a mod to increase flying enjoyment

hi all,

you know there is one thing that can't be simulated. Motion sensation. When in a real plane we can feel acceleration/deceleration , when the plane climbs or descends. These are very important sensory input to our brains which helps us pilot the air craft better.

Unfortunately, we don't get that when flying DCS. We have to constantly rely on numbers on hud which are hard to read as we have zoom in. plus who wants to constantly look at numbers. not ideal.

My recommendation is to have a vertical bar on the right that turns red and grows towards the bottom to indicate descends or turns green and grows upwards to indicate the ascend. The length of the bar would be relative to the rate of ascend or descend.

Similarly we can have a horizontal bar on the bottom of the screen that indicates speed acceleration/deceleration.

These two cues would be very valuable given we don't get those when in a simulator and can only get it in real life. These will serve as cues our sub-consequence will learn to procees as we pilot the aircraft looking ahead. Hence i would recommend all you intelligent modders to see if you can develop such a mod.

thanks in advance

Try VR you might be surprised how much the brain fills in the details of motion, well for me at least.

Admittedly I mostly fly helicopters but it seems similar for fixed wing in that you estimate the horizon and have that match a position on the cockpit frame for your eye height just as a reference. After a while you can judge level flight easily and you get a feel for climbing and descending based on the juxtaposition of your cockpit to the horizon (world).

As for the indicators not for me thanks, you already have instruments and no you shouldn't stare at them you just scan them.

Attitude

Power

Performance

Visual

As for just a slight bleeding off of speed and climbing and or bleeding off of height and increasing speed these are not very noticeable as far as feeling motion which is why you need to constantly scan.

On the other hand manoeuvring is very noticeable. :D

But of course if it's a mod and it helps?

• Like 1

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I agree with the sentiment, but not with the argument.

In flightschool a pilot is tought to not trust in the gut-feeling, because many times, due to the nature of flying and spatial illusions, a pilot's feel is incorrect to what is happening.

Now the argument is not completely false - take-offs and landings are largely visual occurence close to the ground, but for most of the time a pilot should orient him/herself by the indicators the aircraft provides, and not the inner ear.

There are frequent cases that, coming out of IFR conditions a pilot is absolutely sure he is upside down or a good 110 degrees to either side, even if the aircraft is in straight and level flight.

Secondly, the gauges would partly defeat the purpose of trusting in instruments, and lessen the surprise moment of pitot-static system failures, because you could always just look at the ascend-decend "gut-feel"-gauge to verify if your system is at fault.

I would like to have a system to indicate the gut-feel for sure... they make for interesting situations when you think you are one way when you aren't... but unfortunately as long as we can't create artificial gravity in a room, this will not be possible in a reasonable manner.

An interesting idea though.

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Flying through cloud is a classic one for trusting instruments, gut feel is useless.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.