MiG-19P Navigation: The ARK-5 ADF - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #21
baltic_dragon
3rd Party Campaign Creator

The old mission was built for the old version of the ARK-5. The new one is being completed and it is completely redone to reflect the current (and final) implementation of the system. Cheers!
M-2000C RED FLAG (more info) (trailer)
Please check my FACEBOOK PAGE for the latest news and information.
baltic_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #22
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Here is the difference between the real ARK-5 device and the simulated one:

If any of you had ever seen a pre-WWII radio, you would have noticed that they were big, heavy and had buttons for different frequency ranges, usually SW and MW.

An old family friend had one. That specific radio had buttons for SW1, SW2, MW1, MW2, MW3 frequency ranges, with a single frequency tuning knob. That radio must have cost a pretty coin in its day.

Anyway, in the back I noticed that the tuning knob moved a series of disks. Each disk corresponding to a frequency range.
The knob moved all these disks at the same time, and the buttons selected which disk was doing the frequency tuning.
All the disks began at the same 0 point, but the disks did not have the same circumference range. They had notches where the frequency range ended.

Here is the problem with the simulated ARK-5. We have the same disks, but since we do not have a sample device, all these disks are the same length. So what happens when you move a specific frequency disk, like the 310-640? So if the disk was at the middle of the frequency range for 310-640, which should be 475Khz, that middle position is not exactly the middle position for the 640-1300 and the 150-310 frequency ranges. But, since we are assuming that all three disks are the same length, we calculate the middle frequency for the other two ranges: 150-310 and 640-1300. But these calculated frequencies are not exactly the real ones, and thus you need to fine tune.

My decision to implement the two memories was based on this: the need to fine tune the NEAR frequency due to the inaccuracies in the frequency calculation. In real life, there was no need to do that.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Last edited by Zeus67; 02-08-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Zeus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #23
Harlikwin
Veteran

As a HAM this explanation made me cringe a bit in its simplicity... But thanks Zeus...
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #24
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlikwin View Post
As a HAM this explanation made me cringe a bit in its simplicity... But thanks Zeus...
LMAO. It is very simple, but it is the best way I could explain why it is difficult to calculate exact frequencies for different ranges based on the dial position.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."
Old 03-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #25
Maico249th

I like the systems as they are. Only thing I wish for is the ability to tune with the kneeboard as the MiG-15 does. This is My shortcoming and not the modules. Its hard for me to figure out when I am on the right station. It will probably not be an issue when I figure out how to read morse code.

EDIT: MORSE code in hand. Now I'm cooking w hot grease!

Last edited by Maico249th; 03-05-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Maico249th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #26
Maico249th

So I'm not really sure how the presets work in the sim.
I want to know Only in the sim how to set the presets.
I dont own a real Farmer. Here is my understanding,
Set LH panel Range selector, Tune in a freq.
Change the Homing selector, Tune in a new freq.
Now you can alternate between them using the Homing Sw.

The ME let's you put in 2 Frequencies.
One will be a Preset on the ARK-5P right panel.

What's is the other one?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:03 AM   #27
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico249th View Post
So I'm not really sure how the presets work in the sim.
I want to know Only in the sim how to set the presets.
I dont own a real Farmer. Here is my understanding,
Set LH panel Range selector, Tune in a freq.
Change the Homing selector, Tune in a new freq.
Now you can alternate between them using the Homing Sw.

The ME let's you put in 2 Frequencies.
One will be a Preset on the ARK-5P right panel.

What's is the other one?
The ARK-5 does not have presets. The frequencies values in the ME are used to pre-tune the ARK-5 to those values. If you move the tuning handle, those frequencies are lost.

I set that option as a help for quickly using the ARK-5, specially when a mission starts in the air and you have to land on an airport. So instead of looking for the airport's beacons frequencies, the ARK-5 is already tuned to them. But, if you tune to another frequency, those ME frequencies are lost.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
Maico249th

Thank You Zeus. And congratulations to the team on this excellent addition to DCS.
You dispelled a lot of misconceptions I had. Cool.
So now that we are clear on that, one last question.
In ME I set two frequencies one to NEAR one to FAR.
Does moving the switch in the pit from far to near toggle between them?
If I had only one request, it would be the ability to rotate that tuning crank using a key bind.

Thanks for your continued support.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
Zeus67
3rd Party Developer

Yes, clicking the switch from FAR to NEAR and vice versa toggles between those two frequencies.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #30
Airsoftronald

Hi all!
My ARK-5 works kinda strange. When I start on Sukhumi-Babushara, it doesn't see Sukhumi's inner and outer and sees only Kobuleti (489 outer in Sukhumi and 490 inner in Kobuleti).
And if I start mission on Kobuleti, it doesn't see its inner and outer
Airsoftronald is offline   Reply With Quote