HSI course and heading source switch.

dsobbe

I'm using Black Shark 1.0.1. The course and heading source switch to the right of the HSI on the fromt panel only works in the Auto position. In the manual position the helicopter will not track the heading bug on the HSI. Am I not setting the autopilot properly for manual heading, or is the Manual source switch position not working?

Thanks

Edited by dsobbe

You can't use the heading bug as an autopilot heading setter. It's not a bug afaik.

If not, then why can it be rotated with the Desired Heading Set Knob on the lower left corner of the HSI? I did see it slaved to the autopilot in a youtube video. But, I can't find that video again and there was only a passing mention of it being used in that manner.

Edited by dsobbe

Frederf is right the HSI merely displays information, it doesn't actually feed information into the autopilot. I'd guess the manual mode would be used as a fallback for some kind of nav systems failure, or to use as a directional guide for a manually-entered desired heading without ABRIS reference, though I'm afraid I don't know for sure.

Frederf is right the HSI merely displays information' date=' it doesn't actually feed information into the autopilot. I'd guess the manual mode would be used as a fallback for some kind of nav systems failure, or to use as a directional guide for a manually-entered desired heading without ABRIS reference, though I'm afraid I don't know for sure.[/quote']

I think you're right. I tried many autopilot setting combinations with no luck. But in a way you can get a backhanded manual function by turning off any waypoint selected on the PVI-800. Then, when you turn to a new heading and release the trim switch the heading bug locks on the new heading. Close enough for government work. :smilewink:

Yeah, the most effective way to get what you want is to set the DT/DH switch to the centred position and re-trim. If you then enable route mode it'll hold that heading as well as speed while maintaining level flight. I believe this is referred to as 'route without task'.

I find this to be the most reliable autopilot configuration for most dynamic multiplayer missions where there's a long flight to the target area.

A good tip is also to map the Heading AP channel (or all of them) to a key and disable it long enough make course adjustments before re-trimming and re-enabling. This saves having to touch the trimmer without having to also fight the AP as it tries to return to the previous heading, making course adjustments a lot smoother and quicker.

This might not be too realistic but it works for me.

This might not be too realistic but it works for me.

Actually, it is realistic. In the real world the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method is often much safer, simpler and more efficient than trying to configure complex navigation systems just to get from point A to B. Especially on short routes.

I meant the part about disabling the heading selector channel' date=' I don't know if real Ka-50 pilots would fly it in this manner.[/quote']

Sorry. I misunderstood you. That's a good question.

If the real autopilot functions are the same as the sim, your use of the DT/DH switch seems reasonable.

Unfortunately, we may never know. The cockpit layout modeled in the Shark appears to be the type typically seen in pre-production development A/C. That is, off the shelf systems stuck in with not much regard for dedicated application or layout. For example, the marker beacon selector switch conveniently located in front of the yoke between your knees? :P By the time the A/C goes into production most of those cockpit systems would be replaced by updated, standardized units with much more automation and ease of use; including a functioning heading bug. Still, our current Sharks are interesting to operate. And finding a few non-standard work-rounds is part of the fun. Besides, you don't have to worry about getting a face full of dirt if you screw it up.