those they look even better with a few more MHz.

I, personally, dont see a reason why someone would buy a 10900k. For gaming ten cores is of no use and for multithreading AMD holds the crown with many positive aspects, heat being one of them, PCIe-4 and so on.

I could imagine a 10600k or a 9600k/9700k for gaming, but I would still prefer AMD as it allows another upgrade in fall 2020.

Just my 2 cents about CPU marketing

I agree here. The really heavy intel CPU's don't seem to provide any real advantage when it comes to games. I was considering the i9 9900K initially, but it wouldn't have been any better than the i5 9600K I went with.

Here is a video showing the i5:

Starts with everything set to max, terrible FPS, but small tweaks give the same visuals and reasonable FPS.

And i5 vs i9:

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files