Small program suite for starting and stopping remote processes

brydling

I've written a small suite of two programs to start and stop processes on several computers from one GUI.

If we take the Draken simulator at NovelAir as an example, it is consists of three computers plus the operator station. The main computer is running FSX, System35 (Draken systems simulation) and some other things. The second computer is running radar simulation. The third computer is running SIOC and has most of the cockpit hardware connected to it. The operator station has for example a PlanG moving map and a program called Stril60 which lets you select a target from a list of all available FSX objects and send steering info towards the target to the cockpit instruments in the simulator like the real Stril60 system used on the swedish Drakens back in the days. (I believe it was the world's first airborne tactical data link :))

The startup of the simulator can become quite a mess with several programs that has to be started on different computers in a special order. For example FSX need to be started before a lot of the other programs so that they get a connection to FSX when they start. You then need to Alt+Tab down FSX to start the other programs on this computer. To tackle this problem I wrote these two programs. The first program is called local_supervisor and is a server that is running on all the simulation machines. It is responsible for actually starting and stopping the processes and detect if they are running or not. The second program is called supervisor and is the GUI that is supposed to run on the operator station PC. From that GUI all the processes on all the different computers can be controlled.

The same setup is used for controlling the Viggen simulator processes from the same operator station.

I don't know if these kind of multi-computer setups exist around here yet but I just want to share the programs anyway in case it would make someone's life a little easier.

The programs are available on GitHub:

http://github.com/brydling/supervisor

http://github.com/brydling/local_supervisor

The config files that are included are just an example but I believe they should be enough for you to understand how to add new hosts and processes to the system.

The programs leave lots of small things to wish for. You are very welcome to add features or fix bugs. Just send me a pull request when you're done and I'll merge it to the master branch if the new features doesn't ruin our usage scenario :)

Edited by brydling
Shortened the post and updated with links to github instead
  • Like 1

Digital-to-Synchro converter for interfacing real aircraft instruments - Thread

Check out my High Input Count Joystick Controller for cockpit builders, with support for 248 switches, 2 POV hats and 13 analog axes. Over 60 units sold. - B256A13

www.novelair.com - The world's most realistic flight simulators of the J35J Draken and the AJS37 Viggen.

Glad to hear someone found it useful! :)

In the future I am planning on adding an Auto-start button to the GUI which you can write your own startup-sequence to. For example "start application 1 and 2 on computer 1, wait 10s, start application 3 and 4 on computer 1 and application 1 and 2 on computer 2," etc..

Check out my High Input Count Joystick Controller for cockpit builders, with support for 248 switches, 2 POV hats and 13 analog axes. Over 60 units sold. - B256A13

www.novelair.com - The world's most realistic flight simulators of the J35J Draken and the AJS37 Viggen.

• 4 months later...

I forgot about this thread. The programs have been updated several times. I think they were quite useless in their original form. I have added the latest versions to the first post. They work better now.

Hi,

Can you give us a little tutorial to use?

I tried to SIOC but it does not work, I'm sure I set the path for the sioc.exe.

You can also tell us how to run a program (Helios)

which is located on another machine network?

I'd really like to use your program looks very convenient, you just

how to use it. :)

Regards,

R1

Hi,

I have a lot to do right now. If you have direct questions it will be easier to answer. You can post the contents of your config-files so that I can see what may be wrong. :)

/Niclas

• 3 years later...

Updated to new versions in the original post:

-Fixed a bug on Windows XP where local_supervisor would not detect if the processes are manually started by the user

-Removed separate buttons for Start and Stop in Supervisor. Now you just click in the big red/green field. Made it this way because it looks better on touch-screens.

-Removed the window frame in Supervisor. To move the window, click and drag where there are no elements. In the gray area between the buttons/labels. To close the window, use Alt+F4.

-Made it so that Supervisor remembers where the window was last time, and opens it in the same position on the desktop.

Thanks for sharing - I'd thought about building just such a tool, you'd saved me a bunch of time!

Cheers

Peter

No problem. I'm glad if it can be of use for more people. I've just migrated all my SVN repositories to Git, so I'm thinking about putting this up on Bitbucket/GitHub so that others can contribute.

Regards

Niclas

Projects are up on GitHub now and the original post is edited. Feel free to contribute :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it will come of use to you :) If something is missing feel free to add it to the code and send me a pull request. There are probably lots of features to wish for.