Professional and affordable TrackIR alternative

hegykc

Hi everyone. You might know some of my projects here, like the TM compatible F-18 grips and A-10 usb instruments. Those started as a hobby experiment, but have since grown into a full consumer product project, at least that is the plan.

As I shifted my research & development from designing a product, to designing machinery needed to manufacture it, I needed to go back, and design more products in order to justify developing and building the machinery. Quite soon you realize that no machinery can survive without multiple products to keep it busy, and no product can be, without the multiple machines it takes to make it.

This is the answer to all the questions of "why so long", "why not just the grips" etc. I will not go down the road of (many) projects and small manufacturers by "putting all my eggs in a single basket". That is the double death sentence of being stuck delivering that single product, and not having time nor energy to develop any other that are supposed to fuel your growth. I currently have a couple projects presented here (which I stopped updating once I moved my focus to machinery), and I will add quite a few more because that is the only way to succeed. Many eggs, many baskets.

My grips, bases and instruments have gone quite far ahead and I will show you the progress in due time. But first, let me introduce you to my latest little gizmo, that will probably be the first thing to hit the shelves.

A few weeks ago I decided to get some kind of head tracking device. After searching the net, I became familiar with the desperate situation that exists. A professional solution that is way too expensive and has many problems on one hand, and a great open source software accompanied by not so great hardware. So, I decided to develop my own.

I will fill in the details a bit later, but here are just a few:

- completely wireless with 10h battery life. Can be extended to 30h with a slightly larger case.

- magnetically attached mounting arm with 5 degrees of freedom of movement so you can attach it to any headset out there.

-IR device is both left and right side compatible with the same mounting arm. The device itself also has a magnetic quick connect/disconnect

-auto on/off switch. Snap it on and LEDs turn on, snap it off and LEDs turn off

-custom made lens and IR-filter that should deliver unparalleled performance

-120 degree LEDs, instead of 80° used by all the competitors

-120fps IR sensor that comes with a monitor mount, that also doubles as a charging dock for the clip

This will go to the machines in the first weeks of the new year, so you can expect product pictures real soon, along with comparisons to competitors. You won't be expected to fork out any doe until I show you that this is the best one by a mile. Much research, development and component searching went into this, so worst case scenario, it'll be slightly better then the best one out there.

Oh, almost forgot the best part about it. 35.00$ for the whole set (minus the headset of course). Yep, that's right, 300% cheaper then the next best thing, and more than 5x cheaper than trackIR. I will also dedicate much of the profits to the current open source software development and improvement.

I started this after reading a blog about TrackIR, you will find it if you google "TrackIR Anticompetition", it's the first result. I was appalled, shocked and disgusted after an hour of reading there. So I think it's time head tracking goes to everyone, not just the ones that have 200$ to spare. No pre-orders, no kickstarters, no waiting lists. News, tests and reviews as soon as we get the hollydays behind us.

Merry Christmas!

2_zpsilieosdn.png~original

3.thumb.JPG.6337df6aa966889fa291afcc5d7db82e.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.3a9d3acaa85710620d8f86cf3314e15a.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.d18d2f9130a1bbad1f0e6ae99bb13ab3.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.a0b42a4662e2ad31904db46249e7f3bd.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reserved for further details about the project.

ETA: After the hollydays for the prototypes, and then products weeks after, as soon as testers confirm all is ok.

The camera inside is a PS3 eye for now. I will try everything from the cheapest 2$ 30fps webcams up to 45$ custom made monochrome IR cmos sensor boards.

P.S. I should note that behind these "pretty pictures" is a parametric cad model, fully "manufacture ready" at the push of a button. But the hollydays got me, so that will have to wait a week or two. I had the renders a few weeks ago. I posted them here only after sourcing all the components, tools and jigs, and g-codes for the cnc and laser machines.

Edited by hegykc

Hi Hegykc !

