A10C full link16 functionality

Yeti42

Are there any plans to update the A10C to display link16 information from other aircraft, in the same way as the F/A 18 new functionality in the upcoming beta release?

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

The A-10C uses SADL (Situational Awareness Data Link, an Air Force integration of the Army's EPLRS) instead of Link-16 and those systems are not really compatible with each other AFAIK.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

They are with a "bridge" to join the systems. But it's something that ED needs to think about carefully, as they are simulating a network outside of each module. http://www.g2tcg.com/tactical-communications-group-adds-situational-awareness-data-link-sadl-capabilities-to-its-tactical-data-link-communications-solutions/

[edit: it's probably not exactly what the OP thinks in terms of compatibility, I think SADL is limited in it's data, for example receiving Link16 it can't handle some of the more interesting datasets like the flight number, fuel state, because it doesn't natively have them, if the DCS implementation is to be relied on. It likely can contribute only a fraction of the data that L16 can handle too. Hence it's quite a pain to know the gaps and hence the reason they need to bridge the systems with a broker to normalise the data.]

Ultimately DCS has the easier job because all these things are just transparent to planes. All you really need to know is if there are any limitations to the data passed from one to the other. Considering the DCS server knows "everything", it is the network and can share. But the problem arises more at a gameplay and game design level.

I'm sure they said they would look at it later. I don't expect it to be high on their priority list. It's high on mine, but nothing I ever want on my list fits with ED's! :)

The A-10C uses SADL (Situational Awareness Data Link, an Air Force integration of the Army's EPLRS) instead of Link-16 and those systems are not really compatible with each other AFAIK.

Edited by Pikey

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

@QuiGon SADL provides a gateway to Link16, they are compatible obviously when the link16 data is served through the Gateway.

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

They are with a "bridge" to join the systems. But it's something that ED needs to think about carefully, as they are simulating a network outside of each module. http://www.g2tcg.com/tactical-communications-group-adds-situational-awareness-data-link-sadl-capabilities-to-its-tactical-data-link-communications-solutions/

[edit:

I'm sure they said they would look at it later. I don't expect it to be high on their priority list. It's high on mine, but nothing I ever want on my list fits with ED's! :)

Thanks Pikey, very informative. It would be very useful for the A10C to display bogey info supplied by AWACS and F/A 18's

@QuiGon SADL provides a gateway to Link16, they are compatible obviously when the link16 data is served through the Gateway.

Even on a old suite 3 A-10C?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's on a Dev post somewhere around here, but the 18, 15, and 10 will all be able to talk to each other.

You'll need a gateway ...

... half the USAF A-10 and F-16 fighter force in the Air National Guard are equipped with Situational Awareness Data Link (SADL) gear that cannot inter-operate with Link 16 unless there is a "gateway" which has radios for both data links, and a computer system that can interconnect them and translate the data.

Edit:

ED may have a simple network model with a E3 (or similar) acting as the 'gateway' for all of DCS's data links ...

E3 (SADL/Link 16/Link 4)

:

:<---> F/A-18 (Link 16)

:<---> F-14B (Link 4)

:<---> A-10C (SADL)

... so as long as the A-10C is in line of sight/radio range of the gateway, it can get improved SA from other members of the network.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what today's patch brings.

Edited by Ramsay
Simplify the network model

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Even on a old suite 3 A-10C?

The Link 16 <---> SADL bridge is done by a 'gateway' aircraft or ground station, to the A-10C, the data is the same as if it came from another A-10C/F-16 with SADL.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Some folks forgetting in this thread that the gateway broker can only allow information to pass that each other system can deal with. Positional systems they both share the data and the possibilities could be realised, but SADL is different and has some more basic features - i.e. you cannot invent data from one that does not exist on the other.

e.g. just because there is a gateway doesn't mean SADL can understand what a fuel level for an F-18 is. i.e. just because there is a broker it doesn't mean SADL gets more detailed understandings, it just means it can share what it has and share what it receives that it could understand. With SADL there's only very basic crossovers on positional data. It's still cool that it's possible of course, but people need to understand limitations are not magical.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

You'll need a gateway ...ED may have a simple network model with a E3 (or similar) acting as the 'gateway' for all of DCS's data links ...

I > THINK < this is how it was done in real life...But I cant find supporting evidence...Still looking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Some folks forgetting in this thread that the gateway broker can only allow information to pass that each other system can deal with. Positional systems they both share the data and the possibilities could be realised, but SADL is different and has some more basic features - i.e. you cannot invent data from one that does not exist on the other.

e.g. just because there is a gateway doesn't mean SADL can understand what a fuel level for an F-18 is. i.e. just because there is a broker it doesn't mean SADL gets more detailed understandings, it just means it can share what it has and share what it receives that it could understand. With SADL there's only very basic crossovers on positional data. It's still cool that it's possible of course, but people need to understand limitations are not magical.

SADL understands J-series (TADIL J/Link 16) and K-series (SADL VMF) messages. Anything shared on the Link 16 network can be shared and understood by a SADL terminal through the gateway.