Western/Eastern coalition and the WW2 Planes

Western/Eastern coalition and the WW2 Planes  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Western/Eastern coalition and the WW2 Planes

• Eastern : P51D and Spitfire MK9 ; Western : FW190D9 and ME109K4
    • Western : P51D and Spitfire MK9 ; Eastern : FW190D9 and ME109K4
    • I'll would assign them differently. (And i'll explain it in my post how i do it!)

Hello everybody,

this Poll is about the Following:

Let's say we have two coalitions. A "western" one and a "eastern" one. (Like we already have in the standard config in dcs more or less.)

So all western planes/helicopters are in the western coalition. And, well, all russian planes/helicopters are in the eastern coalition.

And both coalitions could "transit" from one time period to another one.

So on western side planes there would be first the F-86F followed by the F-5 followed by F-15 for example.

How would you assign the current 4 WW2 planes?

On one hand the two axis planes were "western planes". And America as well as England have fought together with Russia (the "eastern coalition").

On the other hand P51D and Spitfire are of course "western planes" too.

What would be the best "compromise" without changing the setting (two coalitions:western and eastern) and without excluding the four WW2 planes?!

Hello everybody,

this Poll is about the Following:

Let's say we have two coalitions. A "western" one and a "eastern" one. (Like we already have in the standard config in dcs more or less.)

So all western planes/helicopters are in the western coalition. And, well, all russian planes/helicopters are in the eastern coalition.

And both coalitions could "transit" from one time period to another one.

So on western side planes there would be first the F-86F followed by the F-5 followed by F-15 for example.

How would you assign the current 4 WW2 planes?

On one hand the two axis planes were "western planes". And America as well as England have fought together with Russia (the "eastern coalition").

On the other hand P51D and Spitfire are of course "western planes" too.

What would be the best "compromise" without changing the setting (two coalitions:western and eastern) and without excluding the four WW2 planes?!

Ummm, I'm not sure why there would be a need to reinvent the wheel here. The DCS Mission Editor already allows the ability to set coalitions in any manner that you would like. DCS only recognizes the coalitions as Red and Blue, you already have the option in the Mission Editor to assign whichever countries you wish to either coalition. Aircraft are also set to individual countries in the ME, and their country then determines which coalition they will be part of.

This is why we already have many missions where Georgian Su-25 and Mi-8 squadrons fly on the Blue coalition alongside NATO aircraft, while Russian Su-25 and Mi-8 squadrons are assigned to the Red coalition.

Additionally, a few people have reported that missions in the Normandy map will have a separate country code for Nazi Germany to distinguish it from postwar Germany, which would likely allow for more flexibility to distinguish WWII and early Cold War alliances.

I am not sure that I understand what you are suggesting, but it sounds as though ehat you are looking for is already supported.

Ummm, I'm not sure why there would be a need to reinvent the wheel here. The DCS Mission Editor already allows the ability to set coalitions in any manner that you would like. DCS only recognizes the coalitions as Red and Blue, you already have the option in the Mission Editor to assign whichever countries you wish to either coalition. Aircraft are also set to individual countries in the ME, and their country then determines which coalition they will be part of.

This is why we already have many missions where Georgian Su-25 and Mi-8 squadrons fly on the Blue coalition alongside NATO aircraft, while Russian Su-25 and Mi-8 squadrons are assigned to the Red coalition.

Additionally, a few people have reported that missions in the Normandy map will have a separate country code for Nazi Germany to distinguish it from postwar Germany, which would likely allow for more flexibility to distinguish WWII and early Cold War alliances.

I am not sure that I understand what you are suggesting, but it sounds as though ehat you are looking for is already supported.

Okey ... there are two possibilities ... (maybe more but ... )

My english is realy that bad ... and i expressed my self to badly ... ...

or ...

You realy didnt read my Post at all! :-)

Im totaly aware of the point, that you can assign countrys in every mission you make in the ME between the red and blue coalition.

My questions was ... if (regardless of blue or red) one coalition would only carry eastern (1st to 4th gen) planes, and the other coalition would only carry western (1st to 4th gen) planes

... how would YOU assign the remaining 4 WW2 planes?!

That is my question and poll! ;-)

Edit : Okey ... maybe it becomes more "real" if i give some more information to the question.

Lets assume we make a campaign. And while you progress in that campaign you may progress in technology. And at the beginning of the campaign, you have to choose if youre either red or blue.

That there will be another country code for "nazi germany" doesnt mean that we get another coalition. I didnt heard anything about that. So we're still "stuck" with two coalitions.

So : if you fly on one side ... there will be only ww2 planes at first. Later there will some 1st gen fighters but still the WW2 planes from youre side ... and so on and so on.

And every plane shall only be on one side or the other one. Thats the basic situation or the basic idea. So far so good? :-)

Edited by Wunderwolf
Second thought

Russian and the Western powers didn't fight together as such. They both fought a common enemy, but they were in entirely different theatres of operations, so you need Axis (Germany, Italy and Japan) Allies (USA UK and the commonwealth nations) and eastern front (Russia). There were of course other participants, but you get the drift...

Then there was the pacific theatre too, but as we have just Normandy to discuss, it is pretty straightforward, wouldn't you agree?

Russian and the Western powers didn't fight together as such. They both fought a common enemy, but they were in entirely different theatres of operations, so you need Axis (Germany, Italy and Japan) Allies (USA UK and the commonwealth nations) and eastern front (Russia). There were of course other participants, but you get the drift...

Then there was the pacific theatre too, but as we have just Normandy to discuss, it is pretty straightforward, wouldn't you agree?

I was editing my previous post while yours were in transit ... maybe my "edit" makes my poll somewhat more clear?! :)

Kind of a tough question. :smartass:

I think I'd go by the most common denominator: P-51 and Spitfire flew for the West.

Now, Messerschmitt and Focke Wulf weren't Eastern planes.

But if I had to assign them to "Red" and "Blue" aka "East" and "West", I'd assign Spit and Mustang (and others to come) to West/Blue and whatever remains to East/Red, even though that's historically inaccurate.

Following the line of thought, it kinda makes more sense this way, though, from old to new:

P-51 + Spitfire, F-86, F-5, M-2000, A-10C

Bf 109 + Fw 190, Mig-15, MiG-21, Su-25 + Su-27

If you swapped the WWII birds in the above example, it would feel totally awkward. ;)

USA, UK, Germany, +NATO, etc on Blue

Third Reich, Russia, etc, on Red

For what it is worth since campaigns are just a series of missions tied together through another system, each mission doesn't have to have the exact same coalition make-up. If wanted to you could make a campaign where you alternate between playing for red and blue after each mission.

The red and blue stuff is more down to the archetypes people assign to be "good guys" and "bad guys", but it really doesn't matter much.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

USA, UK, Germany, +NATO, etc on Blue

Third Reich, Russia, etc, on Red

For what it is worth since campaigns are just a series of missions tied together through another system, each mission doesn't have to have the exact same coalition make-up. If wanted to you could make a campaign where you alternate between playing for red and blue after each mission.

The red and blue stuff is more down to the archetypes people assign to be "good guys" and "bad guys", but it really doesn't matter much.

Thats absolutely right, but ...

The "basic setting" is : you choose at the beginning between western/eastern and that decision would be final. So your decision "stucks" you at one side of "technological side".

In my idea red and blue would be assigned in sense of who is attacker or defender of an area of the map. So you would already switch the "color" of the coalitions in that campaign.

Tanks for the input nevertheless. :-)

I'd put it how IL2 has done it for years, and how most WWII flight sims do it.

Red = UK, US, Russia

Blue = Germany, Japan

It's just intuitive to most WWII flight simmers.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5