I forwarded the news on https://www.facebook.com/groups/DigitalCombatSimulator/

I look forward seeing your company devellop, it's great to see more and more actor in the flight sim industry. Can't wait to see this one hit the shelves. :)

I started this after reading a blog about TrackIR, you will find it if you google "TrackIR Anticompetition"

Just finished reading. If a quarter of that is true, then I regret having purchased TrackIR 5. It's not about the money spent, I am really happy with the product itself, but I wish I had read about those ghastly monopolistic practices before buying.

You can count on my full support, hell if it works as advertised for 35$ I'll buy it.

very nice. even with shipping from the other side of the planet, this is still much cheaper than trackIR.

You will need to back up this great hardware with some software instructions because freetrack is painful to get working with dcs. even for $35 it has to be a turn key / plug and play solution to be successful. at least providing an automatically installing software to setup this up for dcs with good documention for support.

I bought a trackIR because it was easier and a lot less frustrating for me to work overtime rather spending a day researching and fiddling with old software, drivers, and free track settings / curves.

good luck!

p.s. I'll be buying this as soon as it is available because the whole kit is cheaper than a replacement for my broken trackClip Pro attachment lol.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Hi Hegykc !

I forwarded the news on https://www.facebook.com/groups/DigitalCombatSimulator/

By all means. I will ask for much more help with exposure, but after I get several prototypes into the hands of testers with both open source and trackIR. Which should be very soon as, unlike my grip project, these use very common manufacturing methods so everything is ready.

Just finished reading. If a quarter of that is true, then I regret having purchased TrackIR 5. It's not about the money spent, I am really happy with the product itself, but I wish I had read about those ghastly monopolistic practices before buying.

I know, right? I was so mad after reading it, that I started all of this :D

very nice. even with shipping from the other side of the planet, this is still much cheaper than trackIR.

The boxes in the renders are a presentation for retailers. The ones I sell myself go into a simple bubble wrap envelope as the package is 6 (six) millimeters thick actually, and under 200 grams. Some styrofoam protection on the bottom and top and it's nothing more than a very thick letter. I'm not 100% on it yet, but some number crunching shows 10$ shipping to Usa.

You will need to back up this great hardware with some software instructions because freetrack is painful to get working with dcs. even for $35 it has to be a turn key / plug and play solution to be successful.

Yes and no.

No because the only 2 alternatives right now are Delan Clip and TrackHat, with prices of 60$ and 90$ respectively, and they both use the same open source software you have to set up to your preferences. 90$ and more than 1000 units sold. It cost all three of us under 18$ to make, including the camera. So "90$-18$ x 1.000", I would call that very successful. That would pay for all the machinery I plan to build, 3 times over.

Yes because the only reason I get into something, is when I see a way for a major improvement. After making sure I can cut the price 2-3 times, I know I can sell 10x more of them, which will in turn allow me to share much of the profits with the software makers. And after successful hardware tests, that will be my No.1 priority.

I bought a trackIR because it was easier and a lot less frustrating for me to work overtime rather spending a day researching and fiddling with old software, drivers, and free track settings / curves.

That I do understand, because I tried to make my own frankenstein freetrack 7 years ago, and gave up for the same reasons. But as I understand, freetrack is an old and dead platform. Opentrack is it's successor and to my research, it works remarkably, even with the frankenstein home made hardware. It's also an active development. So with the improvements that I have in mind, it should be flawless and perfect. And when I throw a bunch of money at the software developers, it should be even better.

The reason why many are having problems with open source solutions like freetrack and opentrack, is because of their home made hardware. I attached a picture with 3 graphs, showing curves for light waves, combined with a floppy disk film filter, a photographic film filter, and then my custom made industrial IR filter. The differences are huge.

The floppy disk film filter, wich is the most common one among DIY builders, is absolute garbage. It doesn't let through any of the high intensity IR light. So any IR that get's through, is mixed in with the sunlight and room light. Photographic film is much better, but combined with most commonly used LEDs, it still blocks 50% of the "high intensity - interference free" range those LEDs emit. And most important, both of them are actually see through. Put them in front of a light bulb and it shows through. Not at all what you want in a visible light filter, a complete fail.

