How many modules can you fly without

Marcq

Loosing track of the correct way to do things?

I'm down to two, Mirage/Su-25T, more then that and I'm all confused, asking silly questions :joystick:

Marc..

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

F/A-18, I still don't know much of how the weapons systems work. That's why I'm afraid to do any combat, and have a more chill time on AO.

Edited by Magic Zach

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

It's funny but FC3 planes are a lot harder to me in that sense because I cannot click on the the respective cockpit button/switch/lever, and - if I haven't mapped certain controls on my HOTAS, and then subsequently not remembering the keyboard shortcut (all the while flying VR), I am screwed.

So I would say the Su-25 variants in FC3 are the ones I lose track of how to do stuff the most.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

It's funny but FC3 planes are a lot harder to me in that sense because I cannot click on the the respective cockpit button/switch/lever, and - if I haven't mapped certain controls on my HOTAS, and then subsequently not remembering the keyboard shortcut (all the while flying VR), I am screwed.

So I would say the Su-25 variants in FC3 are the ones I lose track of how to do stuff the most.

Same for me.

I have all the buttons/switches mapped on my HOTAS - I am currently flying the Mirage2000 and FA18 with a bit here and there F5E. The FA18 is still in learning phase for me, but it works. Mostly, because I can click the buttons in VR, which I havent mapped to physical switches on the HOTAS. That makes it way easier for me to remember functions, since I know where I need to look at.

Before I started buying all the modules (I played for ~2 years DCS 1.5 with only Flaming Cliffs) I had no problem flying the F15, Mig29 and Su25, but now I feel it hard to keep them correctly in the air. Thats how things change :joystick:

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

1.5. I fly the Hornet and sometimes the Yak. When the Tomcat comes out I'll spend enough time to get decent at it but I'll never be good enough to use it proficiently.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Counted I have a total of 18 platforms to learn. Fly 2 of them actively. Changes from month to month. The only aircraft I can make some use of in an actual mission. But a couple more are useful for that boring day when you just want to wipe off the dust from an old friend lying in the hangar. It was a smart move to get all the helicopters. One jet I still haven't touched at all.

I blame the earlier late autumn sale from ED.

And oh yes I couldn't do without any of my three maps and CA is a core engine feature!

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

I have currently 14 aircraft in DCS (modules marked in bold are the ones I have mastered systems wise well enough to employ them with good effect):

- P-51 Mustang

- Spitfire

- Bf 109

- Fw 190

- F-86 Sabre

- F-5 Tiger II

- MiG-21 Fishbed

- AJS-37 Viggen

- UH-1H Huey

- Ka-50 Black Shark

- A-10C Warthog

- AV-8B Harrier II

- Mirage 2000C

- F/A-18C Hornet

I fly all of them actively and know them all very well with the exception of the Spitfire (somehow I can't get used to that darn thing) and the Harrier (it's still too bugged/unfinished for me to really dive in).

It's getting increasingly difficult for me though to stay current on all those different aircraft, because as the list of aircraft gets bigger and bigger it gets increasingly difficult to find the time to fly them all regularly.

Additionally I also own Flaming Cliffs 3 and Combined Arms. From all the FC3 aircraft I've only really flown the F-15C, but I don't fly it anymore since we have good high fidelity alternatives now with the Mirage 2000 and the F/A-18C. Just like FC3 I find CA too simple to really enjoy it, which is why I haven't used it much and would have to learn some stuff about it before using it. I would definitely dive into a high fidelity tank module if someone decides to make one for DCS :)

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We should not feel too bad. I believe it is quite rare in the USAF for a pilot to hold more than one type rating at a time. Now we know why.

Not only in the USAF etc. - But also airline pilots usually have one or two type ratings, as far as I know.

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

haha, you caught me :smilewink:

The props are not too hard to master and not forget it, the all have the basics and that's about it.

With the Jets and ka-50 with its systems, LOL..oh man...you can get LOST. Maybe 2-3.

I settle with the Ka-50, FA-18, Mi-8 and maybe the TomCat, I own much more but as you say, only so much will work, any more and you start going nuts.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I've had DCS for many years, buying in to the A10C as the first module after FC3. For some reason I didn't learn it for MANY years until last year when I started learning the A10 and got OK in it, then I stopped lying again due to different reasons and remember almost nothing from it.

Thankfully I got back in to it all a couple of months back and now I fly more than I ever have. The three (and 2 almost) modules I count my self OK in are the Viggen (I am Swedish, this is a dream come true), the F18 as it is the newest module and the one works best for a true fighter (Not counting the Mirage which doesn't interest me that much) and the KA50 simply becuase it's awesome. Huey and the Gazelle have been on and off but I am OK in those two as well once I get a few minutes to refresh.

I have come to realize I probably won't be able to get good in all or many modules which means I will try and aim for a few of them, in which case I will choose to spend extra time in the Viggen and the F14 once it is released, partialy due to them both being Heatblur but also because they are non fly by wire, the F18 just feels a bit more boring compared to the slightly older birds :)

I had hopes/goals of learning the SU27 and Mig 29 well but I simply get bored too fast with the lower fidelity planes and I miss the clickable cockpits and advanced systems.

/Wilbuz

Umm...

The F-18 is the only one I own...and I'm just getting to where I feel like I might take it online.

Still need to be more familiar with the Comms system and making adjustments to the radar though...

don't hesitate to enter the world of chaos. tehere are many players don't know how to fly but messing in the servers.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I own and fly all the modules. My HOTAS is setup so that they are all @90% the same across the board.

Yeah, that's the trick. I'm trying to find a compromise for key bindings, between a realistic and a consistent mapping throughout all aircraft.

We should not feel too bad. I believe it is quite rare in the USAF for a pilot to hold more than one type rating at a time. Now we know why.

Unlike they are test pilots. Those guys can have quite a number of ratings at the same time.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah, that's the trick. I'm trying to find a compromise for key bindings, between a realistic and a consistent mapping throughout all aircraft.

Unlike they are test pilots. Those guys can have quite a number of ratings at the same time.

My FC3 aircraft are all bound very similarly but the only thing common about my full fidelity pits personally are my comms switches, and that's only because of SRS Radio. If SRS allowed for different profiles at the press of a button, or a dropdown menu I'd honestly love it, as reaching for a button on the hotas that doesn't correspond with the hotas in the cockpit still feels weird as crap.

Personally, I enjoy matching my hotas as closely as I can to the real thing. It takes 5 minutes using the hotas diagrams from the manuals, where as trying to make a "common set" requires much more thought.

From there it's all about developing muscle memory within any given aircraft. I haven't flown the A-10C in quite some time, or the harrier, but I'd be familiar with the controls in either after one sortie. Kind of like I haven't played my bass in months but if I were to go pick it up I'd still be able to play.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

This , the clicky cockpits cuts out the nonsense of messing with keybinds (only fly in VR). For this reason I have very little time in the FC aircraft and tend to stick to the full fidelity modules. I`ll have to try the F-15, but much rather the full fidelity version. Luckily we`ll have the F-14 and later F-16 to get to grips with. The F/A-18 is a great module and I imagine great practice for the Viper.

I own and fly all the modules. My HOTAS is setup so that they are all @90% the same across the board.

If the question is how effective are you.....I am terrible in each and every one. :)

Same here. 18 modules. Will alway be average or below average on each of them. When I don't use one of the modules for some time I have to refresh ans re-learn. At my age I consider that useful braintraining. Having a standard HOTAS set up for all helps a lot.

don't hesitate to enter the world of chaos. tehere are many players don't know how to fly but messing in the servers.

I'm planning to do so soon.

I just flew my first F-18 mission last night (one of the included missions where I was bombing targets and needed to destroy 50% of them, bottom of the list on included missions),

First flight: Dropped bombs on my first pass, looked back to see the fireworks and see if I got a good hit (I did!) Looked back to where I was going and had just enough time to notice the SAM before it hit me. I swear it flew into the canopy. I fly VR and I actually had to stop for a few moments after that to re-collect myself. Intense.

Second flight: Dropped bombs, took out an enemy helicopter, did two more passes and got mission goal accomplished. But I still had bombs. On my next pass I saw my wingman get taken out by a SAM, dropped my bombs and then I also got hit. Ejected and watched the battle from the ground for a moment.

One more try...

Third flight: Never made it to the battlefield. Never saw what hit me, but pilot was killed instantly. (didn't watch track, my guess was a missile from a red-team boat? Maybe some AAA from an enemy boat? Radar was clear and I didn't see any enemy planes nearby).

Still, love this in VR. Absolutely amazing.

Same here. 18 modules. Will alway be average or below average on each of them. When I don't use one of the modules for some time I have to refresh ans re-learn. At my age I consider that useful braintraining. Having a standard HOTAS set up for all helps a lot.

Just being average in DCS is an impressive achievement I think... working on that myself :worthy:

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS