No More Steam Keys Usable on e-store DCS?

Mars Exulte

There is much to be said for the way games on Steam work. A central source for automatic updates, patch notes, news, steam cloud, etc. I don't use it for DCS but I do have, literally, hundreds of games on Steam.

I have lots of steam games too but would never use it for DCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lots of steam games too but would never use it for DCS.

The 14 day (2 hours played) return policy, alone, might be enough for some people to choose Steam.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Why would anyone use steam for DCS anyway? Pointless.

Why do you say that? Sometimes the modules are cheaper, and Steam is an excellent platform for DCS and all other games.

Brings DCS to a much wider audience I would suggest.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I don't understand the logic for this. I read somewhere that a module bought direct from ED standalone will put more money in their pocket because there's no Valve cut. A lot of people (most?) discover DCS on Steam, invest in a few modules, but then ultimately migrate to the standalone version (delivering higher quality revenues). With this change the keys won't transfer, so nor will the customers, who will not want to write off their Steam module investments. End result is more Steam users relative to standalone and lower quality revenues. They had it exactly right before this change - a one way transfer of keys from Steam to standalone. What am I missing? Could this be telegraphing an exclusive move to Steam at a later date?

• Like 1

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

Why do you say that? Sometimes the modules are cheaper, and Steam is an excellent platform for DCS and all other games.

Brings DCS to a much wider audience I would suggest.

I wasn't asking why people use Steam. I do, a lot.

I just don't know why anyone would for DCS. As someone pointed out in another thread maybe it is the return policy. I suppose some people don't know there is a non Steam version that gets everything in advance too. Just goes to show people should research the game they are about to buy before buying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wasn't asking why people use Steam. I do, a lot.

I just don't know why anyone would for DCS. As someone pointed out in another thread maybe it is the return policy. I suppose some people don't know there is a non Steam version that gets everything in advance too. Just goes to show people should research the game they are about to buy before buying.

Although I use the ED version of DCS to support them, I would prefer if the whole thing was moved to Steam only. Automatic updates, no more irritating Starforce protection system, bigger user base, all my games/sims in one place etc.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have quite a few modules already. Never had any issues with the purchase. Don't see anything complicated with it. Just stay with either standalone or steam. The fact that DCS has a standalone version is one of the best things about it.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

I could never see any sense whatsoever in going through steam for anything. I have heard so many complaints about how it works, that you don't get the full benefits of DCS through steam, you never get early release, there have been verification issues, and the complaints go on and on.

To me, using steam is like going to a middle man to buy a used car from a used car dealer. You are adding another element to something that could be simple.

People tell me that steam has it's advantages, but I have heard those same people pi$$ and moan about problems with steam.

All of the advantages that I am informed of don't come close to all of the whining about steam I hear all of the time.

Simple solution: Cut them out of the picture.

I could never see any sense whatsoever in going through steam for anything. I have heard so many complaints about how it works, that you don't get the full benefits of DCS through steam, you never get early release, there have been verification issues, and the complaints go on and on.

To me, using steam is like going to a middle man to buy a used car from a used car dealer. You are adding another element to something that could be simple.

People tell me that steam has it's advantages, but I have heard those same people pi$$ and moan about problems with steam.

All of the advantages that I am informed of don't come close to all of the whining about steam I hear all of the time.

Simple solution: Cut them out of the picture.

Its not steam that causes the problems your discussing but starforce DCS DRM.

1. verification issues -> starforce, I don't see other games in steam having issues

2. early release -> they don't post them in steam as modules

If everything about DCS was only on steam these problems wouldn't exist. Steam helps the game get more players through its advertising platform, and they take a cut for that, thats fine and worth it. They need platforms like steam to market their game because on their own, the word isn't getting out (not from what I see).

DCS needs all the help they can get, it drives me CRAZY that the BEST VR GAME EVER is not really know to the VR community (yet its getting traction through word of mouth..)

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

It's simple enough to choose one platform, then stick with it.

If you buy all steam licenses and only run steam - no problem.

If you buy all DCS World stand alone licenses - no problem.

Why ever would you buy half on one and half on another knowing the licenses won't work on a platform you didn't buy it for?

And bear in mind, DCS stand alone licenses haven't worked on steam for a long time now. All you have to do is decide now which platform you want to stick with. What's the big deal guys?

• Like 1

The 'old modules still work' is a good one. *clapping*

I can see the posts now 'I bought module A and it worked fine... then I bought this other module and it refuses to function.... I have to have TWO installs now, wtf???'

I mean ffs, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I don't mean to be harsh, but really? Did anybody ever actually think this through? This is a great way to harm your own reputation after a few instances of THAT.

Yep, agreed! I would shutdown Steam altogether if you asked me, and go for ED Store only... Should solve all the hassle with Steam using their own DRM System, not accepting ED Starforce Keys and issues with early access in one go.

Similar to FSX Steam edition where all your already bought add-ons and sceneries need to be bought again, as Steam enforces their new DRM on the stuff.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It's simple enough to choose one platform, then stick with it.

If you buy all steam licenses and only run steam - no problem.

If you buy all DCS World stand alone licenses - no problem.

Why ever would you buy half on one and half on another knowing the licenses won't work on a platform you didn't buy it for?

And bear in mind, DCS stand alone licenses haven't worked on steam for a long time now. All you have to do is decide now which platform you want to stick with. What's the big deal guys?

You might start with Steam, like I did, due to knowing no better. Then after reading the forums you might realise that standalone is better and transfer your modules to that from Steam - like I did. I'd have been annoyed, and probably not gone on to purchase more DCS modules and maps, had I not been able to migrate from Steam. This is not a positive move for the consumer on the face of it. It will be interesting to understand why this really happened.
  • Like 1

PC specs:

Standalone & Steam have access to the same multiplayer servers don't they?

Yes.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It will be interesting to understand why this really happened.

We probably will never know as I am betting that there is an NDA clause in ED's contract with Steam.

Edited by cichlidfan

Standalone & Steam have access to the same multiplayer servers don't they?

Yes, the Version of DCS determines that, AFAIK. Not the platform.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I don't understand the logic for this. I read somewhere that a module bought direct from ED standalone will put more money in their pocket because there's no Valve cut. A lot of people (most?) discover DCS on Steam, invest in a few modules, but then ultimately migrate to the standalone version (delivering higher quality revenues). With this change the keys won't transfer, so nor will the customers, who will not want to write off their Steam module investments. End result is more Steam users relative to standalone and lower quality revenues. They had it exactly right before this change - a one way transfer of keys from Steam to standalone. What am I missing? Could this be telegraphing an exclusive move to Steam at a later date?

Thank you, somebody who gets the bigger picture. These 'hur hur why u use Steam' people need to use their heads. Why use Steam? Why NOT use Steam? It shouldn't matter! It doesn't everywhere but here.

The point is people START at Steam then cone here, many changing to standalone only to find their stuff won't transfer.

It's needlessly conplicated. There shouldn't BE a difference.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It sounds to me as if ED is planing to move to Steam exclusively, as soon as 2.??? is released.

At least thats what i hope.

We should not forget that Starforce wants to be payed for their inconvenient services ;)

Thank you, somebody who gets the bigger picture. These 'hur hur why u use Steam' people need to use their heads. Why use Steam? Why NOT use Steam? It shouldn't matter! It doesn't everywhere but here.

The point is people START at Steam then cone here, many changing to standalone only to find their stuff won't transfer.

Exactly right. From a customer standpoint there should be more flexibility (keys transfer in both directions), not less (now keys don't transfer at all).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

So, all I know is steam. Of course I bought the Steam version DCS, Huey, and Gazelle. I'd love access to NTTR and Normandy. I just figured out mods and OvGME. Should I move to standalone? Can I use my steam Huey and Gazelle from steam in standalone if I purchase it?

Thanks,

Reed

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

I can't speak for everyone but I've never, ever bought a game without checking it out first. I don't want to waste my money, and even less my time, impulsively on something I don't know, and it's very hard to get an opinion from the little info on Steam. So I'm usually checking some reviews, and the developper website.

A quick check on DCS should bring anyone to the DCS store.

Unfortunately, yes, some might just overlook this and learn the hard way , or just happily stick with Steam if they don't care that much.

Steam most probably puts some pressure on vendors to have exclusive rights, I've seen several sims and games that were first available both on Steam and at another place, moving exclusively to Steam. I was actually surprised to see it was possible to register Steam's products on the DCS store and use them outside the Steam ecosystem, it's no wonder it finally stopped, even though it's sad for the people who might get stuck there. So I think that the big picture is not necessarily what the users prefer, or what the developers prefer, but how the distributors restrict the licencing options as they get more momentum.

I'm certainly glad it's not the other way round, and that we don't all have to migrate to Steam, but that's just personal preference (apparently shared with others).

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

So, all I know is steam. Of course I bought the Steam version DCS, Huey, and Gazelle. I'd love access to NTTR and Normandy. I just figured out mods and OvGME. Should I move to standalone? Can I use my steam Huey and Gazelle from steam in standalone if I purchase it?

Thanks,

Reed

You can use NTTR & soon Normandy and all your purchases so far in the standalone version.

From now on if you buy something new on Steam you can't use it on standalone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shame that it has changed to this policy of no exchange between Steam and ED Store, I personally use the standalone installer, but have some modules purchased through steam also.

From a consumer point of view, choice is a good thing, everyone has there own personal reasons for choosing a purchasing method, me included.

Some times I regret not buying modules in a sale on ED store, but then shortly after a similar sale is on steam and I decide to purchase them because I don't want to wait any more.

I just think this will hurt ED more than help them.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

I would not be at all surprised if this is the case, whether for the reason posted or some other reason. Steam is in a powerful position.

Well, my impression is quite the opposite.

Did you know that, approximately until fortnight ago, you were able to buy DCS modules on Steam at ten times lower prices than those in ED store? Of course, depending on your local Steam site which related to average salaries and living standard in country you're living in? In that sense, Steam was a premium vendor. Which is quite nice.

For instance, in Finland, traffic violation fines are not fixed, but set by the judge according to your reported taxed income (they are honest about tax reports ;) ). And that approach is great because nobody is at disadvantage. And, for DCS, it allowed for bigger community.

Requiring separate installations for the same product bought at different vendors is something that's really hard to grasp. Buying the same brand/model/size shoes from, for example, Target and Gear will make them incompatible? In such a way that you would be required to store them in your house in separate lockers? And not mix them (well, I get that's unlikely, but why not?) Or anything similar? I find this a great disadvantage to customers.

It may be vastly different now, but I remember that many years ago the following scenario was possible:

You were living in Italy (EU) and you found out that Fiat "insert model name" car is cheaper in Germany (also EU) than in the country it was produced in (which is Italy). You were free to go to Germany, buy that car and bring it back without import taxes or anything. The similar applied to US brand cars produced in Canada, for instance.

And, in essence, I would agree in my opinion with MadDog-IC.

Bignewy, may I ask for a clarification about the news? Does it mean that all keys purchased from Steam, from today will be incompatible with ED stand-alone, or that M2000C and all future release's keys would be incompatible with ED stand-alone?

Edited by Rabb