Ultrawide Monitor question / suggestion

Hello Guys,

I am writing this post to gather some information concerning the use of ultrawide monitors on DCS.

To be honest with you all, i am quite lost to many parameters to take into account:

- flickering

- G-Synk compatibility (do you guys know what this realy does ? do we need it)

- ect...

My the first analysis i came up with 3 compatible G - synk monitors.

- AOC 35" LED - AGON AG352UCG6

- HP 35" LED - OMEN X 35 (X3W57AA#ABB)

- Acer 35" LED - Predator Z35P (UM.CZ1EE.P01)

nevertheless i read ghosting problem, flickering issue. I think these issues are link to the system it self ( Hardware configuration), but never could have the information.

I don't think i will encounter any issues with my set up.

My set up:

- CPU : I7 4790K

- GPU : MSI Geforce 1080

- Ram :32Go

Do you know what is the difference between G-synk and Free-sink?

Do you guys have another monitor suggestions?

Do you have any suggestion on the monitor choice?

Please note: i don't want to go on VR, i feel sick after use of it...

Thank you in advance!!

See you soon in the sky!

Edited by Pegazus

You can check what Freesync and Gsync means here: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/variable_refresh.htm

Basically it's changing the monitor refresh rate to match your fps to eliminate tearing.

Freesync is now supported also by Nvidia. Just note that Gsync compatible is Nvidia's way how to refer to Freesync monitors and its not the same thing as full fledged Gsync which requires a HW module in the monitor. Generally Gsync monitors are much pricey than Freesync ones, but you have a sort of quality control involved there too as the manufacturer must guarantee panel specification due to the HW module inside. With Freesync you have to check on the monitor reviews first to prevent nasty surprises with panel quality.

As for Ultra wide monitors, they are fine for DCS. You should aim for 3440x1440 resolution with your graphic card.

Ghosting, well you should check the monitor reviews how the panel performs and see if it is ok for you or not.

As for flickering, this may happen when you have bad DP cable, wrong Free sync / Gsync setup or driver problem. Never seen it happen though.

You can check on good monitor reviews here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

https://pcmonitors.info/

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Thanks for your help i will do as you suggested!

See you soon in the sky!

Make sure that's *NATIVE* resolution. Monitors can support lower resolutions, but the picture will look terrible.

Also, with 4790, I would make sure that it can drive that high of a resolution with DCS. Well, I guess it would matter what settings you're using.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Make sure that's *NATIVE* resolution. Monitors can support lower resolutions, but the picture will look terrible.

Also, with 4790, I would make sure that it can drive that high of a resolution with DCS. Well, I guess it would matter what settings you're using.

I have the very same processor and have no problem.

Once you get to the 1440p pool, you are mostly limited by GPU.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Just wanted to chime in and say that you are making a good choice.

I went with an AMD GPU and FreeSync display last year and I have no regrets at all. It was $300 dollars CAD cheaper to buy Asus Strix Vega 64 and a 35" 21:9 3440 x 1440 curved FreeSync display from Asus than it was to buy an Asus GTX 1080 and Asus G-Sync monitor. I used that saved money to move to 32GB RAM in my system and get drunk.

Since you already have the 1080, I might suggest the X35 would be a good value, or you can spend more on an IPS panel if you are concerned about colour accuracy. I believe that X35 Omen is a VA panel, very similar to my Asus XG35VQ, which is FreeSync. IPS has better colour, but VA has inky blacks that I suggest viewing in person. They also tend not to suffer from Black Light Bleed, as expensive IPS panels do.

In general, I would just make sure you are dealing with a place that will accept a return if you have dead pixels, or bad black light bleed. I hate the idea of ordering something for $1500 dollars and then being told 'those dead pixels are within industry standard' so I would try to buy local if that makes it any easier.

Oh and your CPU should be fine but a bit longer. 32GB RAM really helped with the Hornet module, and adding nice wide monitor makes everything better.

Antec P280 | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus 7 | i7 8086K @ 4.9Ghz on Thermaltake 240mm CLC | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 @ 2400Mhz | Asus Strix Vega 64 8GB | Asus Strix XG35VQ w/ FreeSync

Samsung 960EVO NVMe for DCS and Windows 10 w/ other storage for stuff

TrackIR 5, TM WH Stick + Throttle + TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...