Not my filter. My filter is industrial grade, 100% "780nm and under" light blocking. The thing is solid black, like looking at a rock, yet completely see-though when filmed with an IR camera. Actual manufacturers specification sheet says 0.00% ( that's zero with two decimals) visible light transmittance, up to 780nm. And 90% light transmittance from 800 - 1000 nm. It's a multi billion $$ company so I trust their specs. There are even better narrow band filters, but cost crazy money, this one I'm getting for free in unlimited quantities. According to the numbers, it should work much better then both options currently in use, and that's all I need.

7.thumb.jpg.67dc9687f9138de9fae763758715a8e3.jpg

Edited by hegykc

Hello Hegykc

Incredible work and the look is very futurist, of course the price is not expensive and it's perfect.

Congratulation for this great idea, regards.

Really interesting!I wish you the best of luck! And I will definately buy one.

One thing I have always disliked about the TiR is the monitor mount. It worked best with old CRT monitors where it could sit flat on the top.

Your mount look better suited for LCD screens. Is the IR cameras angle adjustable?

The IR LED headset looks very nice! I especially like the protruding LEDs! They will probably be easier to "see" for the IR camera.

Waiting for the order link... ;)

Day 1 purchase for me. For pretty everything you release, hegykc. If that stuff is even half as good as it looks it will be insanely awesome.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

This looks awesome, especially that charging dock is really nice.

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

This is an excellent idea. I hope it goes well for you.

Do you have an ETA?

Greek/German origin.

Flying sims since 1984.

Using computers since 1977.

Favored FS's:F/A18 Interceptor, F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunnship, F16 Combat Pilot, Flight of the Intruder, A320, Falcon 4.0, MSFS 2004-X, DCS

What software you will be using? I use Freetrack (still) because although old, unsupported anymore, and buggy with my PS3Eye camera it still the only one I managed to tune to work almost flawlessly on all 6 axes.

If you don't come with an idiot proof solution on this I think you will fail to sell enough. TrackIR made its money on this simple fact.

A second problem is the imminent release (few months) of VR headsets that will finally surpass current headtracking solutions in quality. With a bit of luck they will have also hands tracking and then... end of the line of our old devices.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Well **** me. Everything I wanted in head tracking gear. I thought I'd never see the day. I was just about to buy the delan clip but I will hold on for this because I can't be bothered with 6 lazy ass hour of battery. Good luck with any and all your endeavors mate I wish you the best of luck from me nd all flight simmers in New Zealand. P.s I'm am really drunk nd in the crapper so sorry in advance. Merry Xmas to all

Support from the neighborhood. :)

Much effort. I believe that it works as it looks. Great job.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Count me in :thumbup: !

@hegykc: Maybe you can also make an extra clip to mount your device on a Basecap?

Windows 10 | i7-8700K@5GHz | 2080 Ti | Intel Z370 Chipset | 32GB RAM@1866 MHz | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w. FSSB R3 Mod | Saitek Switch Panel + Radio Panel + Multi Panel + FIP + Flightpanels Software | MFG_Crosswind | TrackIR5 | TM Cougar MFD Pack | Obutto R3volution | 1 x LG38 | GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I'm in if it is easy to set up :)

Have TiR4 at the moment and quite happy with it but your solution looks good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

Looks stunning. For that price, honestly can't say no. Really getting fed up with the amount of wires in my setup, and desperately want to find a way to reduce them.

Day one purchase here.

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Having third party options like this makes it more interesting for developers to include open-source support for head-tracking, which in turn opens up for a bigger market for head-tracking hardware, and then the snowball starts to roll... ;) While I laike my TrackIR5 w/ PRO Clip, I do agree that the clip is a flimsy PoC, so I'll be on the fence, leaning towards getting a set...

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]