Shakersynth - Bass Shaker Synthesizer

Jarpy

Shakersynth

If you fly helicopters in DCS and you have a bass shaker setup, you might be interested in Shakersynth.

Shakersynth is a new experiment in driving bass shakers by using real-time audio synthesis. Right now, it just does rotor vibrations for the UH-1H, Mi-8 and Mi-24. I really like how it turned out and thought other people might like it.

Get it on GitHub.

Demo Videos

Play these videos through your bass shaker(s) to feel the rotor effect at startup.

Edited by Jarpy

Cool! In the process of hooking up my transducers to SSA and the soundmodule (just need a few more pieces of hardware), but something like this is really what I was looking for. I even made a few enquiries if the soundmodule could work like this. Can't wait to try it out with the Huey.

Edited by RabidRider

Nice. Enjoy your new rig!

Let me know how it goes. The user experience of Shakersynth is not at all polished and I'd love to know if it gives you any trouble. I run it as a complement to SSA+SSSM. Shakersynth does the rotor, and SSA does the rest.

Hey cool,

I'll give it a try. I always wanted to build something similar in SSA but time is a limited resource...

For the new prop engine effect in SSA (with the jetseat) SSA follows a similar approach...

Edited by f4l0

I'll give it a try.

I am honoured!

I always wanted to build something similar in SSA but time is a limited resource...

Ain't that the truth? When I think about all the effects you support, on all those modules, I get dizzy.

For the new prop engine effect in SSA (with the jetseat) SSA follows a similar approach...

Ah, I thought it might! It's very dynamic and feels great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Version 0.5.0 is out now.

It features a completely new synthesis technique for the rotor effect, giving bigger shakes with a more organic feel. The configurable frequency mentioned above (v0.4.0) is no longer supported or needed.

It also fixes several bugs that could cause audio distortion and clicks.

Big thanks to @RabidRider for feedback and testing.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

0.6.1 is out now.

Fixes a bug where fixed-wing aircraft can get a rotor effect. I jumped in the A-10C II and it felt like it was about to do a vertical takeoff. That's cool, I guess, but not exactly realistic. 😉

So this app can run paralell to our normal SSA setup?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Version 0.7.0 is out now.

I accidently left the Mi-24P out of the Lua export script, so it couldn't produce effects. As penance, I made Shakersynth handle the installation and updating of the export script automatically. You no longer need to manually install the Shakersynth.lua script (though you still need to add one line to Export.lua the first time you install Shakersynth). This also means I can update the export script in future, to add other modules or effects, without inconvenience to you, the pilots.

0.7.0 also features a new configuration file system that allows enabling/disabling individual effects. If you delete shakersynth.yml in C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\Shakersynth, a new file will be created in the new format with the new defaults.

Edited by Jarpy

• 3 weeks later...

Finally tried this out.

The effect is very good, however running to an order of operation issue where if I start shakersynth before simshaker, simshaker doesn't get any data.

Also is there a way to launch via the CLI and target a specific audio device without requiring interaction? I know enough python to mess this up pretty good if I try and add argparse to it myself...

• Like 1