Default Livery Reflective Issue

Magic Zach

Not even sure if this is a bug, which is why I'm not putting it there.

Why is there such a huge reflective difference between the fuselage and the wings? It's rather ugly, and doesn't look right with the fuselage. Is this lack of polish to the wings historically accurate (maybe to reduce the sun glinting off of the plane, giving it away irl)? If it is, then why isn't it also applied (or lack of it, rather) to the fuselage?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ehhh... I think the textures just haven't been updated for PBR. While it's true some Mustangs had the wings less shiny than the fuselage, not all of them do. You can find pictures of both cases. Also the flaps glow dark blue at certain angles with some of the normal textures... Which is definitely not correct.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Thats an issue as well, but the flaps are something different. Its only the flaps and not the rest of the aircraft. Maybe its only VR idk.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

This again.

Wings of the Pony were puttied, sanded and painted for the sake of lower drag in the brand new designed laminar flow profile. Later it was proven that it was not so necessary but it was already done, just ground crews were probably dismissed from repairing the pristine factory finish. Still, all of the Mustang kept the feature and horizontal stab and control surfaces were also painted.

So no bug, mistake, or whatever, just a good documentation effort on ED side.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Stop being silly. Go take an actual look at a couple of pictures and you'll see some were, and some weren't.

"I read that he said, she said....." and "ED are pros they must know what they're doing".

Notice how on the real aircraft the flaps don't glow neon dark blue from certain angles either? Or is that another sekrit detail that ED picked up that no one has ever seen in the real world before??? The textures just haven't been updated for the new lighting system. Period.

9./JG27

Stop being silly. Go take an actual look at a couple of pictures and you'll see some were, and some weren't.
Yeah, because highly polished current flying Warbirds are the actual and real 1944 thing. Maybe it's not me who should stop being silly... :huh:

"I read that he said, she said....." and "ED are pros they must know what they're doing".
:doh: I don't know if they do know, but I do know what I know as a modeller,

attachment.php?attachmentid=202747&stc=1&d=1548105538

attachment.php?attachmentid=202746&stc=1&d=1548105538

S!

44073574_10217748880657521_3165339323184709632_n.jpg.469ecac960488617ad60aca34e947b5f.jpg

18033295_10155155866956704_4930571582400833829_n.thumb.jpg.4c33f0a465607798316c5b67925f45fb.jpg

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

That wing is almost certainly not bare metal, but being painted another colour (OD?). The second picture, while not polished like the fuselage, still looks nothing like the current default textures.

P-51H.jpg

P-51D-10-NA_Mustang_44-14214.jpg

cJIscTJ.jpg

QofrnVo.jpg

nXo5OAP.jpg

aeN3b1b.jpg

ogR3r9C.jpg

j1uXKIT.jpg

ZlJnX1J.jpg

5WKokvA.jpg

9./JG27

Aha, now that I see it on screen I see what you mean. Its much darker in VR. Either way its far darker than it should be. Even if the sky was lighter I think it would still not be quite right.

9./JG27

Hmm... maybe I'm crazy but... doesn't the sky get darker or lighter blue depending on your current latitude?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Many of the default skins were made long before - and therefore had the specular layers tuned - for the lighting pre-2.5.

The OpenBeta P-51 defaults seem to have addressed this.

The wings were primed, painted silver then lacquered so should appear different to the fuselage on a clean/fresh airframe.

However as some the photos posted here show, most operational aircraft were left exposed to the elements, those surfaces left in natural metal finish oxidised and a dull patina developed which tended to bring the reflectiveness down to a similar level of the painted/lacquered wings.

It's disingenuous to use restored aircraft as reference points in discussions such as this; they are far more carefully tended to in terms of aircraft finish, with further complications provided by the fact that some owners paint the entire a/c silver (saves maintenance in polishing the NM areas from developing the patina that comes with any aluminum exposed to the atmosphere) and the fact that paint technologies have come on an order of magnitude over the past 75-80 years; the silver paint of WW2 is a very different composition than those of today, and as such will have different properties in the way light reacts to it.

EDIT - I stand corrected. None of the skins made by ED that ship with the Mustang Module by default have apparently had their specular layers adjusted for 2.X lighting, even in the OpenBeta. All the NM skins exhibit the over reflective NM elements and the matt appearance (looks almost like grey paint, not silver) of the silver painted parts.

If in the interim you want some nicer looking ponies then i'd start here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=6&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=85&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=reflected&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

Edited by DD_Fenrir