Problem with PVI-800 NAV Target mode

Hey, all.

I've recently been getting to know the Ka-50 quite well and thus far I have gotten my head around every thing mentioned in the manual or online... that is until today.

I am trying to send the PVI-800 a target NAV via the Shkval, yet despite my best efforts, the coordinates are always entered incorrectly, and the NAV point is more often than not some distance behind me, off to one side.

Here's the process I go through:

I start by locking a target with the Shkval

1191975250_ShkvalLock.thumb.jpg.64dbe951ff3134a68b795e6a6dd90967.jpg

I then switch the PVI-800 into edit mode, press the NAV targets button, press 1, then press "Uncage Shkval", then Enter on the PVI-800

1474400238_PVI-800Edit.thumb.jpg.a18aee0b50a67dfa03804ba6109113c1.jpg

Then, I switch the PVI-800 back into operations mode, press on the NAV targets button and on the number 1.

1664794754_PVI-800Operation.thumb.jpg.6c856dc05f8f8a7a05f16ae0d0aae7c8.jpg

After this process, the HSI is pointing nowhere near the target, and after cross referencing the PVI-800's target nav coordinates with an ABRIS map marker on the actual target, I find it to be ~2 minutes off.

My question: What am I doing wrong? What steps should I be taking to make this work properly?

Not sure about the first part, but regarding cross referencing with the ABRIS, are you sure you have configured the correct coordinate format? The ABRIS can be switched between degrees/minutes/seconds and decimal degrees. By default the ABRIS uses DMS but the PVI-800 uses DD.

Hey,

In the Abris change the cordinate system in settings from Degrees/Minutes/Seconds (DMS) to Decimal Degrees (DD).

Romiko Derbynew

---------------------------------------------------------------

Intel® Core i5-9600K CPU @ 4.8GHz

Corsair Vengeance XMP 32GB - CMW32GX4M4C3000C15

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Gamzing Z 8GB

MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC Motherboard

NZXT H500 Case

EVGA 650W P2 Power Supply

NH U12S CPU Cooler - 2 fans

2 Inlet fans - Noctua

2 outlet fans - Noctua

Thanks for the answers, and in hind sight, I do recall this difference.

but, in spite of this, it does little to answer the original issue. The PVI-800 is taking the coordinates from the Shkval, as well as a number of parameters from the aircraft. The ABRIS is independent and would only have affected my cross referencing.

It is worth mentioning that when I put the PVI-800 into "NAV Targets" mode, the HSI initially points to the Shkval target. However, as soon as I try to input the Shkval's target as a coordinate, by pressing "1" on the pad (To assign it to the first of ten potential target nav points), followed by the "uncage Shkval" button (To transfer the Shkval target position to the PVI-800) and the "Enter" button on the pad (To confirm the process), the HSI (And input coordinates) are no longer aimed at the target.

I understand that you're recording NAVTGT positions by Shkval capture. Troubleshooting procedure should probably be broken down into two parts:

1. Are the captured coordinates correct to Shkval position?

2. Is Shkval position on deploy equal to captured coordinates?

Set up a target (tank) with known coordinates and capture it. Then read the PVI and see if those coordinates are correct to the tank's position.

First of all, if you want to use the Shkval method don't forget to switch to the I-251V (UP), or the process lead to save the coordinates of your actual position at the time of the uncage.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by flanker0ne

Flanker is the master of the KA50!!!

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

• 7 months later...
First of all, if you want to use the Shkval method don't forget to switch to the I-251V (UP), or the process lead to save the coordinates of your actual position at the time of the uncage.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

Could you please give some advice on how to use shkval to locate targets by their coordinates?

The thing is that I save the coordinates with the metod described by the OP, but when I enter them myself separately or sending them to others, the shkval doesn't locate the target correctly.

Using the coordinates saved by using shkval works, but when I write them separately, shkval doesn't point to the target.

EDIT

Ok, the DEVs wrote that this feature isn't working, hopefully they will fix this in near future...

Edited by Diablo_rf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS World - The Best Modern Combat Simulator

One of the main things to keep in mind is that the Shkval / PVI-800 does not take elevation into account. So while you are nicely sparkling a laser at your target to get range and bearing, the system will calculate these coordinates as laid out on a pooltable, meaning perfectly flat, 2D space.

Without elevation taken into account, the 3D position is off and you need to consider this when getting targets via datalink from one of your wingmen. The more elevation between you and the target, the greater the error.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo