PSA: Virtual CVWs should have a 'v' for 'virtual'

Nealius

E.g. 'vCVW-00'

With the Hornet already out there are a few vCVWs out there, and with the Tomcat releasing there will undoubtedly be more. Online groups are cool. Online groups are fun. Many strive for realism, which is also cool and fun. But vCVWs still need to be delineated as being virtual groups.

Why?

First, a precedent has already been set with virtual Fighter Groups (vFG), virtual Fighter Wings (vFW), and virtual Fighter Squadrons (vFS).

Second, there are three CVWs: The real CVW, the virtual group CVW, and media depicting aircraft of CVWs in DCS. Naming all three 'CVW' has caused unnecessary confusion and drama. People have duplicated established vCVWs. Members of vCVWs have accused YouTube content as duplicating a vCVW when it's just content depicting a CVW's jets. No doubt the latter is caused by the former, since having one's online group copied will understandably put them on edge a little, ready to pounce on the next person who tries to copy them. There's even been some confusion between the real CVW and the vCVW: Titling a video 'CVW-00' with a picture of a real jet, but having vCVW content, is essentially clickbait.

So to avoid confusion and adhere to the already established online community standards, please use an extra 'v' in your virtual CVW.

Man, I wish I had the time to worry about something as asinine as this. Seriously...........smh people can put whatever they want on it.

Edited by Ohgr

V/R,

Ohgr

VCVW-11 "Vapor"

USN AE 2001-2015

Heatblur Tomcat Tester

Well when someone sends you a message accusing you of copying an established vCVW just for making a cinematic titled with 'CVW-00,' this gets relevant real quick.

That and when some vCVWs upload content, and people ask them to indicate that they aren't the real CVW, those vCVW members go on a hissy fit about "we're a group of veterans blah blah blah." The community should be better than that.

Edited by Nealius

Well when someone sends you a message accusing you of copying an established vCVW just for making a cinematic titled with 'CVW-00,' this gets relevant real quick.

That and when some vCVWs upload content, and people ask them to indicate that they aren't the real CVW, those vCVW members go on a hissy fit about "we're a group of veterans blah blah blah." The community should be better than that.

Stop whining.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

> Tries to improve the community

> Gets attacked instead

I apologize for expecting rationality and decency from the flight sim community.

Let people run their groups how they want. You can run yours how you want. V or no V. Good day sir.

Edited by Destroyer37

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Ok, I've obviously been living under a rock ... what does vCVW stand for?

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

Virtual (v) Carrier(CV) Air Wing(W)

Specs:

Years ago when I used to fly online in another combat flight sim, the community was much smarter and less offensive than this. What happened? The 'v' was a common courtesy even if your group wasn't modeled after an extant fighter wing.

AFAIK, There is already a carrier group that does this, called the VCVW-11.

Yes, that is exactly what they should be doing. There are a lot of groups who don't, however.

I'm just here, growing up in a friendly, sensible sim community now finding a "screw the community we do whatever the hell we want" attitude growing prevalent. It's sad to see my hobby community's attitude getting worse and worse.

Edited by Nealius

Yes, that is exactly what they should be doing. There are a lot of groups who don't, however.

I'm just here, growing up in a friendly, sensible sim community now finding a "screw the community we do whatever the hell we want" attitude growing prevalent. It's sad to see my hobby community's attitude getting worse and worse.

Gotta say, I'm with those folks. Who cares? Unless these guys are legitimately claiming to be real squadron aviators and trying to gain tangible benefits from false claims of service, then there's no harm in them play acting, playing dress up, doing whatever they want with their time and effort. This nonsense of "rights" to the [virtual] squadron name is totally absurd.

You make a DCS group, name it after a real squadron, no problem. But don't go trashing someone else for doing the exact same thing.

"You don't own that squadron, the taxpayers do. Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

Call yourselves whatever you want, don't try to stop others from calling themselves whatever they want. Until someone dropped legal papers with a cease and desist, id tell them to stuff it.

And as for "offending" the real aviators of those squadrons, id be shocked if any of them gave a rat's behind. If you fly multimillion dollar war machines for a living, you aren't going to get your panties In a wad about a bunch of adults that like to pretend to be you. In fact, you probably get a chuckle and a bit of an ego boost out of it.

I'm still waiting for my time in the spotlight when people want to role play as REMFs.

Edited by Dino Might

I'm talking more about common courtesy towards the sim community. If you post a video that has a cover image of a real CVW-xyz jet, and title the video "CVW-xyz," that's going to cause confusion. Full stop. Clickbait. Full stop. Put DCS in the title. Put vCVW in the title. ANYTHING.

But these days courtesy is apparently lost on people...

I'm talking more about common courtesy towards the sim community. If you post a video that has a cover image of a real CVW-xyz jet, and title the video "CVW-xyz," that's going to cause confusion. Full stop. Clickbait. Full stop. Put DCS in the title. Put vCVW in the title. ANYTHING.

But these days courtesy is apparently lost on people...

Specs:

Again, just because you do something don't automatically lump everyone else into the same category. Oh and by the way your B-roll video doesn't have DCS in the title. Better fix that before you start preaching again. I mean, to the untrained eye your sitting on vultures row watching 512 fly by. I'm offended.

Specs:

Let people run their groups how they want. You can run yours how you want.

^^^

Sir if someone accuses you of copying them simply delete the message and move on with your life, don't waste your time and energy on pedantic stuff like this.. the bottom line is ... no one cares... well that's not true... a very small number of people care, certainly not enough to inspire change.

Its a game... you do you... ignore the haters.

I mean who cares if someone clicked on a video thinking it was real jets and it turned out to be DCS?

Life's to short to worry about nonsense like that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

I'm offended that Maverick is not the real fictitious character from the 1980s screenplay that unrealistically represents real naval aviators.

You should rename yourself [DCS]vMaverick

He has a point Maverick....

Specs:

@ the "Who cares?"-faction here ... he just made a suggestion in the hope that people might consider it. You disagree? Fine, then don't consider it. But wtf is the point here in actively fighting against his suggestion? Seems that YOU care way too much, not the OP.

*facepalm*