Vietnam War - POLL - Page 19 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: With the aircrafts we have, should devs focus on creating a Vietnam environment ?
Yes, it would create a new dimension to the DCS World simulator 824 86.10%
No, I prefer 3rds to still work on aircrafts, and to fly in the same old Caucasus 133 13.90%
Voters: 957. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 AM   #181
Hueyman

I hope we'll see it some time soon ..

Almost 1000 members voted and 85% are for it.. it must come some time down the road ..

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #182
Frag

I would bet my own sister that the Vietnam map would beat the sale of the Dubai's one in few weeks after its release.

If I had a dime every time I read about people wanting a Vietnam map ... I would be out of misery.

This conflict is by far the most well known war after WWII.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #183
Hueyman

GOOOOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM !!!

Well, I'd say I really do not understand why we have no sight of a Vietnam map even today.

What's planned so far : Syria, other WWII theatre and Falkland right ?

Do you think there's a particular reason Vietnam is so overlooked ? If you read this whole thread, many people and some who seems to know well what they are talking about stated that such a terrain has a huge potential for the A/Cs we have now, in the hands of skilled campaing makers who are not afraid to go beyond conventions to really give the feeling of this so particular war.

I mean , common guys :

- WE HAVE : Huey, Mi-8, MiG 15, MiG 19, MiG 21, A4 Skyhawk, and F-5 , which is pretty HUGE for DCS !

- WE WILL HAVE : AH-1 Cobra, A-1H Skyraider, F4 Phantom, F100D Super Sabre, A6 Intruder, A7 Corsair II, OV10 Bronco, DHC-4 Caribou plus those I'm still not aware of !

That's roughly 15 aircrafts that will fit this particular terrain, with also great opportunity for Naval Ops with the nearby sea, and Combined Arms may finally have a good utility and expansion ..

I actually see only advantages of such theatre, and now we even have collidable trees !

1500km long, 400km wide roughly, 330 000 Km²... Its indeed a massive ammount of work to do and fill it appropriately, but for now, only Caucasus is really large and actually filled with details, others are mostly desert and Normandy slowly expands but that takes time.

I didn't find much on the current maps development, but I feel that only ED , Ugra Media and Razbam are doing the job, it's better than nothing but I see no other companies only dedicated to maps.

Anyway, let's continue dreaming and cross fingers, in the meantime here is the expression of my dreams coupled with what is achieved nowadays in the game indutrsy regarding Vietnam Green Hell ...

Enjoy !!!

Hueyman

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Last edited by Hueyman; 08-10-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Hueyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 AM   #184
zhukov032186

A Vietnam era would make me orgasm uncontrollably, tbh, and probably like 4 out of 5 other people, too. As others have mentioned, it's a sweet spot in aviation history. Supersonic aircraft, missiles, radar, guns and dogfighting without artificial hibbling or balancing, intensive multicrew, varied operations, respectable opposition... and great music. It is the Holy Grail of combat aviation, and strangely absent throughout gaming history. I only know of one campaign in the old Jane's Fighters that centered on Vietnam, and maybe one or two games on Korea.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #185
dmatt76

I believe there was a quite a good Caucascus reskin back in 1.5 with some Vietnam touch.

I would rather see tools for modders to easily change cities names and buildings, trees on the existing maps, so we could have such a mod again. ED is quite busy with their too many projects, Falkland map is just waste of time and resources, so the community is the only hope - like in ARMA 3. They just have everything - great Vietnam mods up to the modern times.
dmatt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #186
Frag

I am sure 100% that ED knows how a Vietnam map would be popular. Everyone knows that a Vietnam map would sell more that the Dubai map.

I think that the reason why it is not planned is due to the amount or work required as well as the processing power needed. TONS of trees and objects. This is the complete opposite of Dubai and Nevada.

I personally think that they know that this map would be the holy grail of maps. They are keeping that card in their pocket and wait for the hardware to evolve a bit ...than BAM they will hit us with it when unexpected in few years from now.

Could you imagine ... announcing DCS world version 3.0 with the optional Vietnam map. This would be a marketing dream for them, and a golden mine.

It will come. Just be patient. We just need to continue showing our interest into it.

Last edited by Frag; 08-11-2019 at 03:06 AM.
Frag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #187
moggel

Take my money!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:00 AM   #188
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatt76 View Post
I believe there was a quite a good Caucascus reskin back in 1.5 with some Vietnam touch.

I would rather see tools for modders to easily change cities names and buildings, trees on the existing maps, so we could have such a mod again. ED is quite busy with their too many projects, Falkland map is just waste of time and resources, so the community is the only hope - like in ARMA 3. They just have everything - great Vietnam mods up to the modern times.
Falkland Maps is a 3rd party project and actually the way for these developers to learn the ropes to build maps. The "waste of time" may(!) pretty much serve as a skill building excercise for them to take on bigger (Vietnam) maps. At least it would be another developer who is able to do a map...
and I am sure there is a bigger audience waiting for the Falklands (South Atlantic) than you think. For me it's an instant buy! Basically any map is! Can't wait for Syria and Afghanistan to see the light of day...

EDIT also keep in mind a Vietnam map would cater for a realistic environment for roughly the Huey, the Huey and maybe the Huey... add the way too modern MiG-21 Bis against the community mod A-4 Skyhawk and AI F-4 Phantoms and with much artistic license the F-5E3... Persian Gulf, Afghanistan or Syria are currently catering over half a dozen modules!

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Last edited by shagrat; 08-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #189
SFC Tako

napalm
Old 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #190
Silver_Dragon
DCS Ground Crew

By "Napalm" Mk-77 fire bomb has planned to F/A-18C hornet, but surelly has added to other aircrafts (F-5).

About the "actual" Vietnam modules:
-A-4 Mod -(comunity)
-A-6/KA-6 (IA) -Heatblur
-A-7E -RAZBAM
-AH-1F -ED
-F-5E -ED
-F-4E -ED
-F-8 Crusader -Magnitude3
-F-14A -Heatblur (yes, the F-14 was deploy on Vietnam: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_T...m_Saigon_(1975) )
-Forrestal Class Carrier (AI) -Heatblur
-Mig-19 -RAZBAM
-Mig-21Bis -Magnitude3 Not "exact" version but has applicable.
-OV-10 Bronco -Razbam
-UH-1H -ED

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube

Last edited by Silver_Dragon; 08-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote