F8F-2 Bearcat Dev Diary

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update on here,

After some corrections to the shape of our Bearcat we have finally got it sorted out :) the external geometry is due to be finished by the end of the month with work on the animations and textures as well.

The cockpit will be started early November as the artist has another little merlin sounding project to do some work on before that can start ;)

So by the end of November I expect to have the Bearcat in sim, with its own clickable pit waiting for its turn for the AFM customization :)

Pman

• 3 weeks later...

Whew.... Spitfire and Bearcat, I can't wait!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

So time for abit of an update…

Modelling continues on the bearcat, main things being worked on at the moment is the prop and the main gear linkage. If you haven’t seen a detailed video on the gear sequence on a bearcat that have a quick youtube of it. Getting the components of the gear in the right size, shape and position so that the sequence works correctly and looks great is a tough job!

Ammo boxes and guns have all been modelled and added, fuselage has been checked and double checked for shape after some wonky blueprints earlier in the project.

Programming wise, Due to the high number of aircraft we are projecting to release over the next couple of years we have undertaken a process of compartmentalising our work. Enabling faster development of future aircraft. Development on the core aspects of the AFM and ASM of the Bearcat has begun and within the next couple of months we look to integrate that into a functional aircraft.

Currently we are still scheduled for a Q1 2015 release.

More eye candy will follow around the weekend or early next week.

Pman

• 1 month later...

Work continues on the Bearcat behind the scenes, we have had to revise a few keys aspects of the aircraft after feedback from aircraft operators regarding shape and profile, but we are now confident that we have the right shape and work will now continue to have the fusalage finished by december and cockpit by January.

EFM development will start when the P-40F EFM is more refined towards the beginning of the year, we are still expecting release in Q1 of 2015 into Beta at least :)

Pman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Excited for more news! I got a question tho, why wont you go all the way for PFM rather then EFM?

Essentially they are the same thing

PFM is an ED term for a flight model made by ED

EFM is an ED term for a flight model made by a third party

Pman

• Like 1
Any updates for the Bearcat on how work is coming along and are you guys still tracking for a second quarter release? Probably the only bird coming out other than the P47/Me262 that I'm really excited to see in DCS.

Yup, working is continuing behind the scenes on this one, fm modelling will happen after the p40 is more along the way but tbh it shouldn't take too long once the p40 has been done.

Still expecting late q1 to q2 beta release.

Pman

• 2 months later...

Indeed its not dead in the slightest

Couple of renders were posted in one of the other threads but I will post a couple here :)

Its progressing along nicely, albeit a little behind schedule but is in no danger of being sidelined or cancelled :)

Pman

F8F-2_WIP_124.thumb.jpg.80154de5da329ba20924a47405e25554.jpg

F8F-2_WIP_125.thumb.jpg.2f045c3b16bfa0d48bb98eb8817c1eca.jpg

F8F-2_WIP_121.thumb.jpg.c9c249fcee38202a0e55accf0f7e1d3a.jpg

Yup, working is continuing behind the scenes on this one, fm modelling will happen after the p40 is more along the way but tbh it shouldn't take too long once the p40 has been done.

Still expecting late q1 to q2 beta release.

Pman

Be carefull Pman, we could understand that P40 will be beta release before "late Q1" ! :D (and end of Q1 is in 2 (more) weeks.... :D:D:D )

Edited by Lib