Taxiing with Canopy open

javelina1

Large aircraft are always bullies

:D

That was the second time that same F-16 got tipped over like that. The first time was during on engine run and it jumped it's chocks.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

i taxi with canopy open, unless it gets too loud and bleeds through the mic when I PTT, then I close.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

That was the second time that same F-16 got tipped over like that. The first time was during on engine run and it jumped it's chocks.

Yeah , We had 718 in Kunsan (IIRC, is the tail Number), it got transfer to the 80th back on 2008. It was an after Phase run. IIRC, it did not jump chocks, the ice on the ground allowed the aircraft, chocks and all to slide until it tip.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Oh, we were told it jumped chocks.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

I like to open the doors on the Ka-50 when I'm hovering. Does that count ?

why not? :) I do so with the Huey too.

Just the other day, I took off with the A-10C, canopy open... duh! :doh:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

You are not supposed to have your canopy open when turning.

Wrong, you can taxi all day long in an A-10 with no issues. F-15s close their canopy as soon as #2 is started and spooled up. And they start #2 prior to #1. LOL at 4 pages discussing taxing with the canopy open.

Canopy open? Yes or No

Hello to all Sym Flyer`s.

If I remember back in time as I was an Maintenance crew chef for the Tornado Pa-200

it is not allowed to roll out with canopy open.

Why?

The Canopy is a sensitiv system what´s combined with the jack release and canopy yettison system by activating the fiering seat handle. Before the Seats activate there are several mechanical and electrical signals and movements what makes the cabin disconnect from the aircraft. Means the two metalbars what are connected to canopy and aircraft have designed fractures. So if the canopy gets activated them metallbars rip apart in only one direction. So the canopy can easaly rip of the aircraft. Not bringing up the MDC Miniature detonating cort.

So if you roll with opened cabin on taxiway the metalbars with its designed fractures can easily become damaged because the aircraft is rolling and bumping a bit.

Now if a pilot needs to ejekt the mechanism of the canopy can be corrupt and make trouble in the clock work system.

It can happen that the ejektion seat activates while the cabin is not fully opened or blown away.

• Thanks 1

On missions or free flights where it's just me messing about and don't really care - I will pop the canopy in flight on my way home or even earlier to get even more engine noise. It's pretty great in all the aircraft.

Now you have something to do this weekend!

Also a cool thing you can do with your canopy off and pants on (or also off);

1) Pop the canopy just before a strafing run

2) Strafe a..BWAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRMMMM!!!

3) Get a warm fuzzy feeling and smile widely

The sound is just something so badass and awesome, always makes my day.

• 2 weeks later...

gotta admit, this is pretty cool. I selected a mission, with a random start. And there I was, on the tarmac, with the canopy open. I could hear the rain drops hitting all around me.

I'm pumping this all through a 5.1 A/V receiver, (and had it cranked up a bit). My Wife came in and thought, wow, that sounds like real rain....

cool stuff! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 5 years later...

In my days launching and recovering F-15C and F-16C jets, we never had a pilot Taxi with the Canopy open. But in the RF-4C and F-5E, it was common on fair-weather days to see them open. It basically depends on the aircraft and what the dash-1 recommends.

Considerations include:

- Disruption of the Ejection Sequence if needed on a zero/zero emergency punch-out!

- FOD potential from items being sucked out of the cockpit and into the intakes.

- Noise and weather conditions.

- Canopy Hinge Hardware Issues and turning loads or wind considerations.

- On taxi out, it saves time if ATC pushes you for a rolling takeoff request to expedite the traffic flow.

My immersion factor in DCS is based upon "What does the real-world procedures call for" and so for me, knowing what the aircraft manuals and local guidelines dictate helps guide my simulation procedures. That data is available to the average Joe and fun to follow.

JUICE

Edited by =JUICE=
  • Thanks 1

